Online Armor Vice Malware Defender

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by bellgamin, Mar 7, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

I followed my own suggestion & sent Xiaolin an email requesting he add a RunSafer-type option to MD. He replied (paraphrase) that the feature has been in his to-do list for a long time, & that he will try his best to implement it in the near future.

I hope "near future" comes quickly.;)

MD's network control works just fine for OUTGOING only. No incoming filtering AFAIK.

On my MD-based image I recently cleaned out all the old outbound "permits" except those pertaining to security updaters and browsers & email clients. Now I am being MUCH more cautious about allowing any new outbound connections.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2010
  2. 0strodamus

0strodamus Registered Member

I wish he would bump screen capture and clipboard logging ahead of any RunSafer-type option on his to do list.

3. 0strodamus

0strodamus Registered Member

I'm running it here under a limited user account on XP. Maybe this is a Vista/Win7 restriction?

EDIT: I did have to add it to SuRun's Execution Hooks blacklist and SuRun's "automagic" privilege escalation to ignore.

4. subset

subset Registered Member

With MD you can create rules for outgoing and incoming connections.
    However, to me MD's network protection and the Windows Firewall are a great tandem.
    It's easy to set up rules with MD.
    In addition I can also create inbound rules with the Windows Firewall for protocols, which MD does not explicitly support, like ICMP, IPv6 or IGMP.
    I think the only relevant protocol which both miss is ARP.

Dropmyrights would be indeed a great feature for MD, as RunSafer is for OA, because a lot of prompts can easily be suppressed when a program runs with lower privileges.
    So I hope we will see this anytime soon.

Related to OA configurable registry and file rules would be great, but I don't think we will see this in the foreseeable future.
    Different developers focus just on different things, but after all it's great that we have excellent alternatives with MD or OA to all this mainstream business AV/suite stuff.

Cheers

5. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

You are correct, but MD provides near-zero granularity on network rule-setting. Xiaolin has repeatedly said that MD is NOT any substitute for a firewall. However, my router is SPI & NAT, so I feel that all I need is MD's outbound network controls.

Agree.

DropMyRights (a stand-alone, free, tiny app) is reviewed & downloadable HERE. Per the author (Michael Howard) at THIS site...

6. _kronos_

_kronos_ Registered Member

I'm talking about limted user in Xp. In your case MD is compatible because you use SuRun, otherwise there would be some problems..

7. wearetheborg

wearetheborg Registered Member

Does OA work with LUA? If I use online armor (installed in root account), then programs dont start in my LUA. If I pick something in the start menu, like firefox, it says not found, or not allowed. Is there a fix?

8. Searching_ _ _

Searching_ _ _ Registered Member

I would definately like to see an improvement on ARP protection.
    ARP Replies with no requests should be dropped, logged and alert user for ARP Poisoning attack.

If OA and MD are not protecting users in this, shame shame.

9. Baserk

Baserk Registered Member

No problem here with XP SP3.
    I've installed both in the admin account and can use firefox in a LUA; no issues.
    Did you install OA and/or FF for 'all users' or 'only this user' e.g. admin account.
    Or did you perhaps add the user account after installing the progs?

10. wearetheborg

wearetheborg Registered Member

Hmmmm I dont think I got the option of installing OA for all users..Other programs are installed for all users. The user account was created pretty much when I got the computer.

I will try removing and resintalling OA.

11. JosephB

JosephB Registered Member

How does OSSS stack up as a HIPS, in terms of features ? (it did excellent on matousec)

Specifically, ...........

1. Does OSSS have user configurable protection for the following:

a) User configurable - Registry autorun entries ?

b) User configurable -File and Folder protection?

2. Does it have a Sandbox feature ?

3. What are the basic differences in the protection approaches between OSSS and MD ?

Last edited: Aug 4, 2010
  12. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

This thread is about OA vs Malware Defender. Please do not bring other products in to this thread.

Thanks,

Pete

PS JosephB, there are threads about OSSS. You can ask your question there.

13. JosephB

JosephB Registered Member

Peter2150,

Oops ! .... Sorry, about that !

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.