Online Armor and Avira 8 Web Guard

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by innerpeace, Apr 15, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. innerpeace

innerpeace Registered Member

Hi, I just installed Avira Avtivir premium AV version 8 and was wondering what I need to do to be sure the Web Guard is working. It doesn't appear to be scanning URL's. Do I need to check Interface Loopback interface? If so, should I reboot after enabling Lookback?

In the firewall status window, I can see AVWEBGRD.EXE/TCP is listening with a local address of *.44080 and remote address of *.*.

Thanks,
    innerpeace

2. Dark Shadow

Dark Shadow Registered Member

maybe this will help

Attached Files:

3. duke1959

duke1959 Very Frequent Poster

Let's see. Should you reboot after enabling Interface Loopback? I guess if your wearing boots it couldn't hurt, but since it's late I would just leave them off for the night. LOL.

4. Dark Shadow

Look here

5. Dark Shadow

sorry here it is

Attached Files:

6. innerpeace

djohn,

Thanks for your reply. Mine says Enabled and activated, but no URL's have been scanned. I also didn't install the Mail Guard as I don't need it, but I don't think that matters.

duke1959,

My boots are put away for the summer :p.

7. innerpeace

Ok, I think I have found the problem :oops: . The Web guard works, just not with Sandboxie.

Can anyone confirm this or know of a way around it?

8. Dark Shadow

just downloaded sandboxie and you are correct, web guard Is not scanning will sandboxed.

9. innerpeace

At first I thought it was because I only allowed Firefox.exe and Winamp.exe access through Sbie so I tried adding avwebgrd.exe and it didn't work. I also removed the whole internet restriction period and it still didn't work.

10. Dark Shadow

Oh I forgot to mention I use IE7 so it not limited to firefox,Im stumped.:(

11. innerpeace

Thanks for the confirmations djohn :). I see someone has posted at Sbie's forum so I may find a solution there. It's really not a big deal as I know the AV guard works when surfing as it alerted me once although it was a FP. Still, it would be kinda nice if all my software got along.

12. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

There are something like this that won't work with sandboxie. I know with OA, I get no websites listed, and also if I mark browsers run safer, they won't with sandboxie.

These functions must require some changes to the system, that sandboxie blocks. I don't worry about it as it just means Sandboxie is doing what it is supposed to do.

Pete

13. Dark Shadow

Thank you peter, As sandboxie as my first defence along side returnil and lastly avira and threatfire, will be there If something esapes the first Two. I would say can happen but not likely, so I shell no worry either.:thumb:

14. Sportscubs1272

Sportscubs1272 Registered Member

I have seen several prompts (pop ups) from OA when Antivir updates. Web something dz needs to update, etc.

15. innerpeace

Peter
    So run safer still doesn't work in Sbie? In the release notes for version .127 is says
    I thought maybe this fix would allow the parent process of Sbie to start Firefox with run safer.

16. Stijnson

Stijnson Registered Member

@Innerpeace:
    NOD's IMON module doesn't 'work' in SbIE either, so it's not just Avira's Webguard that cannot scan when browsing sandboxed. Apparently, it is technically impossible to make 'webscanning' (like Avira's new Webguard or NOD's IMON module) work in a sandbox. I hope this helps a bit.

17. innerpeace

Thanks Stijnson. What's really weird is one person says that Avira's Webguard is working with Sbie. I know I have received alerts from Avira Guard (not Web) in the past when surfing so I know it works when sandboxed. Maybe it's a driver thing?

tzuk did post in this thread so hopefully he will have a look.

18. Stijnson

Isn't Avira Guard the same as NOD's AMON module? In that case I can confirm that this does work. AMON monitors all reading/writing to/from all disks and it works with SbIE.
    I'm guessing Avira's Guard works in the same way.

19. innerpeace

Yes, Avira guard is just the normal AV guard. It can see in the Sandbox just like most other AV guards. I just wish the Webguard worked with it. It's a very new feature to Avira Premium though.

20. Stijnson

I'm currently at crossroads myself. Renewing my license for NOD2.7 or switching to Avira (it always scores high in tests and I hear good things about it).
    The only thing I'm not sure about is the proxying in v8 (also implemented in the new NOD3.0).

Will it work with Windows XP firewall without too much problems I wonder (I'm also behind NAT router)? Are there any incompatibility issues with other programs at the moment?

21. osip

osip Registered Member

I don ´t have OA, using Comodo D+...Webguard works with Sandboxie and Opera...I had problems with sbxie driver load and avira tray icon...seems as SB loads now (have to test further)but the Avira tray randomly vanishes though working in background...
    webguard.png

22. innerpeace

Thanks for the pic osip :). I was going to try K-meleon browser today to see if it worked with the WebGuard, but I've had a few distractions. I may try installing Opera and see if I see the same thing as you.

I haven't had problems with the Sbie driver or the Avira tray icon.

23. Stijnson

@osip: So this is browsing with Opera in Sandboxie and Avira's Webguard scans inside the sandbox? What did you adjust in sbie settings to make this work?

Does it also work when browsing with FF?

24. osip

osip Registered Member

I have separate boxes for the browsers where the browser is the only one with internet access...Also I have delete on when closing sandboxie so it is working for sure, no cached files left...I´m not using FF anymore...Also IE 6 installed but not in use, instead I have a non install Maxthon lite to use if needed. The pic is taken in sandboxed Opera...

25. Stijnson

I use the same settings: only the browser can access the internet.
    I hope there are some other FF+Avira8+SandboxIE users here who have been able to get the Webguard to work inside a sandbox.

It seems to me that if Webguard can work with SbIE+Opera it also should be able to work with FF+SbIE, right?

@Osip: Did you install SbIE before or after Avira 8?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.