One last cry for help

Discussion in 'ESET Smart Security' started by damrootkits, Jun 7, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. damrootkits

damrootkits Registered Member

Hello, I will keep this as brief as possible in the hope somebody will take the time to read it.

1. I open a file from friend, which i had scanned with eset "smart" security.
    2. Next day eset icon goes red and says i do not have current update.
    3. I disable eset and reinable. All seems well.
    4. I go to do some internet banking, firefox warns "untrusted site" Alarm bells start to ring.
    5. I decide to restore, but all restore points have vanished.
    6. I contact eset, they send me an email suggesting i download a heap of third party AV programs. All free they say. My faith in eset hits rock bottom and i wonder why i pay them to protect my computer, when obviously they don't. Why didn't real time file protection system work?? However i do what they suggest, as far as i can tell no virus is found by any of the suggested programs. (eset rogueav cleaner, malwarebytes, combofix, ccleaner)
    7. I try once again to connect to internet banking but still get the "untrusted site" message.
    8.I post my first ever post on any forum, in the hope that some super hero comes to my rescue. (but secretly resign myself to an fdisk, and the hell that comes with it.)
    9. I retire to bed praying the rising sun brings my hero. Goodnight.
    10. Toss and turn all night wondering why i didn't backup my hardrive onto that shiney new external drive i bought a week ago.

2. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

First of all, it is important to understand that NO security software provides 100% protection and detects 100% of all threats. However, since the other tools didn't reveal anything there's a good chance your computer is perfectly clean. Could you post here a screenshot of the message about untrusted site?

3. MasterTB

MasterTB Registered Member

The problem you post here (From Today 10:09 AM) seems strangely familiar to the one you post here: https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=274238 with a few minor changes. (from Yesterday, 02:39 AM)
    Do you own two machines and the same happened on both of them? and if not, what is the timeline for both problems? Did you have time to solve the first problem and the same thing happened to you again overnight?

It seems rather impossible to believe your bad luck (if we can call it that).

If what you are posting really happened, maybe the problem was not your friend's hard drive (first problem) or your friend's file (second problem) but something on your machine...

4. damrootkits

THANKYOU for your replys. I greatly apprieciate it.

Firstly, marcos, Im pretty green when it comes to posting in forums. I will attempt to post a screenshot, once i've educated myself on how to. I am also going to contact the bank concerned and see what they can do.

MasterTB, I did not realize my first posting had worked, as previously mentioned, im a little green. I had however tryed eset's solutions by the time i posted the second post. So to clarify, the two posts refer to the same problem, not two different one's. I don't believe the problem lies within my computer, as everything was going along nicely untill i opened the game file from my friends harddrive. It was after that, that mozilla and the restore facility started playing up.

Well i have downloaded several security programs since the problem began. I have, unhackme, hijack this, spybot search and destroy, ad-aware, spyware doctor, as well as the others mentioned in my origanal post. I will take your advice masterTB and send eset a sysinspector log. Do you suggest i send them any of the other progams logs??

Lastly, just a couple of questions if i may.
    1. If i had used my head and backed up my computer. Would i have just been able to go back and restore, or would the rootkit have still been present?

2. If no one AV is adequate, to what extent and cost, must one go to, to ensure cover? Is there a thread i should be reading about all this?

Once again, thankyou for your time.;)

5. Meriadoc

Meriadoc Registered Member

6. MasterTB

MasterTB Registered Member

Sorry if it seemed harsh but since you created a new thread it sounded like a new problem.
    My advice: never open a file no mater the source without doing a scan first but, DO NOT DO AN INTELLIGENT SCAN do a FULL SCAN with all options enabled, that way you reduce the chance of an infection, even, use Advanced Heuristics on pen drives and other removable media, just to be safe.
    Always have a back up of your personal data on a safe media (DVD or a spare HD).
    And it does not hurt to make yourself familiar with a standalone av cleaner like malwarebytes, just to make a scan in cases like this and narrow the search for potential malware.
    If you get infected, check your hosts file, some malware is known to insert false addresses there that lead you to untrusted sites, it has happened to me on past times so I always keep it clean and backed up.

7. damrootkits

Oh dear! How embarrasing. But, in the hope that this information can help others i will tell the tale.

I took your advice Marcos and sent a log to eset customer care. Mind you, it was not with out some pushing. The individual involved was quite insistant i complete all his previous suggestions first. Which i had anyway. To prove this he requested i send the logs from the programs he had suggested i run.

He immediatly emailed me back informing me my computer clock was incorrect.

My wife, in her wisdom , had used the date and time properties, to check a date in the future. Changing the system date at the same time. It was pure coinsadence she had done this around the same time i had opened what i believed was a dodgy file.
    Once i changed the date back, firefox no longer gave me untrusted site, messages. Because all there security signatures were back in date.

I am assuming this was also the reason none of my previous restores were present. Although i am still unable to access these. Im assuming ccleaner or one of the programs i ran removed these. Im still a little concerned thou as i cannot navagate through the months.

Anyway, i have certainly gained some education. I will more than likely do and fdisk anyway and have a good read of the link meriadoc suggested. Well thank you all kindly and i look forward to your jibes.

PS. excuse my spelling, is there a spell check on the posting page??
    Edit/Delete Message

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.