OpenDNSCypt server location

Discussion in 'privacy technology' started by popcorn, Aug 22, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. popcorn

popcorn Registered Member

Hi,
    After updating OpenDNSCrypt to Version 0.0.6 Beta Upgrade 2 I have noticed the DNS server location changed....
    It had always been the same swedish server forget the name exactly but somewhere.sweden.opendns.com sums it up, my VPN provider is Swedish so I expected this.
    Now the DNS server is located in my country.... m1.lon.opendns.com,
    Am I missing something?
    How does OpenDNS know my location when I'm behind a VPN?
    Thanx popcorn

2. jedisct1

jedisct1 Registered Member

Hello Popcorn,

It's DNSCrypt, not OpenDNSCrypt. The protocol is fully documented and the proxy can work with any servers. I will soon release a server-side proxy, so that anybody running a recursive DNS server can add easily add support for DNSCrypt.

OpenDNS doesn't have any servers in Sweden. In Europe, they have servers in Germany, UK and Netherlands. So, it looks like you are routed to the ones in London right now.

So, presumably you weren't using their DNS servers before, but the one provided by your Swedish VPN provider.

That said, a VPN authenticates and encrypts everything, including DNS queries. So if you use a VPN, DNSCrypt is redundant.

3. Victek

Victek Registered Member

For the record the shortcut that is installed in the OpenDNS folder in the Start Menu is labeled "OpenDNSCrypt". If you open the program folder you will also see a number of files whose names begin with OpenDNSCrypt.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2012
  4. popcorn

popcorn Registered Member

Hi jedisct1
    my mistake the servers are in the Netherlands....

Your DNS test results

We detected the 1 DNS server listed below.

WARNING: If you are connected to an anonymity/privacy service and ANY of the servers listed below are from your ISP then your DNS is leaking. (You should be able to recognise them based on the hostname and location).
    IP: 208.69.35.17
    Hostname: m7.ams.opendns.com
    ISP: OpenDNS, LLC

My server location switched back to the Netherlands after a day or two :eek:
    I wasn,t questioning DNScrypts integrity, I was interested in why the server location had changed, I am running DNScrypt as I have had DNS leaks in the past, Ironically these only began after using DNSleaktest.coms "How can I fix a DNS leak?" dnsfixsetup.exe http://www.dnsleaktest.com/how-to-fix-a-dns-leak.php.
    I have uninstalled and tried to reverse its actions but to no avail, Any help would be appreciated.
    thanx popcorn

5. jedisct1

jedisct1 Registered Member

Just like Google, OpenDNS are using anycast. You hit a specific IP address, always the same, but this IP address can be routed to different datacenters, thanks to BGP.

The OpenDNS ops guys are constantly fiddling with the BGP routes in order to minimize latency.

You may be routed to London because this is the fastest path from your ISP to an OpenDNS resolver. And the next day, the same route is not optimal any more because some transit provider upgraded its equipment/pipes and going through it, even to a different location, is faster.
    BGP routes are constantly updated. You may not notice when using unicast addresses (one IP address always goes to one specific box), but you definitely do when using anycast (one IP address is dynamically routed to different boxes).

If you are concerned about DNS leaks, I recommend you avoid the DNSCrypt user interface (this also applies to the one for OSX), and use it as a service instead: https://github.com/jedisct1/dnscrypt-proxy/blob/master/README-WINDOWS.markdown

6. Singapore for me, guess it's the closet node to my location.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.