online armor contacting Hollywood Interactive

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by dolf, Feb 15, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dolf

dolf Registered Member

Free version of online armor is incidentally contacting 64.27.10.30, this site has a simple ad for online armor and belongs to Hollywood Interactive , a company with a notorious spam reputation. anyone else with the same experiences?

2. DarrylW

DarrylW Registered Member

This IP address relates to the Online Armor server. It is not owned or at all related to Hollywood Interactive.

No third party is getting any information from Online Armor.

Regards,

Darryl

3. subset

subset Registered Member

There is a line in the level1 list from Bluetack...
    Hollywood Interactive, Inc. (CALPOP.COM, INC.):64.27.0.0-64.27.31.255

They block the whole IP range of CALPOP.COM and if someone loads these lists into OA he blocks the OA server too. :ouch:

Cheers

4. dolf

dolf Registered Member

i took a closer look and voila : Tallemu's free online armor incidentally scans for email traffic and sends this info to their server, in 12 hours you will get an email from tallemu, offering the full version of oa.
    Procedure tested by using a just activated email address during Tallemu's scan, in fact they are spamming ...

5. fax

fax Registered Member

To understand... according to you OA will inspect e-mail traffic, grab your e-mail headers, trasmit it to OA space ship for then spamming you back wth OA offers?

Sounds very much like a spy movie to me :ninja:
    Isn't it easier to ask for the e-mail at install? :D

6. guest

guest Guest

Could you show some proofs?

7. nessy90

nessy90 Registered Member

Mate if you are trolling then find a nice deep hole somewhere and bury youreself.:rolleyes:

8. 19monty64

19monty64 Registered Member

fear the fanboy lol

9. fax

fax Registered Member

This is the typical message that if perculate to search engines will haunt OA forever even if unfounded.... I have seen this before... o_O
    [Music in the background and drammatic tone ... :D ]

10. gery

gery Registered Member

LOL lights off

11. fax

fax Registered Member

OFFTOPIC: Nice Avatar! :D

12. gery

gery Registered Member

And very strong setup:thumb: :thumb:

13. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

I would be inclined to agree with the remark about trolling, because what you claim, doesn't even make sense.

They don't need to scan your traffic and send info to their servers, to send you offers about the full version.

If you find that objectionable you have two choices. Don't use the product or purchase it.

Pete

14. Sadeghi85

Sadeghi85 Registered Member

OA free asks for e-mail at install for registration and sends one upgrade offer to that address.

15. fax

fax Registered Member

Suspense is gone :( ... the mystery is resolved.... THE END :D

16. MikeNash

MikeNash Security Expert

*sigh* This is why I hate the internet sometimes. There's an idiot born every minute, and they're all buying modems.

I'll deal with the semi-rational part of the query first...

Calpop.com is a hosting company. We lease our servers from them, and they are exclusively ours - not shared with anyone. We have control over what is on our servers, nobody else. 64.27.10.30 is one of our servers. The IP Address is owned by Calpop (as is the hardware) because they are a data center.

I'm sorry you feel our website is just "a simple ad for online armor" though, our web guys will be most upset as that is the legit Online Armor website.

Now for the fruit loops part of the post.

When you install OA free it asks you for your email address, and registers you with our server. We send you a welcome email thanking you for your registeration, telling you where to get support, etc and yes, it contains an offer to upgrade to the premium version. When we do an update to our products we email you. That's it.

We don't scan your email - there is no point, because we already have your email address.

The other reason that we don't scan your email (or do anything untoward) is because 4 years ago, we came from nothing, with no reputation to become a top rated product. We pissed a few people off along the way (mostly competitors, fans of competitors) but we look after our customers and do the right thing. In fact, there's an AWESOME quote from the editor in cheif of computerworld, which reads something like this:

Can you see why we wouldn't do ANYTHING to risk losing this reputation ?

As a note for the trolls out there - this may be a fun activity for you after school, or whatever... but realise that when you start unfounded nonsense rumours on the internet, or post stupid suppositions stated as fact you impact real people. Tall Emu has real employees, who have real jobs, that they do for pay - so they can feed their families... so when you start screwing around posting nonsense, you're not affecting a "product" you're affecting peoples lives.

Thankfully, Wilders folks are a bit more savvy (i know, a huge generalisation) with this being a security forum and all - but really, do you really want to contribute to perhaps people losing their jobs because you want to act an ass on the internet ?

If you are a "fan" of one of our competitors - do you really think that you will impress them with this stuff?

Mike

17. rogervernon

rogervernon Registered Member

Well said, Mike, it needed to be said.
    I am NOT a "fanboy" - I use or try other products regularly - no names, no pack drill.;)
    I find simply that OA++ runs absolutely fine on one of our laptops, after trying many, many other solutions.
    Will it suit our W7, 64 bit laptop when OA supports 64 - who knows?
    I'll try it and decide based on results for ME.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.