Online backup

Discussion in 'polls' started by ashishtx, Jan 11, 2009.

?

which onlinebackup/online storage do you all prefer?

1. Mozypro

8 vote(s)
    10.8%
  2. carbonite

2 vote(s)
    2.7%
  3. Jungledisk

3 vote(s)
    4.1%
  4. elephant drive

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. spideroak

3 vote(s)
    4.1%
  6. windows skydrive

19 vote(s)
    25.7%
  7. Idrive

8 vote(s)
    10.8%
  8. iomega istorage

1 vote(s)
    1.4%
  9. Syncplicity

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. Dropbox

15 vote(s)
    20.3%
  11. backblaze

2 vote(s)
    2.7%
  12. Mobileme

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  13. box.net

4 vote(s)
    5.4%
  14. dell datasafe

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  15. Hp upline

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  16. Nomadesk

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  17. sosure online backup

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  18. webroot online backup

1 vote(s)
    1.4%
  19. symantec online backup

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  20. norton 360

1 vote(s)
    1.4%
  21. sosbackup

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  22. susgarsync

3 vote(s)
    4.1%
  23. windows livemesh

1 vote(s)
    1.4%
  24. intronis backup

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  25. wuala

3 vote(s)
    4.1%
  1. ashishtx

ashishtx Registered Member

With the advent of falling storage prices and increasing bandwidth, everybody seems to offer online backup. I want to know which online backup service do you all prefer?

There are many more services but these are just the few that come to my mind at these moment.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2009
  2. chrisretusn

chrisretusn Registered Member

I did not vote. No option for None. I do not use an on-line backup service. All backups are done locally.

3. noone_particular

noone_particular Registered Member

No vote here either. I've spent too much time securing my PC and keeping my personal data private. I'm not going to just upload it to some online storage group I don't know. Even if it's encrypted, you're putting a lot of faith in an encryption program, its implementation, and the algorithym itself by putting it in a situation over which you have no control.

4. jrmhng

jrmhng Registered Member

What do you use to keep your data safe? You have to trust someone with your data. Even if you use an encryption program like Truecrypt, then you have to trust truecrypt developers for example.

5. ashishtx

I truly agree about the security concern with respect to data but we use email and do bank transactions online/inperson. I always thought email as a form of storage which sends data/message. Aren't we trusting them? some people do encrypt email but majority of us don't. We certainly don't have to use online storage/backup but i think if we use internet we are using it in one form or other.

6. noone_particular

My data stays local. Data that's important gets backed up to a separate drive or external media. With online storage, you give up the ability to control access to your data.

I basically trust the encryption software I use, but I also recognize that nothing is 100% secure. When describing something as secure, two variables always figure in.
    1, Secure against who?
    2, for how long?

With online storage, "Who" can be anyone or everyone. You don't know. In todays political climate, making obvious use of encryption draws attention to you. It wouldn't surprise me at all to learn that the NSA keeps tract of all encrypted data stored online and lists the owners as "people of interest".

With online storage, the 2nd variable, "for how long" becomes unlimited. Even if encrypted, the data can be copied and subjected to almost unlimited attempts to brute force it open. The potential to brute force it open is increasing as processing power increases. Some very formidable cracking power is commercially available now. http://www.elcomsoft.com/edpr.html

With online storage, you have no ability to monitor or control attempts to access your data. You're relying on a single piece of software and your password/passphrase to protect it. IMO, relying on one piece of software to protect your data is not a sound security policy, no matter how good that software is.

7. ashishtx

It is true that encryption protects the data but only for certain amount of time. I would not store very private data online but there are certain things which can be stored online. As a student i store my notes,pictures,music files and school project related files. This allows me to access them online. I don't think (99.99% ) someone will buy a software to decrypt it or even if they do what do they gain? It depends on what one stores and how?

8. TairikuOkami

TairikuOkami Registered Member

Same for me, I store only common files on windows skydrive (50GB), but as for private files, I keep them on my USB key, close to my hearth, in a pocket. :D

9. Minimax2000

Minimax2000 Registered Member

I would never entrust online services with storing my sensitive data.:thumbd:

10. ThunderZ

ThunderZ Registered Member

Off line in home only.

11. Capp

Capp Registered Member

RemoteDataBackups

Definitely the best backup utility I've ever used. Not very expensive, works great for home or corporate use, very easy to use and setup.

RDB is owned by IronMountain, which is one of the industry leading companies in data storage and security.

Plus, you can do a full free 30-Day trial with ease.

[edit] I forgot to mention, all the data is compressed and encrypted with a key created by the end user. And it backs up every night every file that has changed. It allows you to access your backed up files anywhere in the world via the internet as well, so you can restore them to a different computer if needed too.
    I could go on and on about the awesome features it has, but I'll let you decide for yourself.
    If anybody wants a white paper over it, let me know and I'll be happy to give you more info.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2009
  12. Hiker

Hiker Registered Member

I recently signed up with www.adrive.com 50gigs free.

I only plan on using it for photos and music for when I travel without my laptop. After uploading from home, I'll be able to change out and download music for my mp3 player and upload photos and vids from public computers in libraries and such.

My OS, programs and data are backed-up to external hard drives.

13. Dark Shadow

Dark Shadow Registered Member

Offline Home only on portable External HDD.

14. YeOldeStonecat

YeOldeStonecat Registered Member

Along the Shorelines somewhere in New England
    I built a server that we host online backup on, for our clients.
    Using a package you can purchase called RBackup.

If I open our server cabinet and log onto this server, I cannot see my clients data..it's protected by blowfish encryption..and they have the key for it.

15. TechOutsider

TechOutsider Registered Member

Used to use N360 online backup.

After I stopped using N360, I just backup to my external disc; online ones are clumsy and slow.

16. Ed_H

Ed_H Registered Member

I have used both Mozy and IDrive. Both work well but IDrive seems to have consistently faster upload speeds.

17. TonyW

TonyW Registered Member

Some people think of using an online backup service as added insurance in case their external hard drive goes belly up. If that failed, you'd lose your data, but you could still restore from elsewhere such as one of these services.

Of course, the same could be said of online backup. Either way, there is that risk.

18. PJC

PJC Very Frequent Poster

SkyDrive

19. encus

encus Registered Member

I don't do online backup.

20. Wild Hunter

Wild Hunter Former Poster

Microsoft SkyDrive, hands down.

21. noone_particular

None. Backups stay local.

22. jadinolf

jadinolf Registered Member

YEP, same for me.

23. LoneWolf

LoneWolf Registered Member

No online backup here also, only on external hard drive.

24. jo3blac1

jo3blac1 Registered Member

Back up only personal photos and educational files to skydrive. You guys realize that you are making yourself "persons of interest" if you don't have cloud back up, facebook and gmail.

25. chrisretusn

chrisretusn Registered Member

Why is the "None" option always left off? ;)

All my backing up is done locally.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.