openSUSE 11 Out!

Discussion in 'all things UNIX' started by Coolio10, Jun 19, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pedro

Pedro Registered Member

Sputnik, from that quote alone, i notice the "dual licensed by Novell".
    It's almost .net, licensed by Novell, not MS.

Whenever MS comes with FUD about patent infringements issues in 'Linux', think of this kind of arrangements.

2. Sputnik

Sputnik Registered Member

Dual-licensing is not uncommon:
    (PS. Not bashing of course, just try to learn from each other :thumb: )

3. lodore

lodore Registered Member

back to the topic of opensuse is out.
    i have just installed opensuse to my really old pc using a net install.
    i updated it.
    i then opened the package manager typed in opera searched one click and it was installed. thats easier than installing opera in windows.
    cant get flash player to work. search for flash player in package manager ticked it and clicked install let it finish and then lanched firefox and still a plugin was missing even thou i had installed flash player ugh.
    was hoping it was gonna be as easy and quick as installing opera was and would then work when i reopened firefox.
    any ideas?

also i told opensuse to shutdown and then it should a shell for a few seconds then went back to a gui with a progess bar the bar got to the end but it did not shutdown. i will wait for a while. hopefully it will shutdown properly dont wanna mess it up already lol.

4. Sputnik

@lodore
    Go to the following page for codecs and Flash-plugin:
    http://opensuse-community.org/Multimedia

The shutdown procedure like you describe is correct, just wait a little and see what happens.

5. Pedro

Pedro Registered Member

I'll stop lodore. I just felt the need to warn people. This is a problem.

Sputnik, it's not the dual licensing that's at stake (although that isn't peaceful on its own), it's about the license holder.

It's not Novell's to give you see.

6. lodore

lodore Registered Member

thanks Sputnik
    works great:thumb:
    tryed java and flash in firefox 3
    probaly try in opera 9.5 tomorrow.
    it didnt seem to shutdown so i presssed the off button and it went off right away. its like it had finished shutting down safely but it was still on.
    happerned again on the second shutdown as well.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2008
  7. Sputnik

@lodore
    Probably the computer does not shut down automatically, I remember the same thing with old Windows 95/98 computers, or old computers running XP. Not a software issue, hardware related.

@Pedro
    It's all fine comrade, and I do respect your opinion. I think we both look at it from a different point of view. Too be honest with you, in the (quite near) past I had almost the same point of view like you have. Though due my work and studies my point of view slowly changed. People with different points of view keep the OSS community balanced, which is a important thing.

8. lodore

lodore Registered Member

i like opensuse one hella alot. i may even dual boot on my main pc.
    will need to resize C:, then start the installation of linux making sure i install the bootloader on to the partition of linux and not overwrite the mbr then the vista bootloader to load linux.
    or i could even replace the vista bootloader with grub.
    the opensuse installed on my old pc has windows as a second option on the bootloader. so im assuming if windows was installed that boot entrie would boot to vista if vista was installed on the pc.
    may do it in a few weeks time when im off college and got some time.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2008
  9. Sputnik

10. lodore

lodore Registered Member

Hello Sputnik,
    thanks for the little gift. will download them later.
    i just wish creative would get there act together and make x-fi drivers for linux.
    i may try out kompiz fusion with my nvidia 8800gt graphics card:D
    i use KDE4
    what do you use?

Last edited: Jun 21, 2008
  11. Sputnik

@lodore
    Personally I'm a huge Qt4 fan, it's a pleasure to program. Though I must admit that I use Gnome since version 2.16. At work I use Fedora (and CentOS) both with Gnome interface and became familiar with it. Ok I shouldn't lie, most of the time the CentOS is command-line. ;)

I'd probably switch back to KDE after the 4.1.x release, I did run the 4.0 beta's and also submitted patches to the KDE team. Stability wise Gnome is rock-solid, it hasn't failed me ever. Though I do miss features and the Qt toolkit... :(

My opinion, if KDE4 runs stable for you, go for it! It'll only get better and better.

12. Sputnik

I assume you already installed the NVIDIA drivers?
    http://en.opensuse.org/NVIDIA

Unfortunately I can't help you with audio thingy's. I have onboard AC'97 crap witch always works since 2002 :ouch: , and no experience with Creative or Auzentech cards.

