One crash after another today!

Discussion in 'privacy problems' started by LinuxNewb, Dec 1, 2014.

1. LinuxNewb

LinuxNewb Registered Member

So i am new to linux i have been using ubuntu and up and till today i have been doing okay. HA well i turned on my computer today and fired up my VPN and bam not working so i removed it and re installed it and got it working. Then i am on pidgin and that crashes seems it erased all my generated keys on all my accounts so i had to remove the otr plugin and re install that because it kept crashing my pidgin when i tried to generate new keys. Then i tried to login to my email and it says wrong password so at this point i am ready to cry seems i am locked out of my paid account and i had no back up way to get in so there goes that. I am wondering if anybody might have any insight into what is causing all these problems? Like i said i am new to linux and i did use a ccleaner last night is it possible i could of damaged my computer with it? I have been reading wilders off and on for a few years and love the info i have found here and would really appreciate some feedback on my post! Thank You

2. mirimir

mirimir Registered Member

Maybe you cleaned too much?

If you feel compelled to clean, use FDE instead, in my opinion.

3. stapp

stapp Global Moderator

Also please note from Piriform documentation

4. LinuxNewb

I used BleachBit, i changed a few settings i wonder if that is what did it. Mirimir what kind of FDE do u think i should use?

5. mirimir

mirimir Registered Member

In Linux, it's most straightforward to use dm-crypt/LUKS. The Debian installer, for example, has an option to use the full disk with LUKS. As of v14, even the alternate Ubuntu installer doesn't do LUKS.

Using dm-crypt/LUKS, there's no deniability. There's plainly a LUKS header on your disk. You can wipe the header, and restore it as needed to mount the encrypted volume. But then you have a header backup to hide somewhere.

It is possible to create encrypted partitions without headers, which can be embedded in randomness. But that's more technical. And it fails against tools that can reveal when particular disk areas were last written.

6. Veeshush

Veeshush Registered Member

You got too many things mentioned at once, dude. If you're brand new to Linux I'd take it one step at a time, cause if ya do too many things at once, you'll never know what broke what.

Especially take it easy on the Bleachbit till you know what's being cleaned.

7. zapjb

zapjb Registered Member

I agree Bleachbit overcleaning in root mode done you in.

8. LinuxNewb

I agree Veeshush i am not good enough with linux yet to attempt FDE i am still learning. I try hard though :) its a process lol

Zapjb do u really think Bleachbit could of caused that much damage and could of erased that much stuff? I changed the settings and when i ran it i saw some of what it erased and thought oh crap. I used bleachbit on my PC for a year or so but the linux is so different!

9. zapjb

zapjb Registered Member

Yes I believe you fubared it. Afair Bleachbit throws off all sorts of warnings when using less than safe settings & you ignored them. There ya go. Ime the warnings in Linux are 10x more important than the ones Windows throws up.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.