OpenBSD 4.1 Released!

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Alphalutra1, May 1, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pedro

Pedro Registered Member

Yes. I retrieve the ftp list easy, but when i choose a mirror no show. It says something like no routeo_O
    Maybe it's the router??
    I'll stop here, this becomes a thread hijack..
    I'm trying to isolate the issue.

2. Alphalutra1

Alphalutra1 Registered Member

I do not know. If it detects the card in installation, then it might work, but don't have any experience in the matter.

However, if you do not have internet and don't want to move it into your lan, you can always download all of the necessary .tgz files used in setup, and either burn them to a second cd or add them to a usb drive. Then, when it asks you where the files are stored, put in the cd or usb, and get the files from there.

Or better yet, buy the cds and help support the OS :D

Cheers,

Alphalutra1

3. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Hello,

Cheers! Just wondering if I'll be checking it on one of the direct-connection machines or one of the lanners. I did test pc-bsd quite a lot. Like it very much, btw. Very robust. Excellent help - one of the best I have come across. Haven't dug into OpenBSD, but I'm gonna do.

I just have some 20-30 nix isos waiting to be tested - and articled. And then real work ... oh oh so much fun so little time ...

Mrk

4. Cerxes

Cerxes Registered Member

@Pedro: I think it´s best if you start off with a BSD variant that have better hardware detection, for example FreeBSD. Then when things are rolling on, you could play with the other variants. One way to go for making it really easy is trying the GUI projects based on FreeBSD, where you already have a KDE installed: PC-BSD & DesktopBSD.

/Cerxes.

5. Meriadoc

Meriadoc Registered Member

Oh, I thought you were asking about setting up a PPTP connection in OpenBSD Mrk :rolleyes: to much beer last night watching ManUtd getting stuffed, oops:p

6. Pedro

Pedro Registered Member

Thanks for the concern Cerxes. But that's not the problem. My problem lies in conectivity of VM's in XP. Not in easiness of install.
    I don't mind reading :) .
    Only if i dig a bit will i be able to say what i really want. I might want Vista... LOL

7. Pedro

Pedro Registered Member

So all i need is the tgz files, in .iso, and i'm good to go? Here goes nothing.

8. Meriadoc

Yeah I know what your saying Cerxes about varient or FreeBSD derivatives. FreeBSD project really advanced, rolled on and reliable. I've had abit to do with FreeBSD, TrustedBSD,.......but I just like to play sometimes firing up a different setup every time.

What is this and what are you using, Pedro?

9. Meriadoc

Here's a few to article.:D

Attached Files:

• 300+.JPG
      300+.JPG
      File size:
      291.8 KB
      Views:
  10. Pedro

Pedro Registered Member

VMware, VirtualBox, VirtualPC.. name your flavour.:)

Made the iso, and when asked for the sets, unmounted the 1st cd, mounted the new with the packages, but it said filesystem not found or something (issue with VirtualBox? maybe).
    Tried with MS VPC and guess what, i'm able to unmount the CD and change it, and successfully install OpenBSD.

Read the "mail", and saw the man pages:eek:
    Alphalutra1, i'll get there next year. :D

One note: i get the impression everything there is to know is in here. The problem is not having it on paper.
    Now i type startx . ( fvwm is very basic graphics, but i suppose it's funcional; reminds me a bit of early Windows). Yes, i skipped a few steps.

Last edited: May 4, 2007
  11. Alphalutra1

Alphalutra1 Registered Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.