OPEN LETTER TO ACRONIS, THIS IS A PROBLEM!

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by MATT SCHWARTZ, Jan 27, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MATT SCHWARTZ

MATT SCHWARTZ Registered Member

Hi, I have finally gotten my botched cloned drive to boot using a Win-98 boot disk (FDISK /MBR) to rewrite the master boot record which erased the old diskid forcing windows to rewrite new drive letter information. This was an absolute nightmare with not a hell of a lot of information available wihout much internet digging. ACRONIS: I cannot believe you do not have specific instructions regarding the fact that windows tracks old drive/ partition assignments which can massively screw up a cloning operation, resulting in my particular disaster: My bootable drive booted as drive G:! I am pretty sure and I looked, there IS NOTHING on your website that addresses this this issue! WHATo_Oo_Oo_O You need to have some major red-lettered warning on this immediately! (i.e. immediately remove the source drive after the clone operation is done and reboot the cloned drive with it as the ONLY hard drive!)
    Whew, talk about a panic attack at 2 in the morning!

2. bodgy

bodgy Registered Member

I don't think Acronis are the people to offer you instructions on how MS Windows works, though an explanatory note under cloning or in appendix B, pointing out the old and cloned drive should not be connected at the same time, on first reboot.

As for the disk ID being changed, you haven't said whether you cloned in automatic mode or manual, and if in manual what options you took.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.