Open Firefox Bookmarks Manager in a tab

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Pedro, Jul 2, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pedro

Pedro Registered Member

I've been messing around in Iceweasel/Firefox, and tweaking All-in-One Sidebar - i'm never completely satisfied with the sidebar - and found that middle clicking an entry in the toolbar makes it open in a tab (i actually never read that tooltip..)
    Then i bookmarked chrome://browser/content/bookmarks/bookmarksPanel.xul which opens the bookmarks list in a tab without the need for AIOS.

Of course i didn't stop there, and went back in the directory chrome://browser/content/bookmarks/ and found the Bookmarks Manager chrome://browser/content/bookmarks/bookmarksManager.xul , which is much better. I can not only navigate better (it's the Bookmark Manager after all), but i can also access more functions.
    I'm still undecided which to place as Home though. I don't need the whole manager just to access a bookmark, but i do want to open the manager in a tab (like in Opera).
    I bookmarked both, and for now i made the manager as Home.
    I also bookmarked History - chrome://browser/content/history/history-panel.xul - and addons - chrome://mozapps/content/extensions/extensions.xul .

But then, instead of looking for more and waste my time even more, i googled.

I found this which explains the same things i found above, and then some. Options, Downloads, Themes..

I also found this thread on Ubuntu's forum which explains how to change the entry for 'Bookmarks' - 'Organize Bookmarks' to open the Bookmarks Manager in a new tab.
    The difference is that it's not a bookmark itself note, it changes the relevant menu entry, which seems much better.
    The 'problem' is that it involves an extension, userChrome.js. Or it seems to, i don't know if we can do it without an extension.
    Haven't tried this yet.

There is at least one more extension that can do this, Stylish. It can play GreaseMonkey's role, and it can additionally tweak Firefox (importing from here or making your own..).
    I haven't tried this yet in full, perhaps someone here has.

Now i have to figure out how to rearrange FF. It seems i can do away with the Menus, and claim some of the screen back (it's a laptop), without loosing convenience. Lets see.

Anyone knows what else i'm missing? Am i the guy who just arrived from stone age in Firefox? I feel pretty dumb for not finding this before!

Cheers

Last edited: Jul 2, 2008
  2. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

3. AKAJohnDoe

AKAJohnDoe Registered Member

I use Tiny Menu to reduce the footprint of the menu. And I use Speed Dial instead of bookmarks for most sites now.

4. Pedro

Pedro Registered Member

WSFuser, that Personal Menu might be a winner, thanks! Going to try it.
    Tiny Menu doesn't really solve the problem though, only makes a bigger tree to navigate:
    I sill don't know if i want to do away with the menus, perhaps just toggle it on/off. I have to experiment.

AKAJohnDoe, Speed Dial doesn't substitute bookmarks, not for me.
    Perhaps it does make a better 'Home' though. Last time i tried it, it was slow, not really an Opera Speed Dial replacement.
    There's another one, Fast Dial.

It's a good suggestion, and a good reminder.
    I will check the latest Speed Dial/Fast Dial to see if i want it.

5. AKAJohnDoe

AKAJohnDoe Registered Member

I have 16 Speed Dial Groups (tabs) and each Group (tab) has 4 rows and 4 columns of thumbnails (16 thumbnails) so that is in total 256 thumbnails. Pretty much replaces Bookmarks for day-to-day use for me! I do right-click on each thumbnail, select EDIT, and change REFRESH from PERIODICALLY to NEVER so that SpeedDial does not attempt to keep all the thumbnail images up to date. That would probably slow it down some if I let it refresh them all!

6. Pedro

Pedro Registered Member

I'm trying both (not at the same time), and yes, they're slow to load. :doubt: Not a long delay, but i can see it.
    Fast Dial seems snappier though, even if just a bit. Speed Dial has more features.

I'm also using Custom Buttons2, with a custom button (what else!) that opens bookmarks in a new tab, and a drop down menu with Bookmarks Manager (in a new tab).
    (there are loads of buttons btw)

And I found these extensions to hide the the menu bar:
    disablemenu and Hide Menubar. Using the first.
    There are also some userchrome.css lines we can add to do the same, but they don't work well for me.

Also keeping an eye on autoHideStatusbar.

I imagine Eee users have done all this on the first week :)

Now to find smaller back, forward and reload/stop buttons.

7. WSFuser

8. Pedro

Pedro Registered Member

Small icons is too small, heh.

Perhaps i can reduce the size manually somewhere, and reduce the grey margins just a bit?
    For example, that Classic Compact is something in the right direction, but the margins are eliminated, not reduced. I don't want extremes.
    So, i guess i'm not looking for a theme, but a tweak.

9. WSFuser

You could try this userChrome.css code to hide toolbar borders:

Code:
    menubar, toolbox, toolbar { border-style: none !important; }
    If its not what you want, I would go to the Firefox forums and get an answer there. Theyre very helpful.

10. Pedro

Pedro Registered Member

Ah, it doesn't work. But now that i think about it, i see that i didn't express myself correctly.
    The extra grey space is actually part of the buttons themselves. When i hover the mouse over them, i can see that the button is actually more than its image.

That's why i'm looking for smaller buttons. The image could be smaller, but the issue is the grey area of the button - it's too big for the effect i'm looking for.

I'll find it. Or follow your advice on the forum. :thumb:

11. WSFuser

12. Pedro

Pedro Registered Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.