Online Armor 1.1 Released

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by MikeNash, Aug 13, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MikeNash

MikeNash Security Expert

Hi Everyone,

For those of you following the "Anyone heard of Online Armor" thread I'm pleased to announce that Online Armor v1.1 has been released.

Online Armor combines a number of features to keep nasties such as keyloggers off your PC

Program Blocker - to stop unknown programs running (with a comprehensive whitelist of safe programs)

Mail Shield - filters POP and IMAP mail for "phishing" scams

Web Shield - filters potentially dangerous objects from websites visited.

Plus, startup warnings, HOST file management and more.

Details are are available at www.tallemu.com - and you can get a 15d evaluation copy from the site - but please bear with me as I am manually handing out keys at the moment, but I do respond to requests for keys immediately that I receive the email alert.

Mike

2. JRCATES

JRCATES Registered Member

Congratulations on the "official" release of OA, Mike :D

Looking forward to the continued development and future product enhancements and extended security features and coverage offered by OA.

Best of luck, and here's wishing you a successful launch (which I'm sure it will be). ;)

3. Hard Rocker

Hard Rocker Registered Member

:D Thanks for the " heads up " Mike !!

HR :cool:

4. richrf

richrf Registered Member

Congratulations Mike! Best of luck.

Regards,
    Rich

5. MikeNash

MikeNash Security Expert

Thanks guys :)) Much appreciated!

6. controler

controler Guest

Hello Mike

I could never get the last version to work. No internet connection.

I uninstalled Mcafee's suite last night and will give this new version a try.

WIll post back on how it goes. If I have a connection, you still have a conflict with Mcafee's new beta.

controler

7. muf

muf Registered Member

Upgrade Offer
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Already using a paid version of a competitive security product?

Send us the licence key of the product, or other proof of ownership and we'll discount each Online Armor licence purchased by $10.

Maybe a clue as to what you deem as a competitive security product? Are we talking ProcessGuard, Regdefend, KAV5, Counterspy, PrevX, Wormguard, SurfinGuard Pro etc. It just doesn't give any clue whatsoever as to what software you would consider as a competitive security product. HIPS is sort of heuristic, so would that mean all AV's that have heuristics are included?

muf

8. MikeNash

MikeNash Security Expert

Thanks Controler - if we have a conflict, I'll definitely look into it.

Mike

9. MikeNash

MikeNash Security Expert

Yes, all of the above. Basically if you are using any paid security product you are eligible. I'll be updating the site on Monday.

regards

Mike

10. muf

muf Registered Member

Thank you Mike. :) Will give OA a whirl. Good luck with it.

muf

11. ReGen

ReGen Registered Member

Thanks Mike.

Purchase went smoothly. Key arrived instantly and $10 rebate shortly after. The key instantly converted the trial to full version.
    OA has been running for a full week now without any problems. I’m currently running it with NIS2005, TH4.2, Spy Sweeper 4, MSAS, Port Explorer, and Security Task Manager.
    Looking forward to the future updates.

12. controler

controler Guest

After removing Mcafee's ISS beta and installing KAV ISS beta last night:

Just installed OnlineArmor 1.1 and my internet connection is fine :D

Same config here PG, COunterSpy, except for KISS.

I used the Beta Key. Hope that was ok.

controler

13. MikeNash

MikeNash Security Expert

Hi Controler,

Seems we have a compatibility question mark with McAfee ISS beta. I'll see what I can do about grabbing a copy on monday, and see if it kills my PC too.

Anyone else running it and OA having any problems? Obviously, I want to make sure OA is able to run on as many systems as possible with no problems, so please let me know if you have any compatibility questions or other strange issues with OA.

regards

Mike

14. WilliamP

WilliamP Registered Member

Mike I have followed the posts on Online Armor and am very interested. I have a lot of security programs. I may be wrong, but the only thing I feel that would add to my peace of mind is OA's Delete function.

15. G1111

G1111 Registered Member

With the following installed what extra protection wil OA provide?

Outpost Pro firewall
    KAV personal
    TH
    ProcessGuard (paid)
    WormGuard
    RegDefend

16. MikeNash

MikeNash Security Expert

I'm not really sure what you have - I'd check out OA's feature list on the Tallemu.com site and see what you find there. Although you have "a lot" of security programs, OA may provide you with more protection via the HTTP filter for example. It also may allow you to retire some of them.

regards

Mike

17. MikeNash

MikeNash Security Expert

I'm not 100% familiar with the exact feature sets of all of the applications you have there, but at the moment, I would say that OA would not provide you with that much "extra" protection, aside from the Web filter and mail filters.

