Open Office

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by chaos16, Mar 11, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. chaos16

chaos16 Registered Member

Anyone here uses http://www.openoffice.org/

Anyone here prefers this open source office suite than Microsoft Office Suite and why??

Any feedback will be grateful :)

2. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

Ive been using OpenOffice and I find it to be quite nice. It doesnt have ALL the features of MS Office but for basic tasks it is very good.

3. malformed

malformed Former Poster

But it also provides features M$ Office doesn't have, like exporting to PDF.

To add to Ooo pluses - Open source and free, Compatible M$ document formats, multi-platform.

It's the only office suit I use, even at work I forgo M$ Office, for the portable version of Ooo.

4. chaos16

chaos16 Registered Member

If i use Open source office will i be able to save from it and move it to microsoft office?

or i can't? as i am in college so i use MS office in the college but i don't have it at home.

So in the end MS office is better but you have to pay :doubt:

Does open source office have constant updates?

5. WSFuser

Yes you will.
    Yes it does. Just to give you an idea: v2.1 was released in December and v2.2 is currently at RC3.

6. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

open source stuff does have updates. ive never used any office stuff, but maybe this plugin will help o_O i do know ms has a plugin to make it compatible with the open standard, i don't know if this is it though -
    http://sourceforge.net/projects/odf-converter edit that's for ms office, you're talking about OOo o_O :p :D/-<

7. Dr. Lucien Sanchez

Dr. Lucien Sanchez Registered Member

It doesn't save by default into the MS Office standard. But this is simply remedied by going into the tools menu of any of the OpenOffice programs and changing what format to save in under the Load/Save menu.

8. dhopley

dhopley Registered Member

Dear Forum ,
    I've been using OpenOffice for the last two versions (now 2.1) and it works absolutely fine for my essential processing , that is portfolio spreadsheets , e-mail pro formas , and wife's flower club minutes and ticketing etc. It is closely linked to Java and has a similar habit of upgrading accumulatively , so I think you should be quite thoughtful about the upgrade process to keep your system tidy . As regards interfacing with Microsoft there's less trouble than working your way through the version registration minefields of that company , and I'm writing as an Windows 98SE user recently simply trying to install a CD/R/W drive to accommodate digital image backup and off lining . Using OpenOffice feels a bit like the difference between using IE and Firefox , number two tries harder and is more solicitous to the user .

9. NGRhodes

NGRhodes Registered Member

For my light (once a week on average) there's nothing missing from Open Office.

10. Bob D

Bob D Registered Member

Been using Sun's inherently similar, but slightly more polished StarOffice since version 6.
    Small money, liberal licensing.
    They support ODF (open document format), something Redmond has been fighting tooth and nail.
    Have found nothing lacking in it when comparing to M$ Office.
    I've never looked back.
    (There IS life after M$)

11. FastGame

FastGame Registered Member

Open Office does everything I need. The professional (hard core) office user might find short comings.

12. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Hello,
    I have been using OO for the last 1.5-2 years, works like magic. Nothing missing and superior to MS Office.
    Mrk

13. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

You totally sure of that. Does that mean I can export from Quickbooks into Open Office instead of excel? etc

14. malformed

malformed Former Poster

That would be a shortcoming of Quickbooks not Ooo. ;)

15. Pedro

Pedro Registered Member

OO i can understand, but Ooo? What's that, sleepy office?

16. Doug_B

Doug_B Registered Member

I've been using openoffice on my home pc for light duty over the last 1/2 year. As a standalone replacement for home-based needs, it has worked fine. However, I have run into a couple of limitations when I take MS files home from work (where I have MS Office running), edit them with openoffice, and then take them back to work.

I have found formatting peculiarities with MS Word docs on occasion, usually associated with tracking changes, IIRC. There may have been issues with lists and/or tables as well, but I don't recall exactly. Point here is that I was forced to use an older MS Word program at home to edit these files. Also, I was recently editing a Powerpoint file via openoffice, which was originally created at work using MS Office, and although the information was still there after editing with openoffice, an embedded table within one of the slides was converted to a set of objects. Don't know if any openoffice settings could have prevented or mitigated the problems I had; I haven't delved into the openoffice options much at all.

Doug

17. Ice_Czar

Ice_Czar Registered Member

same here :thumb: (only its more like 4 years)

the only systemic criticism Im aware of in a head to head comparison is from power users of Excel vs Oo Base,
    but since I rarely employ either its hard to judge :p

as far as why,
    1. its free
    2. its free
    3. its free
    4. its not microsoft :p

http://secunia.com/product/6157/?task=statistics
    http://secunia.com/product/24/?task=statistics

18. Peter2150

Not the point. IF Open Office is truly the same as MS Office, then it should work. My question is does it.

I think the point is for the average office user Open Office probably is a fine replacement, but if you are a power Office user, and use a lot of the integration features, then I suspect Open Office might not hold up.

For example the integration between Outlook, excel, access and One Note in Office 2007 have proven to be invaluable to me in my small business.

Bottom line each have there place, but Open Office isn't a 100% replacement for MS Office.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2007
  19. Capp

Capp Registered Member

I use OpenOffice as well.

When a client hires me to build them a system, sometimes they can't afford the MS office suite, but need the same functionality. So, I install OO and they barely even notice a difference except that the MS stamp isn't all over everything.

My personal and work computers have MS office 2003 (paid) though. I keep a copy on CD with me when I travel and work on ppls computers just in case though.

To me, it's a great office suite and definitely rivals MS.

20. Alphalutra1

Alphalutra1 Registered Member

Latex + Vim for the win! :D

Both things are fine, but Open Office is a PITA to use if you are on gentoo or a BSD, same with Java SDK and JRE o_O

If you don't want to spend the money, then just use Open Office

Cheers,

Alphalutra1

21. malformed

malformed Former Poster

I believe your issue is with M$ [anti-trust] and integration that Quickbooks doesn't provide ... How 'exactly' is this an Ooo issue? ~snip~ For it is you with the needs that should demand better interpolative solutions.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 12, 2007
  22. WSFuser

OpenOffice.org ;)

23. Peter2150

Quickbooks provides fine integration with MS Office. Frankly the MS lemming comment was a bit retarded. Could you point me to OO's version of One Note. Your last sentence makes no sense. I don't need to demand anything. MS office meets my need. Granted a lot of folks don't have the need for all it's features, and for them OO is fine. But it isn't as complete as MS office, thats all.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 12, 2007
  24. acr1965

acr1965 Registered Member

I like StarOffice. And StarOffice 7 is offerred for free-

http://www.vnunet.com/vnunet/downloads/2170194/sun-staroffice

25. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

i don't think there's much difference between staroffice and OOo. it's the same code i think, maybe staroffice has support for proprietary formats which can't be put in the free version o_O what's the difference?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.