openSUSE 11.4 released

Discussion in 'all things UNIX' started by mack_guy911, Mar 10, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Konata Izumi

Konata Izumi Registered Member

How do you backup and restore in Opensuse? :doubt:

2. wat0114

wat0114 Guest

There's a way in openSUSE to backup and restore the home here, but if you want to backup the entire system, then Clonezilla Live CD works very well and it's free.

3. Konata Izumi

nvm I gave up on opensuse and all other KDE distros just now... I find Opensuse slower than Win7...

or maybe I did something wrong... I'm going back to Win7 again for now and wait for newer distros..

4. wat0114

wat0114 Guest

Too bad but hopefully you find something you like. I find newest suse to be mostly excellent, not without a few minor issues, although the same can be said about Win7 anyway. Linux, imo, is getting to be very close as a viable alternative to Windows, and obviously for some it already is. For myself I've been using suse only for about a week now, and I really like Win 7, so that says something about how good suse has been for me. Part of it is understanding Linux and how to use it effectively, and I'm getting there slowly, so that helps a great deal.

5. mack_guy911

mack_guy911 Registered Member

well i dont like to compare windows with linux as they are different platforms

I use linux because i love to use it .............not because window vs linux or which is better :D

hmmm as far kde ......... if you make multiple desktops pause them and use only one at a time or you get performance lack :blink:

my advice to you is chose the distro you like the most and stick with it for a while you have +ve and -ve of every operating system

if you look for speed and stability go for gnome ones

if you look for eye candy stuff go for kde ones and have dual boot or triple boot with windows

Last edited: Mar 18, 2011
  6. lodore

lodore Registered Member

ive given up on opensuse 11.4 for now.
    kdm doesnt automatically load and only lo network interface shown. (should have eth0 and wlan0)
    i will try in a month or so when the issues have been solved.
    laters...

7. FastGame

FastGame Registered Member

Was using 11.4...until I added the Tumbleweed repo, now I have the rolling release version :cool: plus I added the repo hxxp://download.opensuse.org/repositories/KDE:/Release:/46/openSUSE_11.4/ which brought in the latest KDE 4.6.1.xxx :D

Fonts don't look as good as PCLinuxOS, Mint, Ubuntu....Flash sucks as usual in Linux :rolleyes:

Other than that everything is working fine :)

8. lodore

lodore Registered Member

an update:
    i did a reinstall of opensuse 11.4 on my desktop.
    things are slower coming together.
    this time ifconfig listed the network interfaces and internet worked.
    even thou network manager is installed and the tray icon is shown in kde by default network manager doesnt control the interfaces. to solve this issue you have to open yast,network and use the radio box to use network manager. click on apply/ok and network manager works. kde become very slow after i made the change and wireless didnt want to enable even after accepting the admin prompt that appeared. after logging out and back in seemed to solve the issue. wireless now works.

i couldnt get any sound from my creative x-fi soundcard to start with. i tryed unmuting creative x-fi with the kmix tray icon and changing x-fi to default device. once again the tray icon defaults dont matter you have to adjust the default sound device in yast. i have posted this in the opensuse forums and hope in future releases there is only one way to change the defaults.

9. kjdemuth

kjdemuth Registered Member

Hey how do I uninstall opensuse off my boot options? I installed it and now I still have the boot opton on start up. Any ideas?

10. Konata Izumi

hey Linux Mint 10 Debian (LMDE) is nice :)

11. lodore

lodore Registered Member

which operating system do you currently use?

12. kjdemuth

WIndows 7 home premium. I actually just formated my HD and re-installed windows 7.

13. wat0114

wat0114 Guest

Too bad, I think a Startup Replair would have worked.

