Online Scanner Question

Discussion in 'Other ESET Home Products' started by bjm_, May 22, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bjm_

bjm_ Registered Member

Good day Wilders Forum,
    Would like to know if the Online Scanner option "Remove Found Threats" might pose a stability issue for my System or pose a problem with my installed applications. The concept that ESET found Threats are just cleaned or removed without initially being Quarantined for further investigation and my decision concerns me. The ESET scanner must be very, very sure of itself to offer the "Remove Found Threats" option. Or, it has a very, very conservative scanner engine. Once malware has found a home on my System. Cleaning/Removing the Threat can render a program/process/service/app or my System non-functional. Vendors have to write dedicated programs to clean specific infections. Along with procedures like Turn Off Windows Restore Points before Scanning to clean out malware from Restore Points or Disable Resident Security apps before Scanning like ESET suggest etc. before attempting to clean the infection.
    Just wondering how ESET Online Scanner is able to safely do what no other Scanner dares to do. "Remove Found Threats" and not damage my System.
    Respectfully submitted
    bjm_

2. BFG

BFG Registered Member

Hello,

I found this in the FAQ's of the On-line scanner. http://www.eset.com/onlinescan/scanner_help.php?page=faq

Why are infected files in quarantine after the scan?

All infiltrations and infected files are moved into the quarantine by default. Files in quarantine no longer represent a threat for your computer, because they are reliably isolated from all parts of the operating system. The user can choose either to restore selected files or delete the quarantine.

Warning!
    Please, restore files from quarantine only if you are sure that it is not malware or an infected file.

Were threats found during the scan not quarantined?

Please let us know.

BFG

3. bjm_

bjm_ Registered Member

BFG

Were threats found during the scan not quarantined?
    No threats found during the scan. Just don't understand the option "Remove Found Threats". Was not aware Threats were Quarantined by default as the options appeared to be "Remove or Not Remove Found Threats". Does the option "Remove Found Threats" skip Quarantine step. Having option to bypass Quarantine and just Auto Delete all perceived Threats just seems unwise and cannot comprehend why such an option exists.
    bjm_
    Does ESET Online Scanner have an Undo database backup for Remove Found Threats. Since, ESET Online Scanner "Remove Found Threats" option automatically removes the file and any associated malicious components. An Undo database would allow me to review any deleted detections if wanted.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2009
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.