Online Armor and Safe'n'Sec

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by WilliamP, Sep 4, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WilliamP

WilliamP Registered Member

Among other programs I have Online Armor. Would I gain any security adding Safe'n'Sec? What are the differenses in the two?

2. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

well OA is more similar to winpatrol (guard hosts, start up etc) and it can block some activex. It has a program blocker like PG but Safe 'n' Sec is more in depth with their program blocking. i havent used either program extensively so i cant give u a better answer.

3. Blackcat

Blackcat Registered Member

SnS gives much better registry protection at the present time.

4. WilliamP

I wonder how long it will be before OA picks up Reg. protection?

5. Don Pelotas

Don Pelotas Registered Member

According to Mike Nash, in the next version 1.2, don't know it will be out, you could ask at their forum:http://www.tallemu.com/forum/. :)

6. BlueZannetti

BlueZannetti Registered Member

I've used both. Very different flavors, very similar targets. I guess the most obvious difference is the Active-X filtering in OA, this isn't present in SnS. On the other hand, SnS has registry protection, which I'd view as more critical. Not sure of user/kernel mode implementation differences.

My casual impression is that OA has somewhat more impact on system responsiveness, but it's not a major issue. Running both together showed no conflicts or strange interactions. Both are young applications, so they both will be adding features and refining their product a lot over the next few months. If you have OA, I'd wait until the next release of each before testing.

As it is, SnS is the product I use regularly and am very satisfied with it.

Blue

7. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Hi William

I would suggest trying them both. I use them both and like both of them. While they do overlap, there also are differences. I can't spell out the exact differences, but they do alert on different things.

Pete

8. Notok

Notok Registered Member

Most of the difference lies in SnS' ability to alert on file manipulation, and OA's web shield. The next versions of both may be more similar in many ways, however, so if you've got one of them I would wait until they both release their next versions before deciding. Both are due out soon.

9. The Hammer

The Hammer Registered Member

Any wild guesses as to when each will release a version? Sorry I know this does not conform to the thread.

10. WilliamP

Thank you all for the replies.

11. Notok

Notok Registered Member

As a wild guess, I would say probably the next couple months.. I'd say "around the corner", but I imagine that'd get me egged :D SnS 2.0 will definitely come first, I'm already beta testing it, but I have no doubt that OA 1.2 will not be far behind.

12. WilliamP

I would have no problem in running both. The only thing that concerns me is that there is a lot of different security programs that seem to be planning to incorporate the same protections including firewalls. I feel that may be a problem.

13. Notok

Notok Registered Member

Indeed, and OA and SnS are two of them.. also NOD32 and Prevx 1. That's part of why I say it might be a good idea to wait. OA will at least have the option to turn it off if you wish, no word about the others.

14. MikeNash

MikeNash Security Expert

We're trying to decide whether or not to delay 1.2 (which has greatly improved registry capabilities, amongst others) to include in the firewall or not.

Work has already started on OA 1.2 and as we progress a little further I'll make public everything that's in there.

regards

Mike

15. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

i dont mind a delay if it means a chance to test teh firewall.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.