Open Solaris 2009.06 - Slowly getting there

Discussion in 'all things UNIX' started by Mrkvonic, Jan 15, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Hi all,

Let's talk UNIX.

We have a long review of Open Solaris 2009.11 running Gnome environment, a free Solaris operating system intended for desktops; topics include live session, installation, post-install usage, Wireless, Samba sharing, multimedia support, proxy support, applications, package management, dual-boot with Linux, and more.

http://www.dedoimedo.com/computers/opensolaris-2009-06.html

Cheers,
    Mrk

2. lodore

lodore Registered Member

btw opensolaris is 64bit and if you run it on a 64bit machine it will run in 64bit.
    Its definatly getting better with every release. i cant connect to a wireless network with my laptop using the lastest dev version from here but still cant get it to work on my desktop.
    my desktop has an nvidia graphics card and compiz works perfectly in the live session. since i cant even get wireless to work properly i didnt bother to install it. on my laptop there was no proper ati driver so i couldnt use desktop effects.

I dont understand why virtualbox isnt in the repos. its their own product and really good.

I didnt think in this day and age you would have to copy a file via commandline to get flash player to work. things like this make the package management system useless.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.