OpenBSD 5.1

Discussion in 'all things UNIX' started by Gullible Jones, May 28, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Anyone tried this yet? IMO it exemplifies the continued improvement of OpenBSD in almost all areas. Especially performance... For instance, a few minutes ago GVFS spazzed out and started using over 90% of available CPU time. The only reason I noticed this was that my laptop started getting hot. Otherwise there was no visible performance impact. I'm quite impressed, seeing as runaway programs like that often bring Linux systems to their knees.

I think there is only one real barrier to OpenBSD on the desktop, at least for geeks: printing support. LPR configuration is arcane and can't really be done on the fly; it would be good to have a way for users to configure LPR for hotplugged printers. Other than that it's quite usable - more so than Linux when it comes to CLI stuff.

2. Hungry Man

Hungry Man Registered Member

Hardware support in general is kinda crap for BSD.

3. True, though OpenBSD is a bit better about it than the others, in my experience. Also keep in mind that the laptop I'm using it on is 5 years old. Generally, older hardware seems to mean better compatibility with BSDs.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.