OpenCandy Unsafe Application

Discussion in 'ESET Smart Security' started by Spruce, May 17, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Spruce

Spruce Registered Member

Hi

I noticed OpenCandy is detected again but now under unsafe applications category, that's fine but is it possible to make ESET block it without blocking the whole installer for the program?

Regards

2. ThomasC

ThomasC Former ESET Support Rep

Blocking part of an installer’s routine is something not currently possible, within the ESET Product. ESET will detect the file as potentially unwanted and then, it is up to you to decide how to proceed. As with any potentially unsafe application that you wish to use, you can simply choose to perform no action on the detection. Then I would recommend opting out of the installation of the potentially unwanted application that is included in the installer. If that is the desired action and possible of course.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2011
  3. agoretsky

agoretsky Eset Staff Account

Hello,

Some software vendors who bundle adware with their applications offer "slim" or "portable" versions which do not have the adware bundled with them. Try contacting the vendor(s) in question and ask them if they provide—or are willing to provide—you wish such a version of their software.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

4. anandee

anandee Registered Member

As for what I know, OpenCandy features /NOCANDY switch to disable its dll, and anyway it is possible to redirect communication with known domains to 127.0.0.1 so it would not be impossible to selectively disable advertising in any part of the computer (including installations) as it happens on the web with common ad-blocking plugins.
    By the way, the issue seems pretty much the same, only changing where ads are displayed: people does not want ads, but ads wants people!

5. ThomasC

ThomasC Former ESET Support Rep

I apologize for the misunderstanding. I did not mean that it is entirely impossible, nothing is impossible. What was implied in my statement was that it is not currently possible, within the ESET product.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.