Online Cash Bitcoin Could Challenge Governments, Banks

Discussion in 'privacy general' started by nightrace, Apr 16, 2011.

1. lotuseclat79

lotuseclat79 Registered Member

2. lotuseclat79

Bitcoin: The Cyberpunk Cryptocurrency. (Slide show - 82 slides)

Note: There are lots of other (informational) slide show links about Bitcoin on the webpage.

-- Tom

Last edited: Apr 1, 2013
  3. lotuseclat79

Bitcoin Hits $1 Billion.

Don'tcha wish ya had some and followed the rule - buy low, sell high?

Bitcoin value triples in a month to all-time high of more than $100.

-- Tom

Last edited: Apr 1, 2013
  4. mirimir

mirimir Registered Member

Of course I do :) But I'm not much into gambling.

I use Bitcoins when appropriate.

I use physical gold as a safe value store.

I did buy about 100 BTC late last year, however :) But service providers have gained much of the profit :(

5. PaulyDefran

PaulyDefran Registered Member

FinCen ruled that BTC "users" can't be regulated (not that they could be anyway)...just exchanges.

I wish I bought more, but I have a good little bit that is worth a heck of a lot more than I paid for it! :D Who knows...even "1" could be worth a small fortune once they are all minted...it ain't going away it seems :D

PD

6. mirimir

Currently, Bitcoin Charts tells me that total Bitcoins are worth 10^9 USD.

I wonder whether that includes ones hidden by early adopters.

7. merisi

merisi Registered Member

I saw this on the Guardian website and found it on you tube. It's an interview with two of the developers.

-http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RQPBVOwLKcM

8. happyyarou666

happyyarou666 Registered Member

holy shizz , and thinking ive spent 16 bitcoins on 2 vpns for one year subscription the last year makes my gut cringe, i could puke -.- , still got a couple left thou ...a couple ...argh!!!! , damn if i could go back in time id recollect all those bitcoins wasted and spend it on a yacht or my own private little island or both , lols

Last edited: Mar 30, 2013
  9. emmjay

emmjay Registered Member

I saw an interview with one of the developers on a business TV show just 2 days ago. This guy was a political activist with attitude, going on about how the west and all its pillars of evil had to be destroyed. He was asked about the benefits, availability, uses and application of Bitcoin and he just could not answer a single question without adding his political rant.

It seems that Bitcoin has its advantages and may be an idea that can be expanded upon and adopted, however there does have to be some limitations and safeguards put in place. Organized crime will no doubt be fully aware of its potential. Our developer friend did not understand questions about liquidity and other such mundane questions. A spokesperson with a clear vision of what Bitcoin is and its range of application would have garnered more acceptance but this guy ended up making Bitcoin look like a radical fringe group.

Bitcoin is a business/financial idea that may end up being more secure and less prone to manipulation than what we have today. It will never be widely accepted if the front line enthusiasts see it only as a political weapon.

10. merisi

merisi Registered Member

Well the developer in the interview missed out on half a million lol. It never occured to me the money making potential of Bitcoin and I'll be interested to see how it progresses as a currency because it has the opportunity to be revolutionary.

11. mirimir

I wasn't even a developer, and well over 2000 BTC (now worth almost 200K USD) have passed through my wallets ;)

12. lotuseclat79

13. lotuseclat79

14. Baserk

Baserk Registered Member

The recent financial turmoil in Cyprus over the last weeks coincides with a sharp rise in Bitcoin price. link.
    Exactly after the announcement local savings-account holders would also have to pay a hefty tax as part of a 'save the banks' package (among who a considerable amount of Russian account holders), value has doubled.
    Not sure of correlation oc, perhaps just coincidence.
    200KUSD...nice mirimir.

15. merisi

merisi Registered Member

I guess you answer the question to why anonymity pays off in the end!

16. mirimir

I said "passed through"!

Most of that I sold long ago at 0.05-0.1 USD per BTC ;)

That was before BitLaundry etc appeared, and I decided that they weren't anonymous enough for me :(

17. lotuseclat79

18. happyyarou666

lols , that has to suck :p , i feel your pain my friend :'( , crazy thing is this stuff is not getting any lower im constantly lurking on the bitcoin charts and theyre just becoming worth more by the minute , damn , not sure if to use the rest ive got or keep them and try to go and mine some myself

19. lotuseclat79

20. merisi

merisi Registered Member

Must admit I've not explored Bitcoin properly and I feel I've pretty much missed the boat with them. If I felt reassured about their longevity I'd be much more inclined to use them. Still I can't help feel excited about what they could do.

21. mirimir

Forget mining :)

Miners are moving to custom hardware, and even botnet miners will become uncompetitive ;) There's a link about that in this thread.

I'm just going to keep using them as "money". I'll pay attention to market dynamics, but I'm not into gambling ;)

22. happyyarou666

well , ive already gotten the mining client and even signed up for the most popular mining pool as well , and set up a standalone mining account as well ,

to see if i get more coins alone vs a pool , its worth a try and a good experience id say , hell even if i get 20 bitcoins out of it id be happy , but if i get none ...well then atleast ive tried xD

btw that link youve talked about , could you be so kind and linke me to it , cause theres so many links in here you really dont know wich one is wich honestly ,lols

23. PaulyDefran

PaulyDefran Registered Member

I mined...not any more. Make sure you put a "Kill-A-Watt" on your mining machine to make sure you are actually *making* money, instead of spending it with your power company :D

PD

24. mirimir

It's http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-21964881

25. lotuseclat79

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.