13. lodore

lodore Registered Member

acually no i havent installed the nvidia drivers well at least not from that link and havent noticed it being installed
    i added the nvidia reposotory when i setup yast2 system updates.
    dual booting linux with vista does seem to take a while to get it to work from reading around. so im not sure atm.
    i had some crashs with KDE4 plasma today when adding widgets. at one point it was so bad the gui disapeared and i couldnt get it back without a reboot.
    so im gonna have to make sure im prepared for the dual boot of vista and opensuse as well as probaly waiting a while before i use KDE4 its very nice but not very stable atm.

14. Sputnik

@lodore
    You might try Gnome or KDE 3.5.9 from the DVD of course :) There are enough stable choices around.

15. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Installed this one last night and I have to say it just keeps getting better with each release. The new installer was excellent, did it all pretty much automatically without any problems. Very very nice look and feel. Using KDE4 here. No issues so far, and some nice features. Only thing I had to do was install the libxine1 libs from Packman repository to get Kaffeine video working. Mp3 playing was there out of the box, as is flash. Performance is pretty good. If you do have issues with KDE4, then Gnome is probably more stable right now, and a good choice also. I do like Gnome a lot, but wanted to check out the new KDE. Anyway, SUSE is always one of my top favorites/choices. Like this 11 a lot.

16. SystemJunkie

SystemJunkie Resident Conspiracy Theorist

I installed a little vm version, the very good aspect is, internet connection worked immediately in contradiction to windows xp in da box.
    But I miss more features and more software, they copied some design parts of vista. Imho its becoming boring pretty fast but maybe it was only because of the first try. Definitely more cool add ons respectively gimmicks needed.

17. L815

L815 Guest

OpenSuse finally ran well on my Laptop compared to other versions. The issue this time where with yast and dependencies which kept giving me errors. I then gave up -_-

OpenSuse is a beautifully made distro IMO :)

18. Longboard

Longboard Registered Member

SUSE11 with KDE 3.x going great in a vm: very nice installer.
    The Xfce was a bit overcrowded and neded some wt loos surgery to get organized !! and seemed not to have the usual 'speedy' feel.
    KDE 4 froze once or twice
    Gnome is OK but SUSe was originally default KDE and so I sticking with that protem.

As to the License isssues; no doubt a concern, but convergent evolution is not neccessarily a bad thing and if MS wants to flex some muscle later... fdisk ;)

Doesn't ubuntu also use some tool called mono which is part of this licensing deal ??

19. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

I kinda expected bugs with KDE4, but I have to say that I have seen none yet after running it for a week here... I guess it depends on a variety of things like hardware and usage.... But I am pleasantly surprised so far..

Haven't tried Xfce for a while, not in SUSE anyway...

20. Longboard

\
    Yeah: was a bit surprised to see it.. just a test: lol: the app launcher list went off the top of the page in the initial set-up :eek:

If you want to play with desktops : install frugalware: cant recall exactly but ALL the desktops there :great fun.

Slackware: has a serious wow factor: just don't criticise the OS no matter how screwy it may appear: the slackonistas will hunt you down ...;) lol.

Slack and xfce = very nice. Check Zenwalk or Vector : really complete systems.

21. Pedro

Pedro Registered Member

22. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Yep, have used Zenwalk a few times and really like it, it's pretty minimalistic, but very nice if you're looking for that kind of setup. I stuck with it for about 2 months last year....

I am told Sidux is very nice, that's on my list to try out next....... I found some image software for Linux and made a few images of the SUSE 11 setup, so with any luck I can try others and then return to this setup easily. I am pretty much sold on SUSE at this point. For some reason, I just love it.

23. Longboard

Ya; :) been there; liked it: needs some more repos and apps for me, but fast +++ : I like the minimalist distros ( esp Puppy flavours : check out the "Puplets" http://www.puppylinux.org/downloads/puplets : Teen Pup even on distrowatch. LOL: Kauler refers to FF as "the very large browser" install )

?? which what where ??

24. Pedro

Pedro Registered Member

I wasn't aware of that Longboard. The thing is, although i'm most curious, we gots 1 life only :p . I will keep an eye on Puppy.

25. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Regarding image software for Linux, there are several. The one that works best for me is Clonezilla:

http://www.clonezilla.org/

It's free, supports all kinds of file systems, seems to work well without any snags, etc. I did an image of my SUSE HD (entire disk) onto an NTFS partition with no problems at all. It stores the your partitions, including swap, as well as boot loader info, the whole thing. Kinda cool. Compresses it down to various levels, your choice. Get the Clonezilla Live and burn it to CD, then boot off the CD and take it from there...

Handy dandy util.... :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.