openSUSE 12.1 released

Discussion in 'all things UNIX' started by mack_guy911, Nov 17, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mack_guy911

mack_guy911 Registered Member

2. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Downloaded the Gnome and KDE CDs yesterday, also the DVD. Servers were very fast. I know it's not too popular, but I'm really liking Gnome 3.2.

3. Beavenburt

Beavenburt Registered Member

:thumb: Me too. I really don't know what all the fuss is about regarding gnome 3. I find it quite intuitive and useful, as well as stable.

As for opensuse, it's not my cup of tea because I find their package management system strange. I'm sure it's a great OS though.

4. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Yep, I think Gnome 3 is great... I have to wait a few weeks and can't do it right now, but I plan on installing openSUSE 12.1 and living with it for a while to see how I really like it. In the past I have stuck with Ubuntu mostly, but I'm ready to try something different for a change. We'll see how it goes...

5. Beavenburt

Beavenburt Registered Member

fedora 16 also has an up to date gnome. Combined with fedorautils it's pretty good.

6. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Ok, might give that a try too. Fedora is good. In time, hopefully a lot of the other distros will adopt Gnome 3 also.

7. mack_guy911

well to be honest i am not into gnome 3x much but i downloaded kde version its pretty stable and nice i am running it in vmware no crash so far :D

8. linuxforall

linuxforall Registered Member

Tried it, the gnome version, old SUSE story, hard to install nvidia or ati drivers, PITA to enable wireless, had to use YAST. Even Fedora was friendlier than SUSE. I would stick to Ubuntu, MINT or PCLOS.

9. wat0114

wat0114 Guest

It's funny how some distros work better or worse for others, and it seems to be contingent upon the hardware it's installed on, because in my experience I find openSUSE to be far better than Fedora, although mint has always taken top spot with me.

10. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

My experience with the Gnome version wireless was simple as pie. Worked fine, and easy to enable. 3D worked out of the box, no driver issues. On my laptop openSUSE is all around the best for me....

11. linuxforall

3D works with the built in noveau but for video acceleration, you need to install proprietary drivers and that remains a royal pain in SUSE.

12. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Ok, fair enough. I guess what appeals to me most is that everything seems to just work out of the box for me on the live cd, and I like the new Gnome. Granted, there may be other distros that are easier to deal with, but so far I'm impressed with how it's working on my machine here.... But as always, to each his own... :)

13. mack_guy911

14. linuxforall

mack guy, no nvidia or ati released yet in community repos.

15. wat0114

wat0114 Guest

'suse 11.4 supported my nVidia 7900GTX's no problem, though I don't know about this release.

16. s23

s23 Registered Member

17. mack_guy911

18. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

19. mack_guy911

thanks very much iceni60 for confirming :thumb:

20. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Black Friday brings you a black post. This is a long review on openSUSE 12.1 KDE 64-bit edition on top of modern laptop with Nvidia card and installed to external USB device in multi-boot configuration, covering items like live CD use, Wireless, Bluetooth, Samba sharing, desktop effects, applications, multimedia playback, Xen and KVM virtualization, stability, suspend & resume, system resources, and many errors including failed services, inconsistent system menu entries, missing repositories and packages, missing multimedia plugins, application and desktop crashes, Xen problems, and more.

http://www.dedoimedo.com/computers/opensuse-12-1-high-end.html

Cheers,
    Mrk

21. lodore

lodore Registered Member

I Have had similar problems with the last few opensuse releases. opensuse is like fedora IMHO its nice but it always breaks at somepoint because its more of a testing ground rather than stable workhorse.

22. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

We continue what we started last week; the second review of openSUSE 12.1, 32-bit edition with KDE desktop tested on low-end hardware, following an earlier 64-bit edition test on a high-end machine, covering differences from the previous test, installation with BTRFS and use, desktop effects, system resources, many new problems like failed installation attempts, multiple application crashes, high system load, slow responsiveness, and more. Follow me.

http://www.dedoimedo.com/computers/opensuse-12-1-low-end.html

Cheers,
    Mrk

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.