OneCare should not have been rolled out

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by rothko, Mar 16, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. midway40

midway40 Registered Member

2. rothko

rothko Registered Member

For me, this quote from that article speaks volumes about Microsoft's lunge into this market: "Although he didn't specify all the steps Microsoft would take to remedy OneCare's poor performance, Kuo said that the company's developers would come up with virus signatures able to detect entire families of malware, something security-specific vendors have been doing for years."

MS can't expect to enter and take up position in the top row of security products so quickly, even if they have acquired an already respected product's technology.

I for one am quite pleased to see them fail in this way; it's not good to become complacent and this will make them wake up to this fact and realise they can't just wade in with their big name logo and stamp it on any area of computing they want and expect success.

A more cynical person would say that they have for too long been a major cause of computer security problems so the least they can do is spend some time learning about the area before launching in feet first with a product that clearly doesn't address the problems they have (in part) brought about.

3. Pedro

Pedro Registered Member

Common, most likely they're making money with it. From their perspective, this is just a marketing set back... a temporary one.
    If they see that they can't cope with it (unlikely), they just buy another company, or hire a few experts - done.

4. Inspector Clouseau

Inspector Clouseau AV Expert

That's not quite that easy. Without a proper organization of them or giving them enough freedom to let them do what they are best in that'd be just another total failure then. And experts which are not able to fulfill their whole knowledge because of "silly" company limitations running most likely away.

5. Pedro

Pedro Registered Member

True, very true, but it is Microsoft, THE giant. They have organization imo.
    I know, "organization" is subjective with them, but they're not kids, they're one of the most profitable companies. Sometimes i have to re-realize this.

There are theories of course that if you overstretch your competences beyond core competences you'll end up inefficient, and waste resources. But this is still software, even if different. It is associated with their main product.

6. Miyagi

Miyagi Registered Member

I so much agree to this. You gotta give Freedom as much as possible or you're going to loose them. What's in your realm of the world at this time Inspector?

7. maddawgz

maddawgz Registered Member

One care totaled my machine had to reformatt worse product ive ever tried :mad:

8. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

it is poorly constructed, but not terrible.

and it will only get better, give it a bit of time..... :shifty:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.