Online Armor Premium - Question

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by stevan4, Mar 22, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. stevan4

stevan4 Registered Member

Hi,
    If I've had installed OA Premium on my system as only security option with:
    • Online Armor Whitelist
    • Autoconfigure trusted programs
    -both Disabled
    and if I'm able to respond (theoretical) ideally proper on every pop-up ,
    what are possibilities to get infected by any kind of malware?

P.S. Is OA's HIPS capable to block everything if answered correctly and is it enough or I need at list an anti-virus?

Sorry for my English.

2. Cvette

Cvette Registered Member

I too went with a HIPS only setup for a while. But in my personal opinion, it's safer, and I feel much more comfortable with an antivirus to at least let me know if I have an infection.

Just my two cents, sorry I couldn't answer your question though.

3. nessy90

nessy90 Registered Member

I use OA Premium, and love it, however I think youll find that most that frequent these forums would tell you it is always good to have a layered defence, you have what IMO is a good firewall but it would be better if you have at least something that can detect most nasties out there, unless of course you are a computer Guru then you may opt for only the firewall.

Nessy

4. chris1341

chris1341 Guest

I've assumed from your sig this is on a 64 bit Wndows 7 rig. Online Armor is great but like all HIPS based applications is limited on x64 systems because Microsoft prevent applications patching/hardening at the lowest system level (kernal) on 64 bit OS's. Therefore protection needs to be applied at higher levels that can be more easily undone by malicious programmes.

Plenty of info here already if you search for patchgaurd or 64 bit HIPS and a lot of debate as to the relative pros and cons.

OA is still as good as it gets on x64 but I'd be looking to add something else although not necassarily traditional AV's. Light Vitualisation at application level (like Sandboxie) or system wide (like Shadow Defender, Returnil) may be an alternative among a myriad of others.

Cheers

5. stevan4

stevan4 Registered Member

Well said! Thanks!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.