Online armor.

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by chaos, May 4, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. chaos

chaos Registered Member

I have heard recently a lot about this program .
    What is this program about.Is it a HIPS?
    I have kav 6 ,ewido 4,outpost 3.5,spysweeper 4.5.9
    do i need it?

2. .....

..... Registered Member

Yeh is a HIPS system, very easy to use one may i add :D . It has some features your products don't have like execution protection, host files protection and more.

Give it a go - its free for a trial period.

3. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

OK I gave it a go together with Prevx1 and RegDefend.
    My only trouble was Hostsman, which is a known problem with Online Armor.
    Now the choice was very easy this time : Hostmans had to die.

So I uninstalled Hostsman, using Total Uninstall, rebooted my computer and the problem was gone and I was back on the horse. :cool:

4. tobacco

tobacco Frequent Poster

ErikAlbert

Does this mean your testing enviroment is up and running now?.I tried installing Prevx1 along side my F-secure suite and had a complete lockup.Couldn't enter safemode so it took an hour and a half to un-install Prevx1 waiting for windows in explorer to open.

5. Notok

Notok Registered Member

For anyone trying out different apps together, ProcessTamer is a great thing to have. If there's a conflict that ends up causing 100% CPU (as tobacco describes) it can keep your system from becoming unresponsive. It does so by automatically lowering the priority of anything using excessive CPU, so when you have to open something else to resolve the problem it can still get the CPU time it needs.

Just something you might want to have if you want to try mixing different apps ;) This has saved me a great deal of headaches while doing beta testing and generally trying out different apps.

6. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

No, I'm still not ready for testing, because my external backup harddisk and printer is missing. VERY ANNOYING.

Today, I installed
    - "Sun JRE" for online-banking

I also installed :
    - "Prevx1"
    - "Online Armor"
    - "RegDefend"
    just to see what these softwares are.
    My computer works a bit slower now after these 3 softwares, response time was 1-2 seconds and now 3-4 seconds, not for all programs and especially the first opening is slower.
    Not a problem for me. It still works fast enough for me. :)

7. tobacco

tobacco Frequent Poster

Notok

Thanks for the link.

8. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

Speaking of Online Armor, its newest version is OA-AV+ -- a full-on HIPS that also includes Kaspersky Antivirus plus an Anti-Spam filter. It's just now out of beta, and available for 30-day free trial at TallEmu's home page. I'm running it now. GREAT program! Stable. Amazingly light footprint, especially given the fact it incorporates Kaspersky AV. Excellent support forum.

9. tobacco

tobacco Frequent Poster

Bellgamin

Can one trial OA-AV+ if they've already trialed Online Armor?.

10. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

AFAIK, yes. OA-AV+ is a completely separate program from the old Online Armor. However, the old version of OA is still good. It simply lacks the spam killer & KAV.

Be aware -- if you already have the older version of Online Armor on your computer, you must uninstall it before trialing/installing OA-AV+.

11. MikeNash

MikeNash Security Expert

Hi ErikAlbert,

HOSTMAN incompatibility is fixed in the AV+ build and we will be rolling this fix into OA in the next few days.

Mike

12. MikeNash

MikeNash Security Expert

Hi tobacco,

Yes, you can. You are more than welcome over at the support forums over at tallemu.com if you have specific questions, although apologies in advance for the mess as the site is being "renovated" right now.

Mike

13. tobacco

tobacco Frequent Poster

Thanks Mike and Bellgamin.

14. chaos

chaos Registered Member

Ok i'll try it .thanks for the help.

15. Mongol

Mongol Registered Member

I just loaded the trial version of the new Online Armor & AV and am very impressed so far. Has anyone found a way to access any AV settings or quarantine? A scheduler for scans would also be a nifty feature. All in all though this is a nice setup the Tallemu gang has released..:thumb: :D

16. .....

..... Registered Member

I beta tested AV+. We put loads of suggestions on Mikes list. The ones you mentioned are on the list. Unfortunatly there isn't a way to do any of what you want yet :doubt: .

17. MikeNash

MikeNash Security Expert

..... is right, there is no way to do what you want, but it's on the list. When we put together AV+, the intention was (and still is) to make it as simple to use as possible for the majority of users.

What we are trying to achieve was something that made you safer (adding in the AV Engine) without overly complicating things. That's why the AntiSpam in AV+ , for example, may not get all of the spam - but you don't need to configure it or train it - nor, for the most part worry about false positives which are things the average "mom" doesn't need to understand or worry about.

However, we do realise that there are users out there that want some more control over the way things work, and we'll be refining things over the next weeks and months to keep improving the products.

If you do have more specific questions, you're welcome over at our site where I can go into as much detail as you can stand :)

Mike

18. Mongol

Mongol Registered Member

Excellant explanation and pretty much what I was thinking. Keep it simple for all users yet robust with the KAV engine. You probably noted I have already been to the forum too...:eek: :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.