Online Armor version 2 is out!

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by Bio-Hazard, May 31, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MikeNash

MikeNash Security Expert

Yes, but we haven't quite got it ready to rock yet.

2. rdsu

rdsu Registered Member

Thanks for making it free, as I already suggested, but than I'm not interested since is based on old technology...

3. Kees1958

Kees1958 Registered Member

Hi Vamparic Crow,

What did you expect? money for nothing and chickens for free?

Freeware is nearly always an older version (e.g. SSM) or a crippled down version (Pro Security) or in best cases a stripped down version (GeSWall free) or Nagware (Ghost Security Appdefend). A friend of mine uses SSM free only to prohibit the nag screen of Antivir and Appdefend, he uses WinPooch in stead of Regdefend.

In some cases I wonder: how the heck is it possible that regdefend sells when they can get WinPooch for free (which also includes internet traffic control and file protection), why do people use MJ Registry watcher when they can use WinPooch which stops the badguys immediately in stead of afterwards?

When it is free in 95% of the cases it is not the full package (excluding open source and linux of course).

Regards K

Last edited: Jul 8, 2007
  4. MikeNash

MikeNash Security Expert

Hi Vampiric Crow,

The free version of OA was a last minute decision on my part (hence why it's not available yet) - basically OA2 does not support 9x. OA 1.1 does and so I figured we'd make it free.

As for free versions of software in general - it is a double edged sword. Too little functionality, and it's useless. Too much functionality and you cannibalise potential sales of your main product.

By making 1.1 OA free, we have a clear differentiator between 2.0 and 1.1.

V2 is built on kernel mode, and has the firewall. That makes it more powerful, and more secure. If we based OAFree on the v2 technology - exactly which parts would you disable?

If I disabled execution protection, for example and left in the firewall then you'll get people who use another product with execution protection, plus OA's firewall. If I disabled the firewall in the free version (but left all the other stuff) you'd see people use another firewall, and OA for the rest.

Those two things would really be my only options to have any hope of explaining easily the differences and why you should upgrade to the full version.

Furthermore, the whole idea of OA was to make a nice, integrated and easy to use suite... and it's not exactly expensive.

Online Armor AV+ includes Antivirus, firewall, mail and web filters, hosts checker, etc, etc.... $89.95 for three computers, including a year of updates. That's not a bad price,really.

Every time we discuss free versions of our products (internally, or in our inner-sanctum of beta testers) we generally find the outcome is that the costs outweigh the benefits. Perhaps this is short sighted on our part - but I think not.

We have a product that is End of Life that we're giving away free, rather than just lock it up on a backup tape. We're not obliged to do this - it was something we thought was "nice" - and make no mistake - it's also marketing. When we get OA Free out, we're hoping that people like it enough to try OA2.... and we hope that people then purchase OA2. If they do, then the goals of OA Free will have been met.

If a potential customer doesn't want the free version, and also doesn't want to pay for the new version - well, they don't really add that much value to our business - so they're not really the sort of customer we would want.

So, if you don't like the idea of OA Free being old technology, why not buy OA2. It's shiny, new and does a lot more :D

Mike

5. rdsu

rdsu Registered Member

Mike,

As I already said, and will repeat, thanks for making a free version of OA... :thumb: ;)

I understand your point of view, but I prefer the way ProSecurity manage their Paid and Free versions.

They always have the lastest technology on both, so they can also improve their Paid version, because the free users will report about possible issues, and also spread their product.

But this is just my opinion, and I respect yours... ;)

Regards

6. bob3160

bob3160 Registered Member

When will you have a Free version available which is Vista compatible and, passes all the usual assortment of tests ?

7. Pedro

Pedro Registered Member

Version 2 and not 1 was the actual final choice. See here

8. maddawgz

maddawgz Registered Member

I know sigh! cant you install w/o firewall on vista?

9. MikeNash

MikeNash Security Expert

Not really sure - I'd like to see how we go with OA before I commit to a date on the Vista release

10. LoneWolf

LoneWolf Registered Member

Trialing and likeing OA v2 AV+, :D
    I have a lic for OA1.1.
    1. Wondering since I have already bought OA1 I can use OA2 with the same lic or do I need to contact Tallemu on this?
    2. And would I be able to get a discount on the AV+ version ?
    3. Is there any progress on the Admuncher conflict?
    4. On the AV part of OA, I see there is no quarntine just allow or delete will this change in future upgrades or no?
    5. I see with OA I probably don't need task catcher anymore or will it not be a good idea to leave it on?
    6. Setting explorer to run safer, so that meens all web sites I visit will be under limited account ?
    7. Is run safer something like GeSWall ?

Sorry for so many questions but Tallemu has me interested in OA. :thumb: (again)

Last edited: Nov 3, 2007
  11. lucas1985

lucas1985 Retired Moderator

Yes.
    Both isolate the OS core, but GeSWall does it with "elegance" and offers stronger protection.
    Users
    Using a LUA is safer than using an admin account and restricting rights of applications.

12. MikeNash

MikeNash Security Expert

Agree with you.

Runsafer is there because despite this, many users will login as admin anyway :)

13. lucas1985

lucas1985 Retired Moderator

And that's a feature which sets Online Armor apart.
    Online Armor's path of evolution looks very good.
    Above-average protection, mom-proof pop-ups, protection at various levels, continous development and superb support are your key advantages :)

14. LoneWolf

Well after a few unexpected freeezes and reboots OA off again.:(
    Back to my old set up which runs great and also offers superb protection IMO.
    The only thing I believe I am week in is outbound HIPS type protection.
    Wondering if Prosecurity free or SSM free would cover what i'm lacking.
    Or if i'll run into any problems.
    O well guess there's only one way to find out.

15. aigle

aigle Registered Member

What u mean by outbound HIPS type protection?

U have LnS already. HIPS must be having an out bound protection not better than LnS.

16. LoneWolf

17. aigle

aigle Registered Member

So u mean lesk tests! That,s the job of a HIPS either standalone or built into a FW.

Do u need it or not? It,s ur decision.

18. LoneWolf

I know. :D

I don't know. o_O

I know. :D

19. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Glad to know that u know a lot.:D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.