Online Armor Free vs. Paid?

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by firzen771, Nov 22, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. firzen771

firzen771 Registered Member

what are the differences between online armor free version and online armor paid?

2. stapp

stapp Global Moderator

3. firzen771

firzen771 Registered Member

that kinda sucks... id rather stick with comodo v3 then, has all the features at least

4. alex_s

alex_s Registered Member

Sucks is to demand too much for free. Kinda programmers also want to eat.

5. dave88

dave88 Registered Member

Yes, it even has the blue screen feature, very nice.

Seriously though, OA Free is a very generous package with no strings. It has all of the most important features included.

6. david banner

david banner Registered Member

7. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Yes. But OA covers quite a bit more with the firewall, some spam monitoring, etc.

8. david banner

david banner Registered Member

Yes. But OA covers quite a bit more with the firewall, some spam monitoring

OK Peter.I am happy with ZA what else is with the non firewall part of OA?
    Is it true it is resource hog?

Also it says one must be online to install as one needs a key. Is that for registration, in a free prog

Thanks

9. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

For everything OA covers besides firewall, pop on over to the website. www.tallemu.com

No I don't find it a resource hog at all. You might actually also discover that the firewall has some stuff you really like. It's got the same LED in the systray that ZA has, plus a status screen 2nd to none.

The key shouldn't be needed for the free version, but there has been an issue, which is being worked on. Should you need a key it will be quickly provided.

Pete

10. Howard

Howard Registered Member

I have very recently installed Online Armor free and while I received an email "Subject: Online Armor (Free) activation key" there was in fact no such key and the programme has been running without any problems at all and without any sign that it needs a key of any kind.

I am very greatful to posts from yourself and others about the merits of Online Armor. You have not exaggerated at all the qualities of this software, nor the remarkably generous features of the free version. It works like a charm here - unobtrusive, a ProcessGuard-like control of applications but much easier to use, compatible with all my existing software - and is a blessed relief after my underwhelming experience of Comodo 3.x

Now I have the not unpleasant dilemma of what to do when my KAV subscription runs out in a month or so - do I continue to run Online Armor free and KAV 7.x or do I go for Online Armor AV+

11. dan_maran

dan_maran Registered Member

This is truly a dilemma, KAV7 can be found cheaper than the $30 price difference of OA AV+ I do believe if cost is a factor. I know personally I don't like suites, so I would go the route of KAV and OA free/paid(less AV+).
    But in the end it is up to you, why not try it for free and then decide?

12. Howard

Howard Registered Member

Cost isn't a factor, at least not at the moment ;) . I don't like suites either and will probably opt for the route you lean towards, KAV and OA paid (I am not easy about simply using this excellent software for free). No rush, but no harm in giving it some early thought either ...

13. kurchatovium

kurchatovium Registered Member

Are there any compatability issues with Online Armor (free or paid)? Like with NOD32 V3 or with KAV 7.

14. MikeNash

MikeNash Security Expert

F-Secure cannot work with OA.
    Admucnher (current release) does not work with OA, but their next release will.
    OA does not yet support Vista.

They're the main ones.

15. Cerxes

Cerxes Registered Member

Testing and using OA free myself as a process guard and I have to agree that it´s a very solid product (and with the latest build finally stable :D). Even if I don´t use OA:s other features since I already have that covered up, I will soon buy I license just for supporting the good work of MikeNash & his co-workers.

/C.

16. kurchatovium

Darn if does not support Vista I cant really use it. :'( Thanks for the quick answer. :D

17. MikeNash

MikeNash Security Expert

:) No probs. It will support Vista soon.

18. kurchatovium

Cool. Vista could use some more firewalls. :D I realize though that Vista is a very different OS then XP so it does take time.

19. despuesvengo

despuesvengo Registered Member

I downloaded Armor Free. I just want to thank the developers of this firewall. I just installed it, gave permissions or not, and it worked PERFECT!

Thank you so much for this product. I will test it a little bit more and maybe I'll go for the paid version.

congratulations and keep the good work :thumb:

20. despuesvengo

one simple question for the developers...I experience some slow surf in internet if I have emule or utorrent opened...and it never happened with Sygate...(sorry to name sygate :D )

is there anything I should do or modify to make it go as before with the other firewall or is it because it is just a different soft?

thanks for your answer

21. TonyKlein

TonyKlein Security Expert

This has already been fixed in the current beta; stay tuned! :)

22. despuesvengo

thanks TonyKlein

In fact I wrote in OA forum and I have received some answers and yes, my perception was correct. The next version (maybe 1st week in Dec) will have this issue fixed. So I'll wait and download and install again.

cheers

23. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

The free version is a great prelude to a full-featured version, it's really accurate and the HIPS adds a nice touch for intercepting files signalling the system. I'm actually teaming it with EQSecurity and they are completely compatible with no real overlap of consequence. I think one nice feature added for security is on shutdown Online Armor holds the system in check to ensure nothing tries to slip in at that critical moment. Something rather unique to a HIPS.

24. OHM

OHM Guest

If OA supports Vista, it will be on my #1 "to try" list.
    However, I can't buy the full version though, because I'm living in
    Korea, where people don't even have the clue what OA is.
    Hopefully, someday, I will have the chance to buy it.

P.S. Does OA Free protects you well? It seems like there is some important features (like Web-Shield) just not there.

25. Smokey

Smokey Registered Member

Mike, that is great! You will make many Vista users happy with it:thumb:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.