Online Banking Confusion

Discussion in 'other security issues & news' started by Luxeon, Jun 25, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Luxeon

Luxeon Registered Member

I read a bunch of threads concerning online banking safety, but want to see if I can figure out a good strategy.

I have Vista X64 (firewall on, of course), MSE, SAS, router. I use Firefox mostly, and keep all of the programs up-to-date. The computer accounts are password protected (VERY strong passwords), and we work from limited user accounts. I have the UAC on the stock setting.
    I use KeePass (sweet little program).
    We don't surf to the darkside.

So...I think the keys to banking online safely are:
    1. Make sure the website is secure.
    2. Use Firefox (though I guess IE is now more secure). I do not use NoScript--can't stand it. Chrome might be good too.
    3. Router and firewall. My firewall does not have outbound protection enabled. I have read some of the tutorials on enabling outbound protection, but found it to be pretty tedious. I kinda miss Zonealarm in that regard (except for the annoying issues I frequently had).
    4. Possible Keyscrambler...?

I figure MSE and/or SAS might catch a keylogger. Might.

Would the Vista UAC alert me to trouble? If so, can I optomize the settings?

A firewall with outbound protection may prevent a keylogger from transmitting info, correct? If so, which would be easier/better: enable outbound protection on the Windows firewall or use a different firewall?

Keyscrambler will prevent a keylogger from capturing keystrokes. How do you prevent screen capture or clipboard capture?

I think Prevx is supposed to be good at minimizing online banking risk...but, is it necessary?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Bob

2. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

One can get too paranoid after reading a lot. I do online banking in Win 7 x64 and all I have is a router, no AV, just LUA/DEP, nothing else. I have no problems.

What are you doing there that makes you fear you are or will be infested with keyloggers and malware?

Last edited: Jun 25, 2010
  3. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

Just use a freshly cleaned sandbox (Sandboxie).

4. MaxEntropy

MaxEntropy Registered Member

Kerodo is certainly right that one can get too paranoid about this.

Prior to the advent of SafeOnline, I just used Firefox or IE with KeyScrambler for online banking. I used a browser with Sandboxie for general browsing, so that the browser and the rest of my system hopefully stayed clean.

I don't sandbox the browser for online banking, as there's unlikely to be malware on the bank's website and Sandboxie inteferes with SafeOnline (although there is a workaround for that).

I took advantage of the extra security offered by SafeOnline when it came out and felt that it was worth the small fee for the extra level of security and the peace of mind. It's particularly nice to have when travelling abroad, as I once picked up a nasty PC infection from using the internet in a Chinese hotel.

SafeOnline is worth trying to see if you like it. I find it simple and unobtrusive, and it seems to do the job. I'd personally rather have it than not have it, as it provides protection that could save me from the increasingly menacing threat of online-banking fraud. It also happens to be integrated into Prevx 3, which I use anyway, so it's no extra hassle.

SafeOnline is perhaps not necessary if you don't think there's likely to be a significant threat to your system, which as an x64 system should be intrinsically more secure than my x86 Win XP.

5. markusg

markusg Registered Member

you can also use an linux live cd.
    what kind of proceedure you are using? pin/tan? there are more secure out and you can perhaps use an other. chipcard for exsampe is more secure.

6. Luxeon

Luxeon Registered Member

Well, I did have an incident about 1 year ago where a $500 charge was lodged against our checking account. The money was laundered into an online credit card. I still don't know how our account was compromised, and I didn't find anything on our computer.

I am just trying to assure that my practices are appropriately safe.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.