14. Sputnik

Sputnik Registered Member

You could try the freetype build from this repo:
    Code:
    http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/home:/muzlocker/openSUSE_11.4/

15. FastGame

FastGame Registered Member

Thanks Sputnik

Already tried that plus installed Windows 7 fonts, for some reason suse has a problem rendering W, X, V, Y, A, upper&lower case....they're faint and thin unless I use bold type o_O

Edit= I dont have this rendering problem with web pages/browsers, only system/application fonts... weird :(

Last edited: Mar 21, 2011
  16. kjdemuth

Nah startup repair didn't work. I tried a bunch of stuff before re formating. Thats ok I had re-installed win7 2 wks ago. I didn't have a lot of things set up. Thanks for the help though.

17. dan_maran

dan_maran Registered Member

Is anyone else seeing issues with SSD performance _after_ initial updates?

I installed OSuse 11.4 x64 and it was flying and I was loving it, still am at the work desktop too, but as soon as I updated I get the dreaded stutter when trying to type or delete anything. I mean anything, web address in Firefox, commands in the terminal, editing or typing a document is useless. Initially i thought my partition table was screwy so I wiped the drive and started with a Gparted setup so <duck>Win7</duck> wouldn't create that 100mb drive and screw it up. Same result happened after the first update, I can't seem to tell which one does it and I can't stand to try and find out as typing is so unbearably slow, we're talking 3 second pauses for every few lines.

The drive is a Mushkin 90 with a Sandforce controller, I am almost 100% positive it is not the drive because 1 it doesn't happen in windows and 2 I had SL6 on here before with no issues what so ever. It does however tickle my brain that there was a similar issue in Arch x64 with my intel ssd(not available for testing, gaming rig).

Last edited: Apr 1, 2011
  18. wat0114

wat0114 Guest

Using OCZ Vertex 2 with no noticeable problems after suse updates. Is the firmware for your SSD updated?

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 31, 2011
  19. CogitoTesting

CogitoTesting Registered Member

See, I told you so. Who knows maybe your next article would be about how you like Gnome 3. :D.

Thanks.

20. Eice

Eice Registered Member

Quick question: does anyone know if there's an equivalent of "apt-get autoremove --purge" for zypper? Thanks.

21. Sputnik

Sputnik Registered Member

I see, it's really a shame font rendering ain't so well done on openSUSE like it is on Ubuntu. For the record, the 'official' community packages for subpixel hinting are also make available in the meanwhile.

Code:
    http://repos.opensuse-community.org/subpixel/openSUSE_11.4/Subpixel.repo

22. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

I promised and here it is:

All right fellas, here you go: A very long andenthusiastic review of openSUSE 11.4 KDE 64-bit edition, tested and installed on my LG510 laptop with Nvidia 9600M GS card, covering live session, best KDE4 looks, Wireless, fast Samba, Touchpad options, safe and sane installation, post-install use with programs, multimedia support - MP3 playback, Flash, Java, fast package management and updates, community repositores, Nvidia card setup, desktop effects, games, printing, virtualization with Xen, KVM, VirtualBox, and VMware, system resources, stability, some application crashes, suspend & resume, comparison to other distributions, and more. Enjoy.

http://www.dedoimedo.com/computers/opensuse-11sp4-kde.html

Cheers,
    Mrk

23. wat0114

wat0114 Guest

Mrk, that's a very good, detailed review. After a full month I'm still liking this distro so much, it's usurped my previous favorite, Mint, as my new favorite. I played around briefly with Marble this am and it didn't crash on me in map view, but I'll give it a more thorough test later on. My one and only issue with this release is I can't find drivers for my Samsung CLP-600 printer, although this has also been the case with a couple other distros I tried. Only Mint has so far provided me with a working driver. Other than that, no real problems.

24. TerryWood

TerryWood Registered Member

Hi

This super review would be really topped out if someone could explain how to create a live USB with persistence. I repeat WITH PERSISTENCE.

There are many items on the web on how to do a NON PERSISTENT Live USB. There does appear to be a problem with PERSISTENCE

I am trying to get to grips with OpenSUSE 11.4 KDE version 64bit I am on Windows 7 running OpenSUSE as a Live CD. Anyone got any experience creating a live USB with PERSISTENCE

Thanks

Terry

25. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

I have not tried, but I could try ...
    Mrk

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.