openSUSE 11.4 released

Discussion in 'all things UNIX' started by mack_guy911, Mar 10, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mack_guy911

mack_guy911 Registered Member

nice review again mrk pretty fair review i also got trouble with installing theme a bug error expect that everything work like charm in 64 bit in virtual box

we also looking forward to see stability of suse 11.4 gnome version in your review

2. mack_guy911

is that what you mean@TerryWood

http://www.pendrivelinux.com/what-is-persistent-linux/

3. TerryWood

TerryWood Registered Member

Hi Mac Guy911

Persistance according to what I have read means being able to save any changes that you make to your setup (in Linux and or documents etc) so that they are carried over to the next boot up.

If you think about it there is not much point in using a USB flash drive if you cannot save any changes or files produced.

I like the idea of using a flash drive its better than using a live cd and in my opinion better than using the WUBI installer where two operating systems are effectively on your systems. Disk Images become nightmarishly large etc.

There are only a few distros that can produce live USBs whether through the live CD or independent software (Unetbootin). Any new distros has a strong possibility that it cannot make a live USB until the likes of Unetbootin play catch up.

This is what makes laugh about these rave reviews of distros (Like OpenSUSE) and yet its obvious that there are fundamental flaws in that they cannot do basic tasks.

Anyway, still awaiting anyone who can help me produce a Live USB for OpenSUSE 11.4

Thanks

Terry

4. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

So the entire linux experience funnels down to persistent live cd? No.
    Mrk

5. Tony

Tony Registered Member

Quick question, what is the best system monitor for OpenSuse?
    Years ago i remember using Superkaramba for KDE.

Nice review Mrk, i dont think i would have tried this if it were not for reading your review first, the live cd plays very nice at the moment.

6. TerryWood

Hi MRK

"So the entire linux experience funnels down to persistent live cd? No.
    Mrk"

NOT AT ALL

If you put yourself in the firing line by putting out such a laudatory review, surely you must expect some come back, particularly if people, like me have their own views.

You are an expert (with your own website to boot). I am not an expert. BUT that does not make my view any less worthy than yours. You look at things from your "expert view" I look at mine from where I stand, that is in a great forest trying to see through the trees. Many of these trees are grown by experts.

When a glowing report is created it has to be on this planet. It is no good if on the one hand the latest distro has aspired to the pinnacle of "expertism" whereas the lowly plebs (like me) ask "where do I do this" or why does not OpenSuse make creating live USB at least as easy as some or better than everyone else".

If the basics are not catered for, your review is meaningless to those who want to learn. It becomes a cult magazine for those who really serve themselves and NOT the community.

I apologise, if my words amount to a calumny on your undoubted expertise, but not everyone is an expert. And not everyone wants to climb to the pinnacle of "expertism". Put simply, if distro developers are to be true to their ethos, we want simplicity. Not, a scramble to achieve technical superiority with obscurity.

I think we can have both, but not the way that development is currently carried out. Linux will not match Windows. Ever. unless there is dramatic change amongst the developers, and amongst their aspiring audience of technophobes.

In this thread, we may not agree on most things. But, surely we can agree that Linux is not going to userp Microsoft any time soon. Why? With Microsoft you have to pay in blood, with linux they give it away and still their market share is derisory. WHY?

Terry

7. wilbertnl

wilbertnl Registered Member

Excuse me butting in here, but from reading this discussion I understand that any MS Windows release is useless because it doesn't support a basic beginners task like PERSISTENT usb drives.

There are a few Linux distro's available that support this feature out of the box, why not select one of these distro's?

When you buy a car, you look for the features that matter, you don't go to a Ford dealer and scoff at them because their line doesn't offer some Cadillac feature that you are interested in. Instead you go to a Cadillac dealer, no?

The truth is that even Linux is not developed with persistent usb drives in mind, the fact that people are able to get this to work is amazing.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2011
  8. Mrkvonic

Hi Terry,

I don't see how usb persistence has anything to do with market dominance or Microsoft. Staying on topic, persistent live usage is sort of a paradox in terms, because you're to achieve something that is unnecessary.

If you want a persistent live session, you can change your grub and fstab to boot partitions read only and use a secondary device for writing data session or mounting home to an encrypted partitions or alike. This can be done with any Linux. You will achieve the same results. Frozen system, data preserved.

