online tests and pcinternet patrol?

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by TC, Oct 30, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hollywoodpc

hollywoodpc Registered Member

Also remember , it will not pass stealth tests . It is not trying to . Their belief is that since you must have open ports to access the internet , they believe in protecting you if an attempt is made . And they are damn good at that ! They do not care about stealthing . They only care about protecting . If a ping is sent , it will tell you there is a possible intruder attack and give you the address . All you need to do is click on it and it will trace it . Wonderful program , although , a bit pricey .

2. Wills

Wills Registered Member

Have still been testing it out and it came on with a Message that Microsoft had been injected with a malicious.....and then flashed on the components..some were Windows\system 32\lsass.exe
    Windows\system 32\svchost.exe

and recommended to disallow or whatever the word was and the window was in Red Print and there was an option to allow, but I tried clicking on it and it simply would not work.

i assume that when the program detects something like this you simply have to agree with disallowing it, is that correct.

Also I do not want to run a firewall like outpost or kerio, as the earlier post suggested; I simply would like to consider using this one.

Again I would appreciate comments.
    The program is certainly stopping intruders again at 3 ports.

Does anyone know if it is possible to get the cd for this program or just the download that I got from Major Geeks?

Thankyou

i should say I was leary of disallowing the M$ entries that it listed in case it messed up the notebook, again any comments. These are the entries that I listed above.

3. hollywoodpc

Willis .
    I certainly believe you CAN allow things but , I have used it for over a year . If it detects something malicious and the default is set to not allow , go with it . The default will be allow if it is deemed a fairly safe app . It has NEVER been wrong in the case of malicious applications . I feel if you go with the default on each thing it detects , you will be fine . If you allow something , it will then ask to submit . Click " ok " and the next time you come across it , their database will know exactly what to do . But , to answer your usage question . This IS all you need for firewall protection . The easiest of them all and better than most . Just remember the " extras " it has . Zero day threat detection is huge ! Hope that helps

4. BlueZannetti

BlueZannetti Registered Member

Wills,

Do you have a router on your system between you cable/dsl modem and your PC? Although if you have only 1 PC, it might seem to be supefluous, it really isn't. A software firewall monitors inbound and outbound traffic and it can get busy if there's a lot of unsolicited inbound traffic, dragging down system performance. This task is basically offloaded to a NAT router - a separate piece of hardware - which can free up system CPU cycles. The advantages of this style of load balancing are obtained with any type of software firewall solution that you could employ.

It sounds like pcInternetPatrol deals with unsolicited inbound traffic in a manner similar to typical firewalls. In any event, if you put a decent router in the mix, that sets things up fairly well. There's lots of choice out there, most of it fairly cheap - $40-60 is pretty much all it takes for wired routers, wireless will go a bit more. Since you mention intruders trying to access ports, I assume you don't have a router.

Without knowing how your system is configured (e.g. other security related applications), it's difficult to give blanket advice. You can develop a sense of things by looking at how other folks are configured, see here for some examples. These examples run from lean to heavily fortified. All will work well in certain circumstances. It doesn't require a major outlay of funds, nor is congesting you PC with a maze of interlayered measures required. Like any endeavor, moderation and considered design are the keys. In assessing what's needed, you want layering, not raw duplication.

Blue

5. hollywoodpc

Blue .
    I know that was directed toward Willis but , here is something . I use Alpha shield , WITH a router and still have things try to get through on occasion . Simply because , if you initiate the " call " , you are basically allowing anything from that site . If the site has malicious intentions , those two things , as good as they are , will allow thse intentions through . Because YOU initiated it . So there is a need for more protection . Ok , I know you know that . Anyway , to simplify things , wills wants an easy , yet STRONG firewall . pcIP is the deal . Strong firewall with zero day attack prevention . Prevx Pro costs 20 bucks . You are getting alot of Prevx Pro's abilities IN this firewall . Plus the " normal " firewall abilities . Oh . And Willis . pcIP will be changing to something completely new . Same features but ALOT more features added . It will take firewalling to a whole new level . If you buy it , you will get the new one FREE . All I can say is it is due out in the Spring . OMG , I hope I did not just confuse you more . take care Blue . And Willis , good luck in your quest .

6. hollywoodpc

Oops . so you know . I do not work with or conspire with pcIP in any way . I just have my sources . I like to keep up with security applications .

7. BlueZannetti

hollywoodpc,

Absolutely. While a NAT router will reject unsolicited packets, the one's you've asked for are welcomed with open arms - malicious or not. Some additional measures are required, such as those applications mentioned in your sig or here, to provide additional checks and balances.

Cheers,

Blue

8. BlueZannetti

Nothing wrong with a little passion and advocacy for something you find useful!

Blue

9. hollywoodpc

I knew I liked you for some reason . Oh . Since this is a firewall thread , I better say something firewallish ( there is another word Blue ) pcIP . How is that ? Take care and Willis , hope all works out

10. Wills

Wills Registered Member

i can't use a router I am out in the boon docks and on dial up and am getting bombarded with attackers as I have indicated.
    However the program is warding them off. The other poster said I had a choice to submit the Warnining message, I can't as this is a 7 Day Trial and since it is my First time using this type of Application that is why I panicked when it would not give me a choice and the Warning was in Red and the Default was Disallow and I could do nothing about the Microsoft

\Windows\system 32\lsass.exe

\Windows\system 32\svchost.exe

Being a Newbie and not having a choice I thought I might mess up my notebook.
    I don't know if this program is super sensitive as a trial but is picking up a lot of attackers that is for certain.

