Only partial back up

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by blghost, Dec 29, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. blghost

blghost Registered Member

Hello,I have just bought and downloaded Home Image 2009.I am a Mac person so I know very little about PC'S.I bought my wife an external hard drive for Christmas and I want to back up her disk c: So i choose My computer(disk image) from the back up screen.I follow the screens and choose full backup since its the first time.Her drive c: has 53.47 gig on it.But when i do the back up it only backs up 29 gig.Any thoughts? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. seekforever

seekforever Registered Member

If the 29GB is the size of the backup file and you have compression turned on (it is default, IIRC) then it probably is correct.

Strongly suggest you make the TI recovery CD and boot the PC from it. Then do a Validate of the archive with the CD version. The reason for this is that the rescue CD environment is Linux and it may not have good drivers for the PC hardware. You don't want to find this out when you really need to restore the backup. The validate doesn't not compare the contents with the original source but rather reads the file and recreates the numerous checksums contained within and compares them with the stored values.

The absolute best test is to restore the backup to a spare HD - spare one in case it doesn't work.

3. blghost

I understand the compression part.Can that be turned off,her internal hard drive is a 250gig and the external backup is 500gig.Do i really need compression.The rest is difficult at best to understand.I tried creating a cd but i don't know what i did.Am I trying to create a bootable emergency start up cd?

4. MrMorse

MrMorse Registered Member

Did you read the TrueImage manual?
    It's even understandable for MAC users.

Chapter:
    5.3.6 Selecting the backup options
    and
    Chapter 10. Creating bootable media

5. blghost

Thank you for the chapter info.This 'ol Mac user will figure it out :)

6. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello bulloney,

Acronis True Image is the only disk imaging product that excludes large unnecessary files, resulting in a noticeably smaller image size and significantly quicker disk imaging process. The following files are excluded from image archives:

- Paging files
    - Hibernation files

The program also doesn’t include free space into backup archive. That’s why your backup archive is smaller than actual size of the data you backup.

Best regards,
    --
    Dmitry Nikolaev

7. photoguy45

photoguy45 Registered Member

Re: Only partial back up to vista 64

Hi here is a tricky one i have true image home 11 build 8101
    what i am trying to do is back up every thing but the os,currently running vista 32.Iwant to install vista 64 then transfer all files to the new drive with vista 64
    i hope this is the correct area to post this question
    thank you in advance

8. MrMorse

MrMorse Registered Member

Re: Only partial back up to vista 64

If these 'files' (you mention above) are only pictures, textfiles, etc it works.

But if there is only one application which makes registry entries by setup then it doesn't work.

After installing a new OS you have to install all desired applications again.

9. seekforever

seekforever Registered Member

You don't even need TI to do this for data files since you can just copy the files to an external HD using Windows explorer or whatever. If the machines are networked you can do it via the network.

If most of the files are photos, mpgs, zip or other compressed formats there won't even be a benefit using TI's compression.

10. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello all,

Thank you for using Acronis True Image

photoguy45,

If you would like to backup/restore the files, please see this article on how to avoid the possible "Access Denied" error message.

Thank you.

--
    Oleg Lee

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.