Online Cash Bitcoin Could Challenge Governments, Banks

Discussion in 'privacy general' started by nightrace, Apr 16, 2011.

1. mirimir

mirimir Registered Member

There's a disconnect in your reasoning.

There are many hosted and virtual servers in Germany. And some (perhaps most) of them are managed and used by people from other countries.

2. Haggishunter

Haggishunter Guest

The hosted part is understood. It is just a hunch, a gut feeling. Why Germany? There are many other countries to choose from. Think about it and it all makes sense. Hope you are right about the "disconnect". Same story about TrueCrypt, BTW. Am old enough to know our snake oil merchant friends.

3. lotuseclat79

lotuseclat79 Registered Member

4. lotuseclat79

5. mirimir

6. Dermot7

Dermot7 Registered Member

7. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

8. lotuseclat79

9. siljaline

siljaline Registered Member

10. lotuseclat79

11. PaulyDefran

PaulyDefran Registered Member

Yeah, cuz if I wanted to remain anon, I'd use my real name... :rolleyes:

12. DedicateNier

DedicateNier Registered Member

Nah, looks like it's not him:

If this is true things could get ugly for Newsweek.

13. mirimir

I wonder how many "Satoshi Nakamoto"s there are in the US. Or in the world.

I'm guessing that there are a lot.

And anyway, why does it matter, at this point?

14. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

http://www.forbes.com/sites/andygre...anges-ceo-claim-to-publish-evidence-of-fraud/

15. siljaline

siljaline Registered Member

http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/03/11/us-bitcoin-karpeles-idUSBREA2A1VM20140311

16. lotuseclat79

17. noone_particular

noone_particular Registered Member

IMO, Bitcoin has been all but destroyed as a currency. Because of its fluctuating and often increasing value, it's become more of a commodity. I question how much long term value a completely intangible commodity can have. IMO, an alternate currency like Bitcoin would have a better chance of surviving as a currency if its value is fixed and not based on the value of another currency, especially dollars. With a stable value, there'd be little inventive to hoard it.

18. Dave0291

Dave0291 Registered Member

I've felt for a while that it wasn't going to go anywhere, but good luck getting people to believe it. It's become a joke, with even the respected ArsTechnica site recently creating its own (completely valueless and for fun as they readily admit) version. It wasn't supposed to be a fad, but with the various knockoffs that have been created, that's what it has become. Between the hoarders, a new version being created what seems like weekly and the massive failures of places like Mt Gox, the coins own supporters have screwed it. No regulation, no stability, too little security oversight, hoarding, all these things are as close to dooming these currencies as can be.

There was a glimmer of hope when the government slightly began to accept that the currency had possibilities and might be able to be regulated and recognized. However, in recent weeks they've changed their tune and admitted that they can't, at least for now. By the time the proper legislation and other necessary things are put in place to do so, digital currency may be "so 2013/2014". I've read and listened to all the arguments put forth for its success, including our respected Mirimir. But I'm just not buying what they are selling. There are just too many negatives and not enough positives for this thing to survive, never mind thrive.

19. lotuseclat79

20. noone_particular

noone_particular Registered Member

LIke so many good things, what is killing Bitcoin is greed, pure and simple. In order for Bitcoin to succeed, it has to be an exchange medium only. Not a commodity, not a collectible. The ability to profit directly from its existence or value has to be eliminated. Right now, it's got many of the same problems as normal currency and rare commodities like gold. Using gold and the dollar as examples, neither ones value is based on anything concrete. Often the value of one is expressed by a quantity of the other. When gold doubles in dollar value, does that mean it's worth twice as much or has the dollar lost half of its value? Bitcoins value should be based on something stable and common, not the value of other fluctuating currencies or commodities.

21. mirimir

There is massive demand for independent online cash. None of the legacy value-exchange systems are workable in the global Internet context. Expectations have changed irrevocably. Bitcoin is a prototype. And there are bugs. It may evolve fast enough to survive, or it may get displaced by something better. For now, it works well enough :)

22. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

23. mirimir

24. lotuseclat79

25. lotuseclat79

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.