Online Armor problems. Alternative pls.

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by avboy, Dec 9, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. avboy

avboy Registered Member

Hello,
    With the latest release my OA firewall has become a joke. It adds sites as trusted at random (even when ignore OA Web sites list is *checked*).
    Now the blocked sites on web sites list do not work too. I had blocked google.com. But I can still access google very much.
    So I have decided to move on. Your suggestions will help me particularly w.r.t
    1. Block all inbound connections (which was not the case in OA by default)
    2. Block all connections to specific domains like google.com, preferably by domain name and not by IP
    2. Similar to banking mode in OA to ensure the connection is not compromised and
    3. Program guard feature that wont let programs run without permission.

It doesn't matter whether it is paid or free. Thanks in advance. (Win Vista 32)

2. Scoobs72

Scoobs72 Registered Member

There is a long thread on the Online Armor support forum about this. If this is the only reason you're moving on from Online Armor you should probably read that thread and then decide, if you haven't already read it.

If you're still looking for an alternative it would be helpful to confirm which firewalls you've already considered but discounted.

3. Dundertaker

Dundertaker Registered Member

There has been a lot of problems with OA lately. Hope they will resolve this one.

Alternatives....Privatefirewall. free an lots of support here. One of the very experienced fan of PF is bellgamin. You can PM bellgamin for help but first ask for his permission.

Also Outpost Firewall Pro ver7 or Comodo if you do not mnd the enormous pop-ups.

4. cgeek

cgeek Registered Member

I have experienced the same issues as you have. After reading the thread at the old support forum I removed OA Premium from my xp machine and have replaced with a different product. :cautious:

5. avboy

avboy Registered Member

Yes I have already read them. But to summarize, I dont have *any* sites as trusted, so OA has no business as adding sites as trusted, whatever be the case. And their domain blocking (based on name) does not work.

I am considering Outpost Pro 7 and private firewall after reading about it here. I just want to know from experienced users whether they meet the above criteria mentioned by me. I am not a security expert, so I am trying to minimize time on installing and checking out every feature on different firewalls, with all your help.

6. avboy

avboy Registered Member

Dundertaker I am actively considering PFW. CGeek do you mind sharing the product that replaced OA? Thanks.

7. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

I switched from OA a year or so ago for the same reasons. Every upgrade was a crap shoot. I have been using Outpost Pro 7 with no problems ever since. I even bought a life time license. :cool:

8. jasonbourne

jasonbourne Registered Member

Yeah same here. Try out Privatefirewall. I myself will be taking the plunge also soon. Free alternative.

Outpost Pro ver 7 is also very nice but not free. But if you take it from the experiences of the users here then the "lifetime license" is a keeper!

Of course there also DefenseWall (not free) but for a few bucks is a good one too.

Cheers!

9. acr1965

acr1965 Registered Member

Anyone have a link to the thread about OA adding trusted sites?

If I ditch OA I'm sure my next fw to try will be PC Tools.

10. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

Be careful downloading PC Tools. On the download page there may be a radio button with a check mark in it. Next to that it says something like, if you don't want automatic renewal uncheck the radio button. If you fail to uncheck it, you will get an email next year informing you that the price for a renewal has been charged to your credit card.:mad:

11. SteveBlanchard

SteveBlanchard Registered Member

Another vote for Private Firewall here. OA was brilliant on my old XP machine, but have had no end of issues using W7 64bit and Vista 32bit on my wife's laptop. I tried OA's latest offering and it slowed down the PC considerably and when I d/l Paragons Backup utility I got asked whether I trusted the download so many times, I though I was using Comodo Firewall!!!
    The only issue I had with PFW was the splash screen and that has been updated so I can turn it off.

Current security setup is
    PFW
    Avast Free
    Threatfire
    Malwarebytes DIY scan

12. cgeek

cgeek Registered Member

@avboy
    I was going to use PFW, but since I had recently bought a 3 user KIS license for my other computer I used that.

13. Scoobs72

Scoobs72 Registered Member

14. acr1965

15. acr1965

PCT fw is free.

16. avboy

avboy Registered Member

After reading all your comments and other threads here, outpost Pro it is for me to start with. Thanks.

17. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

Oops right church wrong pew. I was using their registry cleaner which is paid if it still exists.

18. alex_s

alex_s Registered Member

You have blocked google.com, but are you sure you access google.com, not www.gooogle.com or www.google.com.au ? ("au" can be replaced by local domain)

Try to block *.google.com or *.google.com.*

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.