One thing make me unsure about nod32 is...

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by fzxbeetle, Jun 15, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fzxbeetle

fzxbeetle Registered Member

Virus Definition number. :D
    Why?
    I know that the number is quite different between AVs(f-secure large while Sav small). But most of AV do show their definition number. Why Nod32 not? As a user, I may think that maybe Nod32 is not confident enough to show the figure.
    Well. I know nod32 do very well in AH. But on demand result is not so good.(not that bad but not the best)
    The fact is that AH can not detect all the virus even a lot of known virus(by other av)

It is time to show user that figure no matter how large or how small it is. Just show your confident,nod32.

2. Blackspear

Blackspear Global Moderator

It's about quality not quantity, or to put it another way, it's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog.

Further discussions here.

Hope this helps...

Cheers :D

3. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

Defs number is just a marketing hype and has nothing to do with real detection rates. Also many conmpanies count each version of same family as new signature. Kaspersky for example can detect countless numbers of Rbot backdoor with only one signature (Rbot-gen), same goes with McAfee and it's generic signatures. Not to mention NOD32 where heuristics cannot be counted in any way...
    So forget the numbers :D

4. mrtwolman

mrtwolman Eset Staff Account

4321735172 :) \

Showing defs number has no sense whatsoever. It has no informative value. One AV can have one signature cathing 15 viruses while other need dozens signatures to catch one heavy polymorphic virus....

5. fzxbeetle

Thanks, the discussions are very helpful. Can you confirm that nod32 is written by ASM language? If yes. I would very :eek: coz it is very difficult to do that. I guess the core(or engine) of nod32 is written by ASM?

6. Blackspear

Indeed it is, further information here.

7. fzxbeetle

That is why Nod32 use less CPU resource in my computer than other AVs. Good work!nod32. :D

8. Stan999

Stan999 Registered Member

Another link:

http://www.slovakspectator.sk/clanok-358.html

9. Firefighter

Firefighter Registered Member

But what's the main reason to that DrWeb uses even less CPU resource than NOD and has at least the same level unpacking skills than NOD? I just can't remember other av-engines that have reasonable unpacking engines and so low CPU usage as DrWeb has.

Best regards,
    Firefighter!

10. Stan999

Stan999 Registered Member

Using NOD32 on a game machine. On my end, I like the fact that NOD has minimal CPU impact even with their great Advanced Heuristics marked on.

Of course each platform is a bit different and others may have different
    results with different AVs.

11. Firecat

Firecat Registered Member

If, and only if, DrWeb has been developed with a high level language, then you must realise that Assembly code cannot be optimised to suit hardware of different sorts; however, High level languages can be optimised for various CPUs.

If DrWeb is using a high level language, I would think that they optimise the code to suit the various CPUs in the market.

12. Notok

Notok Registered Member

NOD32 has also been adding a lot of generic signatures as of v2.5, don't forget. :) Just one of several reasons that the number of sigs doesn't really mean much.

13. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

I was refering to KAV, because it's best known by it's generic detection.
    I know that NOD32 has it too.

14. 50000000

50000000 Registered Member

do you mean the nod32 is stronger than KAV
    and the nod32 is the strongest antvirus in the world ?

15. Blackspear

You wouldn't be trying to start a flame war now would you? Mine is better than yours, yours is better than mine... each to their own I say...

16. beetlejuice69

beetlejuice69 Registered Member

I just bought Nod and it`s the best...in my PC. :)

17. Stephanos G.

Stephanos G. Registered Member

welcome to the club :D

18. beetlejuice69

Haha yeah thanks. I really don`t know why other`s use something else. :)

19. Randy_Bell

Randy_Bell Registered Member

:D :D I think in the MarketPlace it's call free competition and choice. To use a baseball analogy: Cubs fans can't understand why anyone would root for the Cardinals, but they do; Yankees fans can't understand why anyone would root for the Red Sox, but they do; hehe .. :D :D

20. JimIT

JimIT Registered Member

"Damn Yankees..."

:D

21. JRCATES

JRCATES Registered Member

Very true....good analogy, Randy.

I remember seeing someone else post about this in another thread, but I think that they made a great point worth repeating. WE ALL.....want to think what we're using is "the best". Kind of a "pound our chest" and brag a little sort of thing. In a forum like this, with certain companies and products represented, it's not surprising that certain "polls" and comments for specific products will receive strong support. Heck, the products I am using get little to no fanfare here (McAfee AV, Spyware Doctor, TrojanHunter, etc), but that's OK....to me, it's just like being a Red Sox fan and living in New York. You may be outnumbered where you are, but in the grand scheme of things you know that there are several other Red Sox fans around the country or world just like you, and that you're definitely not alone (this is just an analogy, because I am neither a Red Sox Fan nor do I live in New York ;) ).....

22. fzxbeetle

McAfee is very popular in some countries. McAfee is very good.

23. Defenestration

Defenestration Registered Member

Nope. It just means it will be quicker, not less CPU intensive.

KIS/KAV 2006 does. However, you should also look at Disk I/O, as well as CPU usage since high uses of either will result in a sluggish system.

24. beetlejuice69

Hey there Randy I know exactly what you mean. I was a diehard fan of one team, but over the years I finally got tired of them losing so I switched. Do you see a patern here? :)

25. rothko

rothko Registered Member

i dont know if it's the same all over the world, but over here in the uk apparently 8 out of 10 cats prefer Whiskas. My cat isnt so keen. Just thought i'd share! :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.