Opening port 80 in firewall - possible consequences of this?

Discussion in 'privacy general' started by jbionic, Dec 25, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jbionic

jbionic Registered Member

Apache server requires port 80 to be opened in firewall in order for other users be able to access web-pages hosted on my home server. I wonder what other negative consequences this may have for overall computer security, and how I can mitigate the risk of privacy intrusion (I consider any recommendations, including changing the firewall. I currently run Windows firewall in Windows 7 (64bit) environment)?

2. Cudni

Cudni Global Moderator

3. hierophant

hierophant Registered Member

@jbionic

Why are you doing this, if I may ask? Is there another way to achieve your goal?

If your users are on other local machines, and you trust them, and if your LAN is behind a NAT router or firewall with no open ports, you'll probably be fine. If, OTOH, you'll be serving a website to the open internet, you'd better know what you're doing, or you'll probably end up pwned by some script kiddie.

4. jbionic

jbionic Registered Member

I know how to open a port in Windows 7, and my station is not behind a router. Should I allow the 80 port to be opened for httpd.exe (Apache exec) only, or for any inbound connections in firewall? Does anybody run Apache server and know what to do?

5. hierophant

hierophant Registered Member

IMHO, just get a low-cost hosting account somewhere. If you're determined to experiment, use an old machine with nothing important on it, and put everything else behind a NAT router/firewall. And BTW, you'll need a fixed IP address.

6. xxJackxx

xxJackxx Registered Member

This was what I did when I set up a site. You can get shared hosting for less than $6 a month.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.