onMouseOver

Discussion in 'other security issues & news' started by vasa1, Sep 30, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

Some exploits employ onMouseOver to redirect to a new page/site.

Can someone post a link to a site that legitimately (= not for malicious purposes) uses such a tactic? Or is it that all uses of this tactic are not legitimate and will be found only on compromised sites?

If I have set the firewall to query all outgoing requests from my browser, won't I get a prompt asking me if I wish to proceed?

This is a newbie question so please oblige :)

2. Rmus

Rmus Exploit Analyst

Do an internet search for that term - you will find hundreds of sites and tutorials.

It is a legitimate javascript function which, like so many others, has been misappropriated for cybercriminals' malicious use.

I don't know the answer to your firewall question.

----
    rich

Last edited: Sep 30, 2010
  3. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

vasa1, Rmus is correct, onMouseOver is a legitimate JavaScript effect and here is a site that you will be able to safely see the process:

W3Schools onmouseover Event - Examples #1 & #2.

However, JavaScript is not the only source. CSS (Cascading Style Sheets) can be used to provide a similar effect:

W3Schools CSS Image Opacity / Transparency - Example #2.

Because your browser, while visiting a site, is the one that calls for either JavaScript and/or CSS (if needed to display an effect on a page), blocking them would be a browser function, not a firewall function.

4. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

Thank you, Rmus and JRViejo:

I understand that onMouseOver is a normally useful tool for drop-down menus, as just one of many examples, whether triggered by javascript or CSS and I didn't mean to question its utility.

My question is specific to the issue (if I understood it correctly) that mousing over without even clicking a certain region (or even a link) of a web-page could trigger a redirect to another site as seems to have been the case in the recent Twitter example.

While Firefox can be set up to warn on redirect and then notifies the user that a redirect is requested on a per request basis, from the little I saw of Opera, it's an on or off setting and far less convenient. I can't even find the equivalent in Chrome.

Here's where the firewall comes in. I can set the way the firewall handles internet requests from an application including any browser: always block, always allow, or always ask.

In other words, a browser can be set by the firewall to a rules-based mode. So unless I set a specific site as always allow, the firewall will hold up things until I allow or deny the request. In other words, I shouldn't be unknowingly directed to another site.

I wanted to know if such a procedure would minimise the chances of unwanted redirection if I use a browser like Chrome with "the always ask" (unless I mark a site as trusted) setting in the firewall.

5. Tarnak

Tarnak Registered Member

Using Opera browser, I 'mouseover' all the time....have not been bitten yet! ;)

Attached Files:

6. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

vasa1, are you running Online Armor's Web Shield or something similar? Then, yes!

7. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

JRViejo,

Thanks! I'm using PC Tools Firewall 6.0.0.88.

8. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

vasa1, keep in mind that once you "trust" a site that contains the malicious JavaScript code, all bets are off.

You're welcome! Take care.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.