Open, execute, access - what's the difference

Discussion in 'NOD32 version 2 Forum' started by Thomas Fleetwood, Mar 5, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I have been having a problem with NOD32 on one of my computers where AMON slows my system dramatically if the 'execute' checkbox is checked under what files to scan. My system is a notebook with a 2.8Ghz Pentium 4 with hyperthreading, 512MB RAM, etc... so it should be fast. The operating system is Windows XP Pro. I have a virtually identical desktop system except it doesn't have hyperthreading and has the Windows XP Home version. The desktop works fine with 'execute' checked. So here are my questions.

1. Has anyone else had this problem - extreme slowdown when checking files with AMON and 'execute' checked? (And by slowdown I mean that programs take a long time to startup)

2. What is the difference between the options in the "Files - Scan On" dialog box. The choices are 'open', 'execute', and 'create'. Wouldn't a file be checked when it executes if 'open' is checked? I guess I don't understand what 'open' means in this regard.

Thanks for any help.

2. Uran

Uran Registered Member

Feb 12, 2004

When you Open a .doc file... you Run a program with wich you can edit that file... that's the difference :) maybe you want to check both things, the .doc file and the program.

About that thing with the slow down... please verify if you have all your XP patches installed. That's one possible problem.

Best regards ;)
  3. Hello,

Thanks for the reply. Yes I do have all my xp patches installed. And, again, it is only when I check 'executables' and it doesn't happen on my extememly similar destop system - wierd o_O

So let me see if I understand you. 'Open' only refers to non-executable files opened by a program. An executable file isn't considered 'opened' when it is run?

To make the situation even odder - sometimes when I check the 'execute' box the system will run fine - loading programs at normal speed. Then, suddenly slow down and load programs very slowly. It certainly perplexes me :-(

Thanks again for any help.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.