Online Armor free does not like Sandboxie!

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by ratchet, Jan 31, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ratchet

ratchet Registered Member

Forever I've just accepted the fact that the slow start of a new sandboxed Firefox session was the small price to pay for the security of Sandboxie. A new session takes about 14 seconds to render MSN. Well today I accidentally discovered the culprit is OA. I had it disabled and MSN rendered in four seconds. I am behind a router (firewall) so I could just ditch OA, do a work around, try another FW, or just live with it. Anyone had this issue and fixed it? Thank You!

Last edited: Jan 31, 2009
  2. Kees1958

Kees1958 Registered Member

Use ThreatFire's custom rule to warn when an outbound connection is started.

You should also add another custom rule to be warned when an e-mail or brwser program is executed (explorer will launch a pop-up when you start them normally).

3. stapp

stapp Global Moderator

Your same question over on the OA forum has some answers.

4. ratchet

After reinstalling both OA and Sb without any resolution of the issue I'm now using PC Tools FW. A new sandboxed session starts in around four seconds. I'd used it once before and basically liked it.

5. Murderlove

Murderlove Registered Member

Hey Ratchet,

I personally have not found a work around. I had been trying to figure one out for the past few months. I had been trying different ways of installing both OA and SBIE as well. Mind you that I had no other security product installed when testing it, only OA and SBIE. No luck. One could say 'live with it', but the delay was getting more and more troublesome. I finally gave up. The delay is caused by one of the HIPS components. I do not know which one since I had given up before testing this further. I did notice that by disabling the HIPS components altogether the delay was gone. So in a way you can still use the firewall, but without the HIPS.

I suppose we are one of the few unlucky ones. But maybe future updates will solve the 'problem'.

6. innerpeace

innerpeace Registered Member

I have the problem also and experienced it with both the paid and free version of OA (no AV). Now I have OA free and Sbie paid and still see the same thing. It's about a 13 sec. delay before my firefox window comes up and I have an overclocked Quad core (3.0GHz) and 4GB of memory running XP Home.

7. Nebulus

Nebulus Registered Member

IMO, this is not a problem with the two programs consuming all resources, so it does not matter that much how powerfull your CPU is. It is probably a software conflict between Sandboxie and OA.

8. ratchet

I almost tried it with HIPS off and then the thought kind of passed. PC Tools FW is light but isn't quite as intuitive as OA, e.g. enabling or disabling ports is kind of burdensome.

9. ambient_88

ambient_88 Registered Member

If the two programs are indeed conflicting each other, then it is possible that for a brief moment, all the resources (mainly CPU cycle) might be consumed. For example, that is usually the case when an application hangs up or suddenly functions very slowly.

10. Nebulus

Nebulus Registered Member

That should be easy to find out using task manager, process explorer or other similar app that shows resource usage. However, I was trying to point out that it is irrelevant what hardware the computer has, if there is a software conflict (you can have the best hardware in the world, all resources would be blocked/used).

11. ambient_88

ambient_88 Registered Member

I see. However, you said "...is not a problem with the two programs consuming all resources." In any case, you've made your point clearer, so no need to further discuss about it. :)

12. innerpeace

I stated my hardware specs to eliminate the variable that my system wasn't powerful enough. We all know it's a conflict :).

My CPU usage never goes above 13% starting Firefox sandboxed and the 13% was the Firefox process.

13. scottls

scottls Registered Member

Online Armor PAID does not like Sandboxie either, but...!

I am a beta tester for OA, and have posted/bug reports/logs the SB slow to open problem MANY TIMES on OA forums!
    To no avail! :mad:

I'll have to live with it until...?!- :rolleyes:
    If you shop/bank... online, then all the well hidden keyloggers/rootkits should be a BIG concern!

