ONSPEED - problems?????

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by DaveU, Jun 5, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DaveU

DaveU Registered Member

Hi. I'm a member of several forums. The host of one has emailed me as follows. Does any other member use Onspeed (free to UK users of BT-Yahoo)? Is your forum aware of this problem? (I can't find previous threads.)
    More important, is this forum having these problems because of my using Onspeed?
    Please be gentle when you respond! My technical knowledge extends to switching the power on & off! (Slightly immodest but true when compared to you guys!!! :D :ouch:
    ===========================

DaveU: I'm not sure if you are aware, but you surf the net through an onspeed.com proxy server. I've been doing some site checks today, and spotted something rather odd. Onspeed.com and your IP has been chewing up my bandwidth like it's going out of fashion. For example in the last 2 days the onspeed proxy and your IP addresses has done the following:
    Hits on site = 2810 (This includes when you do a page refresh)
    Pages viewed = 695
    Bandwidth = 23.46 MB of data downloaded.
    To show you what I mean, and give you something to compare these figures to. The rest of the members here added together (inc visitors/none members and me) have only used 18.56 MB of bandwidth in total, over the same period.
    Now thats not a problem for me as such, but it may be for you. This could be a sign of something wrong with your PC settings, such as it not using any local cached data, or even a virus issue. It's only been showing up over the last month, so it may be something you can track down to a change or problem you had. Just thought you should be made aware of this, as it could be a problem.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    Next email:
    After looking in to this more, it seems you must have Onspeed installed on your system. I'm about to contact onspeed.com, as this system may improve dialup/dsl speeds, but it is at the cost of site owners bandwidth.
    Like I said, it's not a problem at the moment, but it could be if we got quite a few members/viewers using their services.

PS Some sites have to pay for their bandwidth as they use it, thankfully I don't. Those sites that have to pay, could be having to pay out ££££ because of Onspeeds system

2. DaveU

DaveU Registered Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.