Online Armor on GAOTD

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by chris1341, May 26, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. chris1341

chris1341 Guest

2. Tony

Tony Registered Member

I was thinking about installing this yesterday but never had time to do it.
    Glad i never now.
    One of the better GAOD offers.

Thanks Chris, GAOD and of course Tallemu :thumb:

3. Sportscubs1272

Sportscubs1272 Registered Member

I'm glad that they are offering the firewall again. I got so tired of the same old mp3 converters and screen savers on GAOTD!

4. incursari

incursari Registered Member

Very nice. I get it for my Vista. Thank you.

5. benton4

benton4 Registered Member

6. IceCube1010

IceCube1010 Registered Member

Great deal. get it while you can!

Ice

7. alex_s

alex_s Registered Member

A bit offtopic may be, but since we can see temptative giveaways from time to time I wonder what is the trick and where is the trap ? I mean I can understand this as a promotional action for a vendor, but what profit does giveaway have ? :)

8. thathagat

thathagat Guest

from gaotd...........this seems to be the best part.....i am all for it thanks for the info chris

9. IceCube1010

IceCube1010 Registered Member

Quick question, what happens after 1 year? Does the product revert to the free version?

Ice

10. thathagat

thathagat Guest

....no updates.....after 1 year

i got my key that was quick...........:)

Last edited by a moderator: May 26, 2009
  11. Steven Avery

Steven Avery Registered Member

Hi Folks,

I think after the year you will have the Pro version without updates, with the Pro features (e.g. you have port-by-port control which is one Free restriction).

Note there is some sort of 2-year $10 thing as well. If that is confirmed, I highly recommend it ... rather than sitting wondering if there will be another GAOTD, or looking for other methods next year. The $10 is worth the simplicity and the peace-of-mind, and .. $ available and if you like OA .. it is nice to give a little direct support to the really fine software companies. (e.g. I just bought a lifttime NoteZilla license on Bits Du Jour, $12, simply because of what a fine piece of software it is). There are folks in other universes who spend $50+ on one lunch !

Shalom,
    Steven Avery

12. fredra

fredra Registered Member

If you are using it with an AV that has HTTP scanner and/or checks your email, then you need to exclude that AV from OA AND stop OA from checking email or web pages.
    Please note that this does not support 64bit OS.
    Cheers :)

13. the Tester

the Tester Registered Member

I agree.
    This is the best deal GAOTD has offered IMO.
    Thanks to Mike Nash for doing this.

14. Blues7

Blues7 Registered Member

Yes, the extension for the second year for $10 works. I did so myself this morning.

I've been using "Free" for the past couple of years and was just thinking of upgrading yesterday so this offer came at the right time and the second year was just icing on the cake to add some support for Mike and his team. :thumb:

15. Blues7

Blues7 Registered Member

BTW, as an FYI, if you are running the "Free" version, it appears you'll need to uninstall it before loading the full version. At least I had to.

(Make sure you have your "key" which will be sent to you via email so that you can enter it when prompted during the installation.)

16. Cudni

Cudni Global Moderator

17. soccerfan

soccerfan Registered Member

I got my key. But do I have to install it today or can I do it later too?

18. chris1341

chris1341 Guest

Soccerfan, see post 8. This is a quote from Mike Nash on the GAOTD comments today. You have to register today and your year starts ticking from today but you can install at any time by the looks of it.

Cheers

19. the Tester

the Tester Registered Member

I installed over the top of the free version with no trouble.
    Select "upgrade" when installing worked for me. Shutting down OA free before upgrading is a good idea.
    On the about page is states that I have 364 days left on the subscription.

20. soccerfan

soccerfan Registered Member

Oops, missed that. Just what I wanted to know. Thanks.

21. Steven Avery

Steven Avery Registered Member

Hi Folks,

Nope :) . Mike Nash clarified this on post 138 of the GAOTD thread.

============================

Mike Nash

Licence - it’s a perpetual licence to use the software, including one year of updates. At the end of the licence period - unless you renew - updates will stop. OA itself will keep running, however.

Timing - if you get a key before the GAOTD promo finishes, it doesnt matter when you install. You could sit on the key for a year if you wanted to , or you could install it next week. Basically you have been issued a standard commercial key from our shopping cart - if you installed next week, you get a year from next week of updates.

==============================

Sounds like the clock starts ticking from the time of install, figure up to a year from now ! Although you would think - out of sight, out of mind, let's get this started now. However, even if you are happy with your current firewall, you might want to have this ready for when it expires or perspires (gets fatigued).

One thing .. one GAOTD per person/computer -- while there was a smidgen of ambiguity, it was pretty clear that if you are hoping for a second GAOTD, it should be a license for a second person who actually uses a second computer. They could be household, clearly they should be a real person using the puter actively. One excellent license at free or the super-fair 2-year price, or two, if applicable as above, is very fine.

Its nice to see quality software available at such a light expense ($10 for a two-year license .. or free 1-year). There is probably nothing more important than a good firewall and HIPS, and Online Armor .. definitely a fine starting point for any security scheme.

Shalom,
    Steven Avery

Last edited: May 26, 2009
  22. Firebytes

Firebytes Registered Member

I hope thats right but this is a direct quote from the readme that comes with the OA download from GAOTD:

"You have to install it before the Giveaway offer for the software is over."

23. wat0114

wat0114 Guest

Bought the two year license. For only $10 plus tax it's a sweet deal :thumb:

Thanks for the tip, chris!

24. Sportscubs1272

Sportscubs1272 Registered Member

25. Blues7

Blues7 Registered Member

Interesting. I had closed down OA free and selected the "upgrade" when installing the full version but it didn't take for some reason. C'est la vie.

Anyway, after all the time I've been using the free program, a clean install was probably a good idea in any case and it only took a few extra minutes (and a reboot or two). :thumb:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.