I hope there are still experienced members/moderators out there.
    I believe the program is good, but I am in practice mode right now.

Respectful Regards,

11. hollywoodpc

Not to seem arrogant but , I am experienced . Very much so . You are fine with the disallow . If it is SURE , that is when it will disallow . In other words , their " community " has found this to be a real threat and therefore will not allow it on your system . That is one reason the price is high . They have experienced people looking at these things constantly . Looking to see what is real and what is not . If it is unsure , you get the choice and you can submit it to them . And there are always people trying to sneak a trojan in on you . Costantly . Especially in the boonies on dial up . You have a good program there . Set and forget . You are very safe with that program . Good luck in your quest

12. Wills

Wills Registered Member

Thx for this last reply. I appreciate very much the assurance. I will for sure be using the program obviously when I am on line, and check out where the attackers are from.

It is experienced comments such as yours that help in bolstering some confidence.

Thankyou

13. hollywoodpc

Kind words indeed Willis . Thank you . Good luck

14. Wills

Wills Registered Member

Can one get the basic CD with the purchase of the download Application? Or is it simply the Download programo_O?

Look forward to comments.

Respectfully,

15. hollywoodpc

Wills .

I believe it is only electronic . Check the site

16. Wills

Wills Registered Member

Thx, the site does not say much.

Nor do the reviews, that is why I ask the question and there appears no contacts.

Respectful Regards.

17. hollywoodpc

If you have pcIP on your computer , right click the icon in the system tray . Ask administrator on call . Click that and send them a message . And tell them I sent you . If you have any problems , I think I have the cell # of the head guy here . It was developed by a Russian . Imagine that ! Good luck in your quest

18. Wills

Wills Registered Member

Hi again, I tried to send a message to the administrator per the instructions of "hollywoodpc" and after trying to send it I got a message "You have an error in your SQL syntax".

Being a newbie I don't understand this, it is the first time that it has occurred.

i would appreciate some suggestions as i would like to send my queries on as was suggested.

Thankyou,
    Respectful regards.

19. hollywoodpc

For all billing issues: billing@pcinternetpatrol.com
    For media inquires: press@pcinternetpatrol.com
    For technical issues: support@pcinternetpatrol.com
    For partnership questions: partner@pcinternetpatrol.com
    For questions about dealership: dealer@pcinternetpatrol.com
    For sales related issues: sales@pcinternetpatrol.com
    For suggestions and comments: comment@pcinternetpatrol.com
    Hope that helps and Good luck in your quest

20. Wills

Wills Registered Member

thankyou for the sites, i have sent my questions to the support site.

i hope to get a response :)

Respectfully,

21. worldcitizen

worldcitizen Registered Member

Very happy with pcInternet Patrol so far. I've never liked firewalls which in the end leave the decision up to the user because how am I supposed to know what is malicious and what is not especially if the program is disguised and injected into a valid program? Zone Alarm won't tell me that - it will just ask me to allow/disallow if a program changes and that is a major flaw in it - relying on the user.

Hollywoodpc said they are going to change the program a lot. I am very happy with it so I hope they don't stuff it up in order to appease traditional firewall users (like BlackIce did) because this is a real time firewall not a firewall which is going to let anything through if it is malicious.

I agree with the stealth bit. Everyone goes crazy about stealthing but in the end give full access to any program they THINK is ok. So they basically open their stealth ports for the intruder if they can't verify the actual program against some sort of original list which PIP does online in realtime.

The guy who programmed PIP knew exactly what he was doing and it's only $10 more than ZA Pro and does 10 times the job. ZA just throws the decision back to the user. With the highly sophisticated malware around these days we need far more intelligent firewalls than Zone Alarm.

Dave

22. hollywoodpc

WorldGuy . lol . Where ya been ? Yes , they will change it but , for the better . My understanding is , it will still do the job it does now . Features will be enhanced , meaning , you can actually set it up in different ways . That is not the final word though . Only a possibility . To give advanced users more control but , still leave it in the hands of the pros if you wish . Nice if that happens . That was one of the things I told them would be nice to have . pcIP is , by far , the easiest AND one of the most powerful firewalls available . One other note . pcIP WILL detect MANY trojans and alert you BEFORE your AV does .

23. Wills

Wills Registered Member

Does this mean that legit apps that could be injected with malicious code could get onto the computer without the intervention of PC Internet Patrol simply based on the Name of the Appo_O

Just a question after reading the last post>

Thankyou

24. hollywoodpc

Hi Spanner .
    As I have noted before , the audit test is a fake in a sense . Even with pcIP installed , you will fail as far as ports go . The telnet issue has more to it than telnet . This is looked at as telnet with whatever else was in it at the time it was checked by them . Apparently their telnet version was the same as what you found . In other words , nothing in it other than the legitimate app . Does that help a little ? Hope so . Good luck

25. hollywoodpc

And Wills .
    To answer your question , No . That is the primary goal . It does prevent code infection . That is the type of firewall it is . That is how it was explained to me and it has caught it on mine before it could happen . Very nice

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.