And if you want the live thingie, Puppy is the answer. openSUSE and most big distros are not designed for this kind of thing. Not that it can't be done, but it's definitely not the core business and not even a tertiary one.

Nothing to do with expertism or the relative weight of our opinions, either.

Cheers,
    Mrk

9. Tony

Tony Registered Member

After playing with Suse and everything working fine i decided to install.
    All seems to be ok, reboots and goes through final configuration then it goes to a box in the top left corner of the screen best way to describe it is like a terminal with text home/tony, tried my root password and it only logs onto root as it would in a terminal.

nothing happens from here and i have to force a shutdown.
    On restart it seems to start booting ok but as it comes to the login it goes back to the terminal box again.
    Tried a failsafe and acpi=off but the same result.

Any ideas what to try?
    I have tried an install from booting the live cd and from when the live cd has loaded with internet connection.
    A bit disappointing as the live cd works flawlessly.

Thanks

10. TerryWood

Hi MRk
    You are wrong. You, as I said are very knowledgable, indeed just ask a novice to look at what you wrote in your last post. One can see "glazing" immediately in his eyes. You just don't get it, you will never get it, because you have forgotten what its like to be a beginner. You justify things in your terms because you are a "self proclaimed expert"

Experts are only any good: a) If they know their stuff. b) If they talk the language of those who are not experts. Best way I can describe it is this:

Using ones knowledge for the benefit of others not the aggrandizement of oneself.

For experts this can sometimes be difficult to achieve.

On the specific topic of OpenSUSE, and as a non expert (which I think qualifies my views pretty well with those who want an opinion) OpenSUSE is well down MY list of distros that earn the rave reviews that you put out on it.

But of course, it is just my opinion. Since I am not an expert. But I always recommend to people don't listen to experts, make your own judgement!

Terry

11. wat0114

wat0114 Guest

Puppy live cd is excellent for this, from my experience. The cd will even boot faster once the particular file (can't remember off hand the type) is saved to the h/drive.

12. Eice

Eice Registered Member

"Not the aggrandizement of oneself"? Cool. Since you bring that up, now sounds like a good time to educate you that people don't have to buy your flawed opinions before they are "any good".

13. Tony

Tony Registered Member

I have Opensuse installed and working fine now, 4th install worked this time.:thumb:

14. wilbertnl

Terry, I don't understand what makes it okay for you to take your anger over your personal struggles with Linux out towards forum members.

We all have been beginners and we do remember our own struggles.
    The situation then is not any different from the situation now. We also were surrounded with experts who used a language that was not familiar to us. Check it out yourself, grab computer magazines from the nineties and you see the same language.

But we got where we are now and we didn't glaze our eyes. We were dedicated and excited, we even turned our enthusiasm for our hobby into careers. This is who we are.

The suggestion that you need to select a linux distro that supports the features that you care for is beginners language, simple English. Is it not?
    Linux is in that aspect just like Windows: You select antivirus software for the features that you care for and you accept any pro and con that comes with the product.

I must assume that your attitude serves you well in your life, We are happy to have you as a forum member here, Terry.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2011
  15. mack_guy911

maybe this help

http://en.opensuse.org/SDB:Live_USB_stick

when u make a live usb with usb creator they ask you how much disk space you want to leave to save your data (ie mostly some files .....etc)

its given i ubuntu/fedora live usb creator check this one in this week

please note that some changes can save to live usb like downloaded files......etc some applications also work

its dosent mean you make a live usb and apply all changes updates........software install.......etc and they work

some things may or may not work on usb

also as above mentioned by some users you can try puppy linux is your want usb base linux distro

edit: sorry i corrected the above link

also i like to add live usb i mean here is usb pen drive not hardisk

Last edited: Apr 17, 2011
  16. Mrkvonic

Terry, what I wrote in my last post is geek-deluxe, no argument there. But ask a novice what he thinks about persistent live usb thingie. Do you think those are words of a novice or suitable for one. Since you know what persistent live usb stuff is, then you already master 90% of the stuff required to get underway, hence my language was calibrated accordingly.

And my review is just that - an opinion. As good as any's.

