Online Armor 2.1.0.130

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by gerardwil, Apr 14, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Fuzzfas

Fuzzfas Registered Member

I had this too. I uninstalled AVG and upon reboot, i had the "Safety check" screen and i had to check again some settings. For example i had disabled "Send anonymous data" and it was checked again after the reboot. I uninstalled for now.

2. 19monty64

19monty64 Registered Member

Yeah, that's why I tried to upload the screenie, so that you could see the OA-interface showing that IE was set "to always run safer" with 2 instances of IE showing only 1 green border.
    I set IE, Live-Mail and Live-Messenger to always run safer, but had no green border except when opening them thru the OA-interface. As one of the grandpas wanting a simple app to simply work, this was not the case. I'm setting this pc up for others, not myself, so I need something that works on it's own. The users of this pc aren't going to open OA up to use their apps, so it defeats the purpose of having it installed. This pc runs IE7-Pro if that makes any difference. Personally I'm an Opera fan, but as I said I'm not the main user of this pc, just the one stuck with maintaining it....

Last edited: Apr 16, 2008
  3. larryb52

larryb52 Registered Member

is this for vista yet, end of XP is but a mth away?

4. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Vista is getting closer. I suspect XP will be around a lot longer then a month.

5. tepe2

tepe2 Registered Member

I have a question:

I have Thunderbird set to run safer. Thunderbird has the green border. But if I open a pdf-document from within Thunderbird, the green border is not there. I use PDF-XChange PDF Viewer. Is the pdf-file run safe or not?

6. boonie

boonie Registered Member

Interesting. I normally have Acrobat set to run safer, but for this experiment I unchecked the Run Safer box, sent an email, with a .pdf document attached, to my secondary email address, received it through Thunderbird, and opened it in Acrobat (no longer running with reduced rights). Acrobat did have a green border. Trying to save the .pdf to my system folder resulted in "Access denied". You might try the same test, and see if the test .pdf you mail to yourself can be saved to your Program Files folder or Windows/System32.

7. JennyLagrange

JennyLagrange Registered Member

Please ?

8. MikeNash

MikeNash Security Expert

Hi Jenny

Sorry - do you have any blocked items in startups? Also - do you have Block traffic on network boot selected? We're not really supposed to deal with 1-to-1 support requests here at Wilders - but you can PM me if you like, or repost the question at the official forums...

Mike

9. JennyLagrange

Hi Mike, I posted a "Money back" request on the forum, since I updated firefox to version 2.0.0.14 and saw OA created the 9th dumblicate rule for it. I really have enough of this super-"secure" tool. :argh:

10. dave88

dave88 Registered Member

It creates a new rule because it is a "new" (different) version of the program (firefox). You could just delete the rules for the old version if they bother you.

11. alex_s

alex_s Registered Member

Hm. You seem to be lucky person. How have you mastered to get it ? I just updated my FF with no problems. And if you don't mind, what other security do you run ?

Last edited: Apr 16, 2008
  12. Zyrtec

Zyrtec Registered Member

Hello,

This question goes either to Mike Nash or Alex_S :

I have a spare PC and I'd like to trial OA FREE version 2.1.0.130 on it but I do have a concern.
    I checked the comparison between OA free and the PAID version and it says that AUTOSTART PROTECTION is “limited” for the free version. What is that supposed to mean? Does it mean that when the OS is booting up the computer is unprotected and may get hacked if for example I have an always on connection (e.g.: Cable or DSL) and no router ?

Could you please clarify this just a little bit?

Thanks,

Carlos

13. alex_s

alex_s Registered Member

I think this relates to "block all the traffic during the system boot" checkbox. I have this unchecked to avoid DHCP delay. And I think this rather has "psychological" effect than real. And also I trust in OA HIPS that just will not allow something unwanted to put itself to autoruns :)

14. tepe2

tepe2 Registered Member

Sorry for late reply. I did test. When I open the pdf-file PDF-XChange does not have the green border. I was able to save the file to MyDocuments folder, but I could not save it to Programfiles folder. So I guess everything is ok, right? Anyway I will also set PDF-XChange and some other applications to run safer. And thanks for your reply Boonie :)

15. boonie

boonie Registered Member

Yes, you should be fine. If PDF-XChange had admin rights, it should be able to write to your Program Files directory. I have a couple apps that don't show the green border, but through testing, I know they are running w/reduced rights.

A good idea.

:D

16. JennyLagrange

17. gerardwil

gerardwil Registered Member

What did you asked over there, I don't see any question from you. In fact you are not a member, unless you use a different name.

Gerard

18. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

If anyone updates manually, FYI New v2.1.0.131 is out. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.