Open Port 5000

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by Fire22, Dec 28, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Fire22

Fire22 Guest

I just installed Sygate Personal Firewall version 5.0

I ran a couple of port scans at various websites (pcflank, dslreports) and all seemed OK.

I then ran a scan at Shields Up (grc.com) and it indicated that Port 5000 (UPnP Service) was open and vulnerable. I then checked this port at another scan which also showed the port open.

Can someone explain? Do I need to manually close this port?

Any help will be appreciated.

2. Phil

Phil Registered Member

Sygate *should* be blocking that port and you probably can config it to do so, but it's not a good idea to have that service running. You didn't mention your OS but if it is XP, go into your services and stop and set to disable the UP&P service and SSDP Discovery service. That should close that puppy down.

Phil

3. Pieter_Arntz

Pieter_Arntz Spyware Veteran

Hi Fire22,

Assuming you are using Windows XP there is another way to accomplish this: using XP Antispy 3.71.
    It offers the option to shut down the UPnP service like Phil suggested and some more. ;)

Regards,

Pieter

4. controler

controler Guest

I second or third that but will also mention Steve Gibson does have a tool designed especially for the UpnP service unpnp.exe
    Stop and take the time to browse Steve's site.

I do like Anitspy also though for various reasons.
    accomplishes registry tweaking so we don't have to manually ;)

Yes Sygate will block that port but it shouldn't be open in the first place.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.