Essentially, the web filter keeps potential dangerous apps off your computer and also implements the "cookie cutter" - which converts persistent cookies into session cookies.

You can check out the OA website and see more detailed features if you like, or just get an eval key from me and have a play around with it.

Mike

18. Notok

Notok Registered Member

From using it for some time now, I can say the main things that OA will provide over those apps are:

Web Shield - DNS verification, filters out exploits, prompts for potentially dangerous objects, alerts you to potential drive-by-downloads, and filters all traffic rather than trying to integrate with your browser, so it will protect your IM, media player, and anything else that may display HTML as well. New exploits to be filtered will be released over auto-update, too, and it doesn't break the way websites are rendered. I don't think I've seen any pages that didn't display right. It also has a list of known 'bad' and 'good' sites, which helps to minimize alerts and maximize security. This feature alone can do a lot to strengthen your defenses.

Program Blocker - Alerts you earlier than most, handles things like rundll32 properly without having to 'allow once' everytime something legitimate wants to use it, prompts for execution of drivers, and more. Then you can go in and view/remove changes that the process has made if you accidently allow someting that you shouldn't have.

Whitelist & blacklist - It won't bother you with known good programs. No reason you should have to click a bunch of pop-ups for something everyone knows is good. It also has a database of known malware, which it will automatically block.

Keylogger protection - Generic detection of keyloggers. It will detect them by how they behave, rather than relying on signatures. The whitelist comes into play here as well, it will automatically allow anything that may be detected as a keylogger that's already known not to be. It doesn't just block anything that uses hooks, either, so the rate of false positives is very very low.

The next version promises to have some very cool stuff in it as well.. definitely can't wait to see it. I'd say it's worth it.. especially with the upcoming features. Tall Emu's existing record for getting fixes and features out so quickly leaves me with no doubt that we will see them as promised, assuming Australia doesn't fall off the map or something. :D

I still use my AV, AT, FW, and script-blocker (RegRun's RunGuard right now, although I also have WormGuard), and it does play nice with them. I'm sure Mike would like it if OA were the only thing we ran, but I guess we'll see what happens with the next version :)

Last edited: Aug 13, 2005
  19. WilliamP

WilliamP Registered Member

Thanks for the replies. Mike I have PG paid, TDS3. NOD32. Counterspy, Ewido paid, and SpyBot.

20. MikeNash

MikeNash Security Expert

Hi William,

I think Notok's post, above sums it up quite nicely!

Mike

21. Tassie_Devils

Tassie_Devils Global Moderator

Also if you want a real test, download PC Security Test 2005 from http://www.pc-st.com/us/index.htm install and run the tests.

I had so many alerts from my Firewall [you have to allow the first 3 out to Port 80 ~ read the tests first which I blocked and then an error come up and I twigged it had to be allowed out as it says it needs an Internet connection DOH!!].

It scans for Ports open, port attacks, tries to install a fake virus [EICAR], tries to change home page, inject something in IE, etc.

Now, ONLINE ARMOUR alerted me to any/all installs First, regardless of SpywareGuard, AdWatch and the only one to react simultaneously was Kerio Firewall when it tried to startup an .exe PC Security tried to start.

I "failed" the PC Test only because I did not 'Allow' anything to be installed by OA in the first place then waiting for my other defences to kick in. Sooo who cares, lol.

You are supposed to let them happen I think, then it does a 'scan' waiting to see what alerts pop up when it 'touches' on a fake virus/homepage hijack, etc. but I did not even let it happen in the first place.

Cheers, TAS... oh see pic of OA first alerting me of homepage hijack attempt, and Kerio alerting on an .exe being called to start by PC Security Test 2005.

Attached Files:

22. richrf

richrf Registered Member

Yes, thanks Notok!

Rich

23. G1111

G1111 Registered Member

Thanks Mike - I think I am set for now. I always keep on eye on this and other forums as things change with time both malware and ways to combat it. I may try your program down the road. Keep up the good work.

24. G1111

G1111 Registered Member

Notok - Thanks for the reply. OA is an interesting program.

25. MikeNash

MikeNash Security Expert

No prob. We're looking at 1.2 features right now - see http://forums.tallemu.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=57 for a couple of them.

As I would have no doubt mentioned in the original OA thread, our pricing is $39.95 followed by subscription to updates @$14.95/yr. The updates include support in the TE forums, plus threat updates and *any* program updates.

There is a year of updates included in the initial payment, so anything I mention as a 1.2 feature will be available at no additional cost to people taking the current OA.

BTW - I think Notok's description of the benefits was far better than mine, but I'm going to claim tiredness/lack of coffee...

Mike

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.