Open a port in Cyber Security Pro Beta 5.0

Discussion in 'Other ESET Home Products Beta' started by Beta Hornet, May 22, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Beta Hornet

Beta Hornet Registered Member

With the beta Cyber Security Pro there is now a firewall feature. The default ESET firewall setting is: "Automatic With Exceptions"; the exceptions are pre-defined. There is a way to add other exceptions yourself only there are no clear instructions on how to do this. In my case, I still use the Apple TV 1st Generation as it has a built-in 160 gigabyte hard drive and is like an iPod, syncing to iTunes using your own TV as the display/monitor. Well, once I installed this beta Cyber Security Pro 5.0, the Apple TV stopped syncing. The error message from Apple was that the anti-virus software was blocking port 3689.

I could not open port 3689 at all :(

But - I discovered a great work-a-round that I wanted to share with everyone:

I changed the setting of ESET's new firewall from "Automatic With Exceptions" to "Interactive." Then I opened up iTunes. The Apple TV 1st Generation tried to sync. This time, instead of getting the error message about port 3689 I got an ESET pop-up telling me that the network is asking permission to use the port. I clicked on "create a new rule" and "Allow." A new rule was automatically created by ESET in the proper syntax. The Apple TV 1st Generation now worked! Then I did this:

I changed the ESET firewall setting back from "Interactive" to the default "Automatic With Exceptions." The newly created "rule" remained in the list! I then rebooted the computer, and now that ESET was back to the default firewall setting of "Automatic With Exceptions" and one of the "exceptions" was the newly created rule, I opened up iTunes and everything worked great :)

Summary: An easy way to create a new "exception" for the new firewall in ESET Cyber Security Pro ver. 5.0 is to let ESET itself create the new rule (because the ESET software knows EXACTLY what is trying to be accessed and what the rule of exception syntax should be) by changing the firewall setting from "Automatic With Exceptions" to "Interactive." Once the rule is created, go back to the default "Automatic With Exceptions." The newly created rule remains, and the ESET software continues to work properly as designed.

I hope this little tip helps!

Last edited: May 22, 2012
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.