One potential caveate relative to snapshot restorations.

Discussion in 'backup, imaging & disk mgmt' started by ratchet, Apr 8, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ratchet

ratchet Registered Member

Recently I've noticed a lot of interest in Rback, etc. One of the great features these programs (Rb, E-F, AyR, CTM) provide is the ability to boot into the programs by tapping the "Home" key at boot and select a restoration point if experiencing the BSOD. However, if your keyboard is a USB keyboard, your BIOS has to support the capability to power the USB ports at boot. My XP Pent 4 does not support that functionality. Fortunately I do have a PS/2 keyboard handy should I need to boot from the "Home" key. The other alternative is to purchase an AC powered USB hub (like $5 on ebay). So make sure you can enter your application's console at boot!

2. bgoodman4

bgoodman4 Registered Member

Thanks for this tip.

3. CloneRanger

CloneRanger Registered Member

Yes good tip :thumb:

Apart from snapshot etc uses, but generally.

How would people be expected to get into safe mode, or set and use a bios PW etc, if they can't use a USB KB before the OS loads ? Sounds like they can't, in which case very bad design planning :(

4. aladdin

aladdin Registered Member

Both my USB Keyboard and Mouse are powered. However, sometimes the keyboard doesn't work at boot time, even I have given permission as such to legacy USB in BIOS. This is due to Microsoft giving more prominence to the old, old floppy drive than to the USB ports.

I have a regular keyboard handy too, for those times. Both keyboards are plugged in, but the PS/2 keyboard is kept on the side.

5. ratchet

ratchet Registered Member

Absolutely correct! If the keyboard also contains PS/2 logic there are - from PS/2 port to USB adapters. Unfortunately my Logitech illuminated keyboard (which I love by the way) only has USB logic. I can't even recall the last time on the desktop I needed to enter the BIOS or Safe mode. I believe if I did that even "infrequently" I'd go the way of the powered USB hub. For once a year or less I'll just whip out the PS/2. I'll probably need it today or tomorrow with a possible 17 MS updates patching a possible 64 vulnerabilities. lol

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.