Only 66MB available for partition out of 150GB free space?

Discussion in 'General Returnil discussions' started by fuquen, May 30, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fuquen

fuquen Registered Member

HDD: Total capacity 500GB partitioned to C & D equally.
    O S: Windows Vista Home Prem. installed on C.
    Actual space on C: About 223GB.
    Space occupied : About 73GB.
    Free space on C: About 150GB.
    So shows the properties of the partition.

Tried to make another partition out of the free space of C.
    After calculation, report showed only 66MB available.

Astounded.
    Why only 66MB out of 150GB?

One of the procedures of RSS installation is to format...

Is the 66MB problem because of the installation of RSS?
    IF it is, how to resolve it, please?

2. J_L

J_L Registered Member

Try defragging first, then make another partition.

3. Hungry Man

Hungry Man Registered Member

4. Coldmoon

Coldmoon Returnil Moderator

Hi fuquen,
    Remember, the default configuration for the virtualization cache is a maximum of 50% of available free space. This space may not be used, but it MUST be reserved which will cause Windows in turn to say that that space is not available.

EX:

1. you have 150 GB as free space on the applicable disk
    2. The cache is equal by default setting (is adjustable) to 50% of that available free space so in theory you would have 150/2 = 75 GB

The variance between the theoretical 75 GB and your real world figure of 66 GB can be attributed to the Windows Hibernation file (if used) and the Windows PageFile. You might be able to free up additional space here by:

1. Reducing the size of the cache maximum (Virtual Mode > Settings > Advanced section > "Percentage of free disk space used for Virtual Mode"

2. (advanced Windows configuration): Move the Windows PageFile to an alternate disk or partition. One thing to remember here is that if you do this, you will need to ensure the disk hosting your pagefile boots with Windows.

@ J_L and Hungry Man,
    Whether the disk is fragmented or not is not the issue here as the virtualization technology in RSS/RVS does not require contiguous space in order to create and/or maintain the cache itself. That means that the only real impact from a fragmented system partition would be overall performance due to head travel across the disk (Assuming platter type HDD).

Mike

5. fuquen

fuquen Registered Member

Thank you, Sir.

Have tried.
    Didn't make any difference.

Appreciate!

6. fuquen

fuquen Registered Member

Mr. Coldmoon

Thank you very much!

Please allow me to amend my post.
    1. The configuration for the virtualization cache was manually adjusted to 20% of the available free space.
    2. The estimation report stated that only 66MB (not 66GB) could be compressed or squeesed out of the 150GB free space.

I shall follow up with the other issues a lit later.

Thank you very, very much, Mr. Coldmoon!

To follow up the dialogue:

There is more to what I have already said above.
    >Removed RSS from the OS on disk C.
    >Deleted all the RSS files & folders that I could find.
    (Murmuring to myself when I was doing this:
    "Deletion of the files & folders will not wipe out the formation on the disk if it has been formatted
    by the installation of RSS. But just for the kick of having a try.)
    Result?
    The report of the estimation stated the same thing, i.e., only 66MB available.

Last edited: Jun 1, 2011
  7. Robin A.

Robin A. Registered Member

The partition must be resized with Returnil closed. So, I think that the size of the Returnil cache is irrelevant when the space is calculated, although it must be taken into account when deciding the final size of the partition.

If the calculation is done with the Windows 7 disk manager, whether or not the partition is fragmented is indeed important, because AFAIK this program does not move files. So, the partition can only be reduced using the free space located at the end of the partition, and this can be affected by the fragmentation of the partition.

If the Windows defrag program cannot move a file that is located near the end of the partition, this will limit the amount of the possible reduction.

These problems may be solved doing the resizing from a boot disk or USB key and using Paragon or other partition manager.

8. fuquen

fuquen Registered Member

Mr. J_L and Mr. Hungry Man

Thank you for trying to help!

What you have suggested was my first try to resolve the problem. It did not make any diference
    at all.

Thank you anyway.

9. fuquen

fuquen Registered Member

Mr. Robin A.

Thank you for the explanations.

Yes. The calculation is done with the Windows' disk manager.

Have tried three times of defragmentation for partition C
    where Vista is installed and three times for partition D
    where Win7 is installed. No luck at all.
    All the defragmentations did not make any difference.

If there is a file at end of the partition, and the Windows'
    disk manager can not move the file, and so the reduction
    of the partition size is blocked by this file, and if this happens to one partition, I am willing to accept it as a bad luck.
    But the same thing happens at the same to two partitions, one with Vista installed and the other with Win7 installed.
    Is there always a file or folder at the end of any one partition that always blocks the reduction of the partition?
    Or, simply the Windows' disk manager is inadequate for the job?

Please do not take me wrong, Mr. Rogin A. Absolutely I am not arguing with you. Simply want to learn.

Thank you!

10. Robin A.

Robin A. Registered Member

Of course not. Not always.

Maybe. I would try the operation using a boot disk and another partition manager.

11. fuquen

fuquen Registered Member

Mr. Robin A.

Thank you very much!

Thank you for the advice. EASEUA Partion Master 8.01 is downloaded already. Just to get acquainted with it. For the time being, I shall not resize any one of the partition on my machine but to find out the cause of the problem.

Really appreciate!

12. Coldmoon

Coldmoon Returnil Moderator

Hi,
    Just a note to let you know we are following the discussion closely so the Engineering team will see your report after your tests.

Mike

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.