Whether you like opensuse or not is a different story altogether.

Mrk

17. mack_guy911

what might causing the problem any idea o_Oo_O??

18. Tony

Tony Registered Member

The only difference the 4th time was that i manually formatted the partitions before installing??

The only problem i am having at the moment is occasionally my keyboard and right/left click sometime becomes unresponsive for a couple of minutes or so, but the touchpad moves the pointer oko_O

19. Tony

Tony Registered Member

Solved the problem about the unresponsive keyboard and right/left click, something to do with desktop cube, disabled it and no problems since.

And now i seem to have lost two finger scrolling on my touchpad, all settings are correct, synaptiks installed but it is no longer working.
    Solve one problem get another lol.

20. Goggles

Goggles Registered Member

For persistence you could Google for "backtrack+persistence". Infosec has a pretty good blogg about it.
    Basically, you need at least a 2 gig flash drive or larger. Use fdisk to delete the partition and create a new one or more. The partition that will hold the .iso should be slightly larger for updating, 700mb + 300mb maybe. Set it to FAT32,"b" in Hex. Use the rest of the drive remaining as persistent storage, partition 2. Then, mkfs.vfat /dev/sdx and mkfs.ext3 ...it's in the infosec guides. Now use Pendrive linux to walk you through the process of UnetBootin.

Not too difficult.

P.S.
    Looking through Distrowatch I found this solution also, Epidemic Linux.
    http://www.epidemiclinux.org/

Last edited: Apr 18, 2011
  21. JConLine

JConLine Registered Member

Well, I've been a newbie since DOS 3.0, still consider myself a newbie. I now have five computers actively in service, including Ubuntu Server (which I installed and configured just for fun). I dual-boot on three computers and run straight linux on the other two.

I download, install, and set-up every distro just to see how it works. Also, I have set-up a persistent live usb stick, and as I said, I'm very much a newbie!

And, I enjoy the techie talk, it helps me know what I need to study.

Jim

22. BenB

BenB Registered Member

To Terry Woods,
    I am using the openSUSE-11.4-GNOME-LiveCD-i686.iso I have had success creating a live USB drive with persistence which appears to now be working. I don't know if it will work in all instances or whether there is an easier way but for a noob like me it seemed to work fairly easily. My only problem now is with getting an rtl819xse driver so I can use my wireless network on my laptop.
    On my first attempt I tried to create the usb drive using Universal USB Installer from Win 7 and let it format the drive but this didn't give any persistence as it formatted the whole drive to one Fat partition. I also noticed on boot up that it was looking for another partition with persistence files but couldn't find them.
    Then on my second attempt I manually reformatted the drive (a 4GB stick) to one 1.5 GB FAT32 partition (using Gparted) and set the boot flag. I also created a second ext2 partion that almost filled up the rest of the drive. Using Universal USB Installer I then installed the live system from the iso onto that 1.5 GB partition. When I booted this up it sort of worked but it gave me the vital clue. It had automatically created another ext3 partition in that little bit of space left on the drive but it wasn't big enough to work properly.
    So on my third and finally successful attempt I left the installed system on the 1.5GB FAT32 partition and just deleted all the other partitions on the drive leaving the space unallocated. I then booted OS from this USB drive, selecting the Live option. In the process of booting up it automatically created an EXT3 partition on the rest of the drive which it set up for the persistence.

Hope this may help if you haven't yet any success.

Ben

23. loli22

loli22 Registered Member

to Mrkvonic

before you say Wow, superbe, or anything like that, please do try to install any distro you review on anything different than a laptop, you might be surprise.
    after reading your review i decided to give it a try, download...burn dvd...install...so far so good...reboot and bingo, no keyboard and no mouse.
    i 've done it twice whith the same result.
    my workstation is HP xw 6400.

my point is there's something very wrong with the "superbe" opensuse 11.4

24. Mrkvonic

Hi loli,

First of all, my test machines are laptops. I don't have spare desktops for tests. Second, it is possible there might be something wrong. Either with the distro, your own testing, both, something else. Third, my review is an OPINION. Therefore, you may like it, agree, disagree. That's all.

Cheers,
    Mrk

25. wilbertnl

Fascinating that keyboard and mouse are recognized during installation.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.