FREE OA "DOES NOT" detect keylogger/rootkit activity, and disabling HIPS removes this protection! :eek:
    PAID OA RC/public beta, is supposedly detecting 100%!
    ~~~~~~

If you must use OA free... (or paid for that matter!), then I suggest that you also install AntiVir v9/high (does not play nicely with any other installed anti-virus, even on-demand!)!
    AntiVir detects about 90% of rootkits (#1), and 99% of malware (#1)!

I Also regularly run highly-rated free Panda Anti-rootkit v1.08 detector/remover (always been negative, so far!)- :D
    http://majorgeeks.com/Panda_Anti-Rootkit_d5457.html
    ~~~~~~~~~~

SECURITY NOTE!- NEVER log onto shopping/bank... in Sandboxie, and delete sandbox before shopping... (I also terminate all programs, after 1min)-
    If a key logger has installed in SB, it can read your keystrokes outside of it! :eek:

14. MikeNash

MikeNash Security Expert

RC2 of OA should place nice with SBIE again :)

15. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Re: Online Armor PAID does not like Sandboxie either, but...!

If Sandboxie is set up right keyloggers should be a mute point. In mine only the browser can run, so no keylogger can, and even if it could what good is it if it can't access the internet.

16. alex_s

alex_s Registered Member

If keylogger is implemented as toolbar or addon or plugin to a browser it has access to the internet, because it works in a browser process context.

17. innerpeace

In my case it was not Sandboxie alone slowing down the opening of Firefox. It was some sort of conflict with OA.

That certainly is good news to these ears :thumb:. Was it something simple or a bugger to figure out?

18. MikeNash

MikeNash Security Expert

To be honest, I'm not sure... we had some rather large other fish to fry - which resulted in OA becoming much lighter than before. We then had some other dramas - all since resolved.

19. Chalawah

Chalawah Registered Member

My system:

AMD Athlon XP 2800+ 2Gb RAM

Sandboxie 3.34

FF3.0.8 running in Sandboxie

Avira Premium 9.0.0.421

Online Armour Full 3.5.0.6 [RC2] Web Sheild disabled

FF loads in under 5 seconds.

Smooth and no issues.

Whoot:D !

Chalawah:D

20. MaB69

MaB69 Registered Member

Hi,

I'm playing this days with SB and the combo OA/SB is faster at FF launch than the combo OA/DW

After 2 days of use, I found absolutely no conflict between OA & SB

Regards,

MaB

21. MikeNash

MikeNash Security Expert

Maybe we should change the thread title to Online Armor loves Sandboxie :)

22. Chalawah

Chalawah Registered Member

Actually 2.2 seconds on the stopwatch to be specific. Eleven Add-ons and Roboform too.

Chalawah

23. innerpeace

Thanks for the reply Mike.

For those that are saying the RC of OA is not conflicting. Did you have previous mentioned conflict between Sbie and OA? Here are my results of OA 3.0.0.190 (not beta) and Sbie 3.32.

I ran timing tests and all except one (as noted) were done with a clean (deleted sandbox contents) sandbox starting Firefox.

13 sec. Normal OA with protections on
    10 sec. Normal OA with protections on "unclean" sandbox
    10 sec. OA with firewall off.
    10 sec. OA with program guard off
    10 sec. OA with GUI Interface off
    2 sec. Closed and shutdown OA
    5 sec. OA with deactivated HIPS

24. MikeNash

MikeNash Security Expert

We had people reporting slow startups at least. I'd recommend trying the RC2 version - this is the one where it's resolved.

25. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

My FF startup with Sandboxie on a cold start is 28 seconds. Shutting down OA made no differance. FF starts cold in 17 seconds in subsequent SBie startups. Not sandboxed in subsequent startups it starts in 4 seconds. After some experimenting, I installed Opera and made it my default browser. Opera starts cold in 17 seconds with SBie, and 11 seconds in subsequent startups. Not sandboxed it starts in 3 to 4 seconds in subsequent startups. So I conclude that Sandbxie is slowing down the browsers. P.S. I'm using OAv3.5.0.6RC

Last edited: Apr 11, 2009
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.