Online Armor Help File Discussion - Split from OA Learning thread

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by Escalader, Nov 3, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MikeNash

MikeNash Security Expert

That's a nice idea.

2. 19monty64

19monty64 Registered Member

Re: Hints on using Online Armor FW-a Learning Thread 4

I think Lundholm is using the "help-files" in the same way others use "Mike"... (he's also been having a go at AntiVir, which he uses!)

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 8, 2007
  3. Lundholm

Lundholm Registered Member

Hi Monty,

Excellent example. The difference here is, that Avira actually does have a downloadable, good manual, even for the free version. I recommend that you both read it.:) So it's easy to decide, if you prefer this product compared to its many competitors.

This doesn't seem to be the situation with OA, and Mike seems to be less worried about it than I am. I think that the help file/user guide issue is very real, no joke, and it excludes some users, who would want to read some documentation before making any decisions.

By the way, you are not supposed to discuss the help file in this thread, I think. :)

4. MikeNash

MikeNash Security Expert

I am worried about getting the help file improved. I am worried about localising OA so that people can see (and understand more clearly) prompts in their own language. I am worried about our website. I am worried about users who have problems using the software, or compatibility issues.

I worry about how long it will take to implement the things that we're working on in our spare moments. I worry about a lot of things.

Right now, one of the guys at the office has the unenviable task of searching this forum, and our forums for every word I have ever wrote and preparing an FAQ, or for inclusion in the help file. (Adam - if you find this post, I know you're doing your job properly. Come and tell me I owe you a case of beer).

My point: there are a lot of things to worry about - and I'm worrying about all of them, including the help file.

5. Lundholm

By the way, I seem to remember some OA conflict with Antivir, so I might not be able to use OA, even if I would like to? Pity! Difficult decision. Present firewall quite good. hmmmmm

6. Lundholm

Hi Mike,

I think your problems will be fewer and smaller, once you have the documentation in place. Not so many questions about the use, and the answer will be: "read the manual!" (I'm sure that your diplomatic vocabulary is bigger than mine - at least in English).

Implementing new features could start by changing the help file. This makes it a lot easier to discuss the change and estimate the effort.

Cheers

7. 19monty64

I usually dLo the help-file before installing most security software, just to get an idea about the inner-workings and such. (Avast has a good PDF help-file too) Sorry for the OT...

8. Lundholm

Meaning?... Don't know much about forum slang. Don't want any misunderstandings ;)

Cheers

9. 19monty64

Re: Intraetians and the Satellitians - Split from OA Learning thread

OT=off topic... I got off the topic of Intraetians and the Satellitians, you know lol

10. Lundholm

Re: Intraetians and the Satellitians - Split from OA Learning thread

Yeah, I thought as much, but I didn't see any reason to be sorry. I go off topic a lot. ;)

Cheers

11. 19monty64

Lundholm, have you read enough of the help-file to get a general impression of OAo_O In standard-mode, it is one of the easiest to set up...

12. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Exactly. Last night I install multiplicity which allows controlling two machines from one mouse and keyboard. Requires this port be open etc etc. I run OA on both machines. Just put them both in learning mode, did the install and setup of Multiplicity with no problem, then took OA out of learning mode.

Help file of that is totally unnecessary. While in total agreement a good help file is necessary, from my on personal experience(read lack of knowledge), I wouldn't mess with advanced settings even with a good help file, till I gained a better understanding of what I am doing.

Again, not playing with advanced rules, I had no trouble setting up the KIS suite to do it's job without opening help file.

Pete

13. 19monty64

So, is the Kaspersky online-activation or copy/paste of license-codeo_O

14. Lundholm

Hi Monty,

I think all firewalls are easy to set up in simple (ZA) mode, but I'm looking for something a little bit more advanced, which i cannot find in the help file. I posted on the learning thread about this.

A little bit inconvenient with all these threads. ;)

15. 19monty64

We're going to need a help-file just to navigate these threads...

16. Hugger

Hugger Registered Member

I think that that may be part of the problem Mike is facing.
    Where as you may not need the Help file for something, what of the people that do need it?
    A Help file is of itself a learning tool that should be for everybody.

Lundholm,
    I use Avira Personal Premium AV and OA with no problems yet. Hope that helps.

17. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

It may be copy/paste or pointing to a key file, but after you've done that it is verified by online activation.

18. Hairy Coo

Hairy Coo Registered Member

You probably would in that case be better suited by another firewall altogether.

As Mike has said on numerous occassions,OA is designed with the proverbial 75 yr old grandmum in mind,with the object of requiring as little tinkering as possible

19. AaLF

AaLF Registered Member

I think the pop-up guides are great. Nicely worded. Easily understood. No jargon. :thumb: :thumb:

20. Lundholm

That is a possible conclusion, yes. My present firewall is quite good. Good for mums too!

Before concluding anything, though, I would like to learn some details about the advanced features without doing a "trial and error".

Still hoping. ;)

21. alex_s

alex_s Registered Member

Friend of mine told me once: "there are such customers, I'm ready to PAY them just for uninstalling my program". And now I start to understand what did he mean ..

PS.
    Sorry, but I hate to read a rabbish in the _educational_ thread. Do you have any _practical_ question ? If not, please, keep your intimacy anxiety inside yourself.

22. 19monty64

Sorry, this is the "Online Armor Help File Discussion - Split from OA Learning thread"

23. alex_s

alex_s Registered Member

Yes, I know. I just didn't notice any key word in the:
    "That is a possible conclusion, yes. My present firewall is quite good. Good for mums too! Before concluding anything, though, I would like to learn some details about the advanced features without doing a "trial and error". Still hoping". I'd be happy to help to learn something about advanced features, but who and how can help in _this_ case ?

Back to the topic. Advanced features in OA targeted to the advanced users. Advanced users don't need a help in most cases. And I'd also add, advanced features may appear to be a disaster for a not advanced user. No help file will help until a user understands how the whole system work (I mean OS primarily). To understand how the whole system works help file is not a helper. One needs to read MSDN in Windows case. For example, should any FW help explain what is TCP/IP ? What is 193,53,9 etc etc ports ? I think It should not. As for me I think a program with clear interface doesn't need help file. So I'd advise OA team to spend their time to the interface, hints and comments raither than to the help file.

24. 19monty64

In a polite way I was pointing out that this thread is about the help-file, which is exactly what the discussion was pertaining to. And the fact that your psycho-analysis was uncalled for....

25. Escalader

Escalader Registered Member

Hey Lundholm:

Now that the learning thread is "waiting" for the "big" OA 3 release I thought I'd pop over here and bug this thread just to stay awake! :D

FWIW, the lastest OA 2 update came today and guess what, the help file has been expanded to deal with some of the Advanced FW gaps pointed out by you and others here and there (OA forum).

I noticed one HELP entry which was interesting (to me anyway).

HELP indicated I can go into advanced mode, make an advanced rule change on Mom's PC then revert to standard no popups and the advanced rule will hold/take in standard mode.

My dream policy for vendors (not just OA) would be if you haven't time to write and debug a help file for the next release then the release has too much crammed in at the last minute!

If all vendors did that, you , me and others have no reason not to trial a product, given that is their hobby.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.