Online Virus scanner

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Lancelot_PT, Sep 18, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lancelot_PT

Lancelot_PT Registered Member

Hi to all!!!

Let me introduce myself: My name's Fabio, I'm portuguese, freshly returned to my motherland ;)
    I'm setting up a new pc and since I won't use p2p progs and that sort of stuff I will trust it's security to a simple firewall.
    Anyhow, I know I'll need in the future to scan some suspicious files.
    Can I trust that task to an online scanner? Wich one is better for my basic needs? Wich one is better, if any?

Fabio

2. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

you might try this one. it is usually pretty comprehensive. Here

3. ASpace

ASpace Guest

Hmmm ... I wouldn't rely on a firewall only . It is the really basic minumum to keep protected . 3+1 means protected ->a firewall , Windows and applications updated , antivirus and antispyware softwares www.microsoft.com/protect

Anyway , when talking about online scanners I would recommend you Panda's ActiveScan free to scan the whole system for all kind of malware or VirusTotal to submit a suspected file and have it scanned by lots of vendors
    :thumb:

4. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

In addition to what has been posted, I would recommend a free AV such as Avira, Avast, or AVG. My choice would be Avira, but the one that ran the best of the three would be far better than none.

Best,
    Jerry

5. Lancelot_PT

Bang!!!! ... To myself...

Well, as soon as I started this thread my pc got infected :mad:
    Symptoms: taskmanager woudn't popup on request... I did a search as picked Avira as a resident virus scanner. Seems quite light, NOT DISCREET :D and effective...
    But goshhh... Those damn beeps from the bios speaker while I was starting to sleep... I'd like to know the guy who implemented that feature :cautious: Well who told me to put the pc in my bedroom?:p Anyhow... my wife kept sleeping like an angel :shifty:

6. ggf31416

ggf31416 Registered Member

Re: Bang!!!! ... To myself...

You can deactivate the acoustic alert

Attached Files:

7. Lancelot_PT

Thanks for the hint!!!! Is that screenshot from the free version? Damn... Didn't digged enough on the software...
    I almost got the keyboard printed on my face last night...

8. pykko

pykko Registered Member

yes, Lancelot!
    You should thick the Expert Mode to see it. Check the left-corner of the screenshot. ;)

9. farmerlee

farmerlee Registered Member

For a simple firewall you could just use something like zonealarm or comodo. I'd also suggest an antivirus like avg or antivir and windows defender for an antimalware. Its all free pretty simple to use and will give you a good level of security.

10. ggf31416

ggf31416 Registered Member

See http://www.nod32sse.com/scanners.php for links to Online Scanners. To scan the entire computer I would recommend the Kaspersky Online Scanner.

Also it's a good idea to enable the Win32 file heuristic in AntiVir. Remember that the Scan (on-demand) and the Guard (resident) are configured independently. Currently I set the level to High, as the number of false positives is lower than in the past, but you should treat Heuristic (HEUR/ ) detections as suspicious files, keep a backup copy in Quarantine (The same applies for signature detections as signature false positives are possible)

Last edited: Sep 21, 2006
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.