online armor free version backup

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by MuffinMan123, May 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MuffinMan123

MuffinMan123 Registered Member

even though online armor free version does not offer backup option, it does store rules and settings in the program files.

I am thinking if it's possible to copy the setting files in the directory and back it up when updating to the next version of free online armor. but I don't know which files to copy. any ideas?

2. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Yep, buy the paid version. I don't think your idea will work.

3. MikeNash

MikeNash Security Expert

You can copy the DAT files if you like, or install over the top. An over the top install should remember your decisions (although the setup wizard will still run, it will be faster).

However, if you do take the dat file approach there is not a guarantee that it will work. Best to do the over the top install.

Peter's suggestion will also work quite well ;)

4. arran

arran Registered Member

Does online armor have advanced packet filtering rules for each application that you can set up like comodo 3 has ??

like tcp,udp,icmp protocols, direction in out, destination, source ip etc and source port, destination port etc

or does Online armor only have basic yes or no this application can connect to web?

5. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

Free version: basic

Paid version: advanced (what you want)

6. aigle

aigle Registered Member

I copy two DAT files for HIPS rules after wizard is finished and PC has rebooted. Ofcourse u have to close OA first, then copy n then reboot.

Seems OK but i have not examined it thoroughly yet.

7. Escalader

Escalader Registered Member

Yes, all of these settings are available in the paid versions as well you can add your own restricted ports to the OA list. In the free version you can deal with rules on tcp/udp in and out but not destinations and ports. So you would need one of the paid versions.

OA is both a HIPS and a FW. So it can manage if a program runs at all and if you wish to grant it access to the web. It works from a white list of applications which is a different concept for some users.

Suggest you go to the OA web site:

http://www.tallemu.com/comparisons.html

So you can get a better idea of the version differences.

Based on your questions I suggest you get the OA paid version on trial to see if it is sympatico with your setup before laying down your money.

You would want to run it in advanced mode to adjust the ports and other settings to your liking but then you could slip back to standard mode and OA retains the rules created in advanced mode. It allows you to untrust your lan/router and backup your settings. In the free version, there is a non guaranteed work around but that means risk on FW settings.

Hope this is helpful

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.