Open VPN - Can connect but can't ping

Discussion in 'privacy technology' started by Tjee, Jun 25, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tjee

Tjee Registered Member

Hi,

i've been trying to connect to an open vpn server for 3 days now but I can't seem to ping the server after connection. Neither can I access the internet.

I've removed my external firewall and shut windows firewall completelly off.
    What else could it be?

The log shows no errors (according to the ivpn techie), and they say their Dns server is working fine, that I'm having problems connecting to the Dns server.
    However, after connection i'm perfectly able to ping the Dns server, but when I try to ping the server ip, it can't find the host.

I've tried restarting and starting it up as administrator multiple times. I've even removed all my vpns and reinstalled only this one.

I'm seriously losing my marbles over this... And the fact that i'm an absolute noob when it comes to vpn doesn't really help the matter :(

2. Spooony

Spooony Registered Member

That means your config file or your portforward is setup wrong.
    Just one question. Server as in your own server or a providers server?

3. Tjee

Tjee Registered Member

Providers server.

No portforwarding atm (I can request it though, what do you propose?)

I tried several servers, its not related to a specific config, but to all of them then.

Weirdest thing is, in the past few days I have been able to connect two times.
    Both times speed was far from great, but at least it worked.
    I didn't change anything with the configs, i just logged on and got lucky i guess.

4. Spooony

What dns servers are you using? Some isps dont allow their users to use other dns servers. And if the proxy aint socks 4A/5 its not going to do the lookup on the server.

Do you have wireshark? Download it from filehippo.com amd install it. Its easy to use. Select Interface your using then try to connect with ultra VPN. The ones marked in blue are the dns. Right click follow Tcp stream. You'll see the servers name your trying to connect to. If there's only your ip and no reply from another ip from the ones in blue then its your dns servers that set wrong.

5. Tjee

Tjee Registered Member

Nope, thought that too, but I got the same dns server a few times later and it didn't work at that time.

Anyway, I've already gotten a full refund, and I realised I don't really need a vpn (Belgium has great privacy-laws).

6. Spooony

Use tor mate. Its free and do what it suppose to do. Hide your ip. What you want to download don't use the tor proxy so use a download manager

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.