Online Armor AV+ and KAV6 Comparison

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by mitsu3kgtsl, Aug 25, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mitsu3kgtsl

mitsu3kgtsl Registered Member

I'm an avid KAV user, and have purchased licenses for their last two versions. Just recently I've seen multiple products using the KAV engine including AOL's antivirus product and Online Armor's integration of the engine into OA AV+. My current setup is KAV6, Outpost 3 w/ Blockpost & Spyware plugin, and Online Armor (the non AV+ version) 1.1.

Now I understand that Online Armor AV+'s core engine is no different than that of KAV's, but if I switch to OA AV+ instead of using the products individually, am I losing any functionallity provided by KAV6 that OA AV+ might not offer? Such as advanced integrity control, or http stream scanning?

I posted this question up on the OA forum, but unfortunately did not receive the answer I was hoping for due to the OA guys not wanting to comment on third party products (understandably so).

So to general things, I need some of you guru's to either suggest a switch to OA AV+, or just keep using KAV6 with OA alongside of it. Some details explaining why would be nice too :) ). Thanks.

-John

2. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

Mike answered some of teh more obvious differences.

also OA *may* lack some features present in KAV's proactive defense.

i dont know if OA's proxy is better/worse than KAV's web scanner tho.

3. mitsu3kgtsl

mitsu3kgtsl Registered Member

Thank you for the response, I just wish there was more details on the differences. Anyone else have any experience / opinions on these two products?

4. .....

..... Registered Member

I'd keep your existing products if you have a license for them. When it comes down to renewal time... then evaluate both setups. OA tends to focus more on "unknown" malware (and will have improvements in this area in the kernel version... and they are adding a firewall soon). KAV focuses alot on "known" malware (although the PD is quite good).

In terms of a comparison:
    Virus scanning (realtime):
    KAV: All files (opened, created, modified), web scanner (all files), mail scanner
    OA AV+: Executed files, HTTP (webpages only), mail scanner

(Of course with both systems you can run on demand scans, which will scann all files).

Other features:
    KAV: Rescue disk, Proative defense, Skinable interface
    OA: Program blocker, some misc features (coming soon.... firewall, kernel mode)

Maybe OA runs lighter on the system, you should try to compare the impact of both systems.

5. Mongol

Mongol Registered Member

My understanding with OA AV+ is that it does not have a full time running guard but that it scans unknown programs before execution for viruses. It also scans HTML pages for viral code as part of the web proxy. The AV part of AV+ is there to help you identify and remove applications that are potentially dangerous. It also will do a full Virus scan. My rambling is rather along the lines of the post just above isnt it?...:blink: :)

6. dja2k

dja2k Registered Member

In my view, Online Amor AV+ has a better forum with real fast responses compared to the actual Kaspersky 2006 Antivirus\Internet Security. Mike is really quick to answer your posts and\or private messeges if you encounter a problem with Online Armor. OA AV+ has the ability to remove all the registry entries created by a program that was infected, but the user executed it anyways and was not caught by the virus signitures. Kaspersky 2006 is still buggy at this point and still uses more ressources than OA AV+ in the long run "not only based on actual memory used, but virtual memory and peak memory stats" Kasperksy might have an advantage now with the proactive defense "not completely stable yet" over OA AV+, but the kernel mode will change that. Honestly I have not tested out the firewall completely, but I have tried it out and its looking really good compared to Kaspersky Anti-hacker. Mike stated that he will make it pass all the leaktests since most people consider that for a good firewall. The team at Tallemu are doing a great job and still adding more and more features to Online Armor AV+. I am still using OA AV+ and have dropped all other essential active software in my main line of defense.

dja2k

7. lodore

lodore Registered Member

i dont have anything against kaspersky but they should of done more beta testing before they realeased it. most software when its outta beta doesnt have many problems. so even thou I want software to come out as soon as possible i would rather wait and get the bugs ironed out first. this goes for all software and as i said i dont have anything against kaspersky so dont flame me

lodore

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.