Online Armor Free

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by MikeNash, Oct 11, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MikeNash

MikeNash Security Expert

Time limitations, focus on different things... no particular reason

2. Wordward

Wordward Former Poster

any estimate on when final release will be available on your website?

3. MikeNash

MikeNash Security Expert

Just a couple of days... we're still debating a couple of things and sorting out activation.

Feel free to download the pre-release one though; its based on OA2 so it's unlikely to cause you any problems

4. Wordward

Wordward Former Poster

thank you will do. would final release install over current version though, or will it need to be un-installed first? also will the standard firewall in the free version still be close to the leaktest rating on the matousec's website?

Last edited: Oct 12, 2007
  5. MikeNash

MikeNash Security Expert

Yes, it will be fine to over install. Both versions of OA are the same in leaktest performance (the one that gets released will also pass the failed test, which would put it in the #1 slot)

6. Wordward

Wordward Former Poster

wow good to hear and thanks again for the free version. I have read nothing but good things about you and your product and look forward to trying it.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2007
  7. Cerxes

Cerxes Registered Member

@MikeNash: You missed my question earlier: does OA:s firewall give unsolicited inbound protection during boot?

/C.

8. AJohn

AJohn Registered Member

You should enhance the firewall to be comparable to the late CHX-I packet filter or any other firewalls with strong SPI. You have so many features that are all really nice and well linked in your suite, why lack such an important feature in an otherwise really well rounded security product?

9. Cerxes

Cerxes Registered Member

I agree with this, if deep SPI were implemented to the suite it would be a very interesting alternative indeed.

/C.

10. alex_s

alex_s Registered Member

Mike said there is a state table. In case this state table only allows the packets that belongs to the valid sessions, then it is SPI. The only question is what does OA do with the packets that don't fit in the state table.

But it seems that by SPI you really mean DPI. In general it is very questionable point either _personal_ _software_ firewall should do it. The main goal of DPI (IMHO) is to protect a system from the DOS attacks. From the other side DPI takes extra resources. As for me personally, I prefer my _personal_ _software_ firewall to control outbound and unauthorized inbound with the least resources. If I'm concerned with DOS-stable inbound in case I run important tcp/ip service, I would better use one of the HW devices.

11. tarsins

tarsins Registered Member

Has the Giganews Accelerator problem been fixed?

12. AJohn

AJohn Registered Member

I think my personal level of enjoyment while using my computer is more important to me than important services :D

13. Riverrun

Riverrun Registered Member

It's installed and running and so far so good. Thanks to OA for making this available.

14. mrfargoreed

mrfargoreed Registered Member

Have to say that this is a fabulous product - really impressed with it. Love the firewall. I've been using Comodo for a long time now and using OA makes me realise how much Comodo slows my machine. It 'feels' much lighter with OA. Informative firewall with some nice touches (I like the resolve address feature - so simple). Not too complicated to set up and use, very informative notifications and generally very impressed. :thumb:

15. MikeNash

MikeNash Security Expert

Hi Steve,

I'm sorry, I don't know. But I will find out and get back to you next week.

Mike

16. MikeNash

MikeNash Security Expert

I believe that it will start it's protection once the OAService part has started. So not during driver load, but after service load.

17. MikeNash

MikeNash Security Expert

We have two paid versions - Online Armor (which contains the features missing from the free version) , and Online Armor AV+ - which contains the Antivirus as well.

Thanks everyone for the kind words :)

18. maddawgz

maddawgz Registered Member

Mike Maybe thats why only 8 or 9% because they know its not avaliable for them? or it might be 30%. I know your working on it thanks :)

19. GES/POR

GES/POR Registered Member

Actually Mike there is alot of request even here for vista hips or even 64 bit vista hips for that mather.

Mike many thanks for making this free version available. Last time i used you trial it didnt work well for me but it's better now. Yesterday i installed it and it wouldnt let me boot in windows so i rebooted into errortracking mode and that did the job but it's still stalls bootup more then i expected it would since i know your the perfectionist. About the pm's i don't recall them all but let's just leave it. About the wire transfer thinghy, can't you just add that option to the homepage?

Cheers Mike.

20. Wordward

Wordward Former Poster

anyone use the File system scan yet? i did and it found an AOL Triton_suite_install in an AOL Download folder under Documents and Settings/All Users/Application Data. it popped up an alert that read something about it being on the OA unwanted program list and recommended to delete it. so far OA free is running well and i think the firewall alone is worth the install.

21. aigle

aigle Registered Member

I have a question about OnlineArmor. What about detection of kernel based keyloggers? Suppose I install a kernel based rootkit keylogger( say EliteKeylogger) and then install OA after that, will OA detect the keylogger. If yes, how?

22. MikeNash

MikeNash Security Expert

The free version will not detect these things.

23. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Sorry, wrong post. Actually I knew that and my Q was obviously for the full version but I think I posted it in wrong thread.

24. MikeNash

MikeNash Security Expert

It should, yes. Our prototype keylogger code was able to detect this for a long time.

25. LUSHER

LUSHER Registered Member

A very generous offer, maybe